Hi fellow scripters,

Initially we had hoped to release the major upgrade to our scripting technology with Patch 1.03, but we were not able to get it fully implemented in time. Therefore we're pushing the ability to use Java to the next patch :yay:

Java is available since beta patch rev. 89707 (documentation)

Why is this awesomeâ„¢?

• Using a widespread, proven and robust language with loads of documentation and tutorials.
  • Using IDEs such as NetBeans and Eclipse for development and debugging.
  • Using Object-Oriented programming architecture and design.
  • Using generally much higher performance script execution.
  • Using many standard Java libraries instead of reinventing the wheel.

Note: this will not replace SQF scripting, so the transition should be smooth.

Edited by DnA
Added information about Java available in beta patch

Holy fucknuggets! :yay:

So what exactly does this Java implementation support? Can it basically do anything Java can do, including multithreading, file operations, GUI stuff etc.? :cool:

Btw. now I feel really bad about this post. :D

EDIT: Also, how does this change the interaction with objects in the world? Can we now use an OO style to access methods and properties of units, triggers etc.? If not, how are the basic SQF scripting commands mapped to Java? (Considering the syntax differences, etc.)

Edited by MadDogX

Few random remarks:

• the engine should be be able to run code written in any programming language that can compiled for Java Virtual Machine but we did not experiment with it so far ( quite few, Logo anyone ;) )
  • for now, bridge to all existing scripting commands is present
  • it is possible create new scripting commands to take full advantage of JVM (performance, nicer interface)
  • Arma 3 is going to build upon this technology, so if you can, Take On Java now and help us to shape it up

Ha, finally, the reveal!!

Cannot wait to get our hands on this one!

Ha, finally, the reveal!!

Cannot wait to get our hands on this one!

Indeed. I have so many questions about this, I could probably keep writing until my fingers bleed. :D

Time to get into Java!

Guess its time I began to learn a new programming language then. At least I can use this with minecraft :)))

Dan;2073120']Guess its time I began to learn a new programming language then. At least I can use this with minecraft :)))

Perhaps we could write our own Minecraft clone as a minigame within the game. :D

Man, I'm really burning to know what capabilities this Java implementation will have. :)

Why did they have to announce it so early? It's coming in Patch 3 but Patch 2 isn't even out yet. Hopefully there be some kind of beta release so we can try it out ASAP. :D

Dan;2073120']Guess its time I began to learn a new programming language then. At least I can use this with minecraft :)))

indeed, there is no better motivation for learning to code. :yay:

Troll?

He's the official troll of the BIS forums. Check his other posts... :rolleyes:

Wonder how many bugs this will bring.

As many as you care to write in your Java code :yay: But now you'll be able to debug them properly in an IDE (breakpoints, much :p)

Oh my, Oh my! Hurrah I can write missions in Coldfusion!!

Everyone also learn how to comment please! In my real life job I have to try and work out what a one line Java statement does when some wise guy has squeezed a 10,000 line program into one unmaintainable line of Java shortcode! Or worse a whole program which is just one big regular expression!

How is this working with sqf/sqs?

How very exciting!

funny is that the Cup full of Java hint in other thread wasn't taken enough seriously :)

Edited by Dwarden

funny is that the Cup full of Java hint in other thread wasn't taken enough seriously :)

Looking back at that thread - it is so bloody obvious now! I guess that nobody dared actually hope that you would implement something like this. This is a massive step forward.

It would be good to see some example scripts when it does arrive so we can get the hang of it within the ToH environment.

Edited by Dwarden
fixing my own typo

IIRC Java was one of the most targeted software for security exploits even more than Flash. Just curious how you make sure that exploits/hacks/cheats/... don't break the gameplay of ToH/A3? Its nice to use a open game but this opens another can of worms too. ;)

I'm not even talented in sqf. Now i have to learn Java :)

Anyway this is great news. A few days ago i actually thought this was going to be lua.

It was too obvious to be taken seriously, and to be honest I thought (and still think) Java is a very unlikely choice for an embedded scripting language. :)

IIRC Java was one of the most targeted software for security exploits even more than Flash. Just curious how you make sure that exploits/hacks/cheats/... don't break the gameplay of ToH/A3? Its nice to use a open game but this opens another can of worms too. ;)

With great power comes great responsibility. Hopefully the ability of the JVM to interact with resources outside of the game environment (especially the file system) will be very carefully controlled.

But this is a very good point. Just like malicious Java apps are used for "drive-by attacks" on anyone who stumbles upon the attackers website, similar attacks could be perpetrated by people hosting a specially crafted mission on an MP server. It's not a pleasent thought.

Yes! thanks for Java! Its open more 'fields for improvisation'! waiting :) this in Arma 3 too! (actualy for A3?)

Im still new to this scripting but thought i had a basic understanding of sqf. How is java better? performance is what i heard mentioned. But is it a similar format to what we already know? It makes me feel slightly better seeing the experts excited by the change.

I see the excitement from the community here and I wish I could share it, but until I see examples this new scripting implemented in a mission, I will continue to be ignorant of the importance of this announcement. :confused:

Im still new to this scripting but thought i had a basic understanding of sqf.

haha i don't even have a solid grasp on sqs/sqf!! now this java?! grrr... But, I could see how the scripting gurus would be excited!