Java was pretty much an experiment and it has been confirmed in multiple places by multiple people that its not going to be developed any further, at least not in the near future.

Hi could you please clarify this staement , i havent seen such Declaration , would be nice to read it.

As far as SQF and performance goes it is fine if you know how to use it. ACRE does roughly 500-3000+ operations PER FRAME depending on the load/circumstances with no appreciable performance loss, and that includes real time radio signal calculations covering huge distances in the game world.

SQF certainly is very good indeed , 500- 3000 + operations per frame is a mind boggling statement :) and i think BIS themselves should use it in there advertising , however , seems like you have certainly got the hang of when and how to execute code .

However if i may ,your statement has just written off this thread and halted any optimism here for me, because if your doing that in sqf i need to revisit the code i`m using or re evaluate the actions taken from those operations :).

I'd have to look for the ticket, but I believe it was posted on DH that Java will not be a full replacement for SQF, and I confirmed with Dwarden on Skype that Java is something that is not being focused on. Sorry I can't find more specifics now, but I believe that DnA or Suma made the statement on DH.

As far as SQF goes, just remember that the scheduler sucks, if you ever need to do anything high performance it needs to be done in non-scheduled execution space. That is the key!

While I agree having a more advanced language like Java would be nice, I think that SQF is more than adequate for what is done in Arma, and there is really nothing preventing people from doing things like preprocessing other languages into SQF or writing an advanced SQF syntax and having it work via call extension or some other means.

While I agree having a more advanced language like Java would be nice, I think that SQF is more than adequate for what is done in Arma, and there is really nothing preventing people from doing things like preprocessing other languages into SQF or writing an advanced SQF syntax and having it work via call extension or some other means.

Well before your revelation that java is now paused , I might of said , but we are in a java thread in TOH and the developers have given us the tools ,however now your post make sense if they are not really progressing the java , I thought it would be in A3 and so this would be test ground .

Ah we'll I will look at this alternative you mention and thanks for heads up

I'd have to look for the ticket, but I believe it was posted on DH that Java will not be a full replacement for SQF, and I confirmed with Dwarden on Skype that Java is something that is not being focused on. Sorry I can't find more specifics now, but I believe that DnA or Suma made the statement on DH.

I looked through the tickets on DH and didn't see any statements saying Java would not be developed any further. In fact, Java was announced as a major scripting upgrade for A3. After all the hype about Java it seems like a huge waste of resources to put that much work into the Java API and then not develop it any further.

Anyone know how to use log4j (logging http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/) in solution for TOH.

When I try usage log4j - called method not executed, not raise any exception or errors in ToH.rpt

commenting log4j usage and method entryPoint called successfully (have reporting rpt), but with log4j - nothing, have empty rpt :(

import org.apache.log4j.Logger;
import org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator;
import com.bistudio.JNIScripting.RVEngine;

public class takeonSample {

static final Logger logger = Logger.getLogger(takeonSample.class);

public static Object entryPoint(Object [] args) {

RVEngine.diag_log("jMission| entryPoint| start");

DOMConfigurator.configure("jmission.log4j.xml");
	logger.info("jMission entryPoint - begin");		
	logger.info("jMission entryPoint - end");	
      }
}

Edited by Maestro

https://dev-heaven.net/projects/jvm

all bugs not accepted and not assigned to anybody. :( some bugs more then 10months with Created state :(

Someone will fix bugs related with TOH and Java

or java for arma2 / TOH - dead-born feature?

I submitted two blocker bugs, they are affected to securities and logging features. :j: so currently can't develop/investigate Java for ToH.

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/70025

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/70202

Edited by Maestro

In Java Strings are internally UTF-16, so maybe the engine does not properly ensure it gets the encoding always right .. ?

In Java Strings are internally UTF-16, so maybe the engine does not properly ensure it gets the encoding always right .. ?

Strings in Java are in modified UTF-8.

By the way, M. Odersky is re-doing Functional Programming in Scala course.

https://twitter.com/odersky/statuses/293835475666497538

https://www.coursera.org/course/progfun

Scala is (<flamebait>best</flamebait>) JVM language.

@Maestro:

This may workaround the encoding problem (tired of waiting for password reset mail so posting here):

Charset osCharset = Charset.defaultCharset();
Charset rvCharset = Charset.forName("latin1");
String userDir = osCharset.decode(rvCharset.encode(RVDirectories.getUserDirectory()));

You can try doing reverse (os -> rv) for second bug. Also post full stack traces ;).

Edited by batto

sorry to repeat this post here in and amra 3, but i am not sure if different projects / people.

hi with your java support did you have to write a lot of jni code to get back to your engine or sqf, other c/win32, ect.

if so you may want to take a look at Jenie something I created a long time ago for Java. it allows you to call native api and they call back and pass back and forth and manipulate complex data structures without having to write any JNI code!

check it out! if you like use it, just dont forget i'm the one that slaved to create all that java/c/c++ code :)

http://mjgoya.blogspot.com/p/servertec-software-projects.html

Edited by i_2_i

I hope (also if i'm also a Java programmer) that BIS still allowto execute sqf and sqs scripts

SQF still works in A3 and ToH. I used a large a2 sqf in A3 with no problems. So no worries on that side :)

Thanks for nice sharing!:p

---------- Post added at 02:00 ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 ----------

I hope (also if i'm also a Java programmer) that BIS still allowto execute sqf and sqs scripts

My English is also bad, Google took me here for learning some about java.:o