Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Take On Java

1.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #1

Cool Take On Java

Hi fellow scripters,

Initially we had hoped to release the major upgrade to our scripting technology with Patch 1.03, but we were not able to get it fully implemented in time. Therefore we're pushing the ability to use Java to the next patch

Java is available since beta patch rev. 89707 (documentation)

Why is this awesome™?
    • Using a widespread, proven and robust language with loads of documentation and tutorials.
    • Using IDEs such as NetBeans and Eclipse for development and debugging.
    • Using Object-Oriented programming architecture and design.
    • Using generally much higher performance script execution.
    • Using many standard Java libraries instead of reinventing the wheel.

Note: this will not replace SQF scripting, so the transition should be smooth.
    Last edited by DnA; Feb 22 2012 at 14:21. Reason: Added information about Java available in beta patch
    Bohemia Interactive
    Arma 3 - Project Lead
    Watch us, tweet us, poke us

Take On Helicopters - Project Lead
    Take On Noisecontrollers!

Holy fucknuggets!

So what exactly does this Java implementation support? Can it basically do anything Java can do, including multithreading, file operations, GUI stuff etc.?

Btw. now I feel really bad about this post.

EDIT: Also, how does this change the interaction with objects in the world? Can we now use an OO style to access methods and properties of units, triggers etc.? If not, how are the basic SQF scripting commands mapped to Java? (Considering the syntax differences, etc.)
    Last edited by MadDogX; Dec 16 2011 at 07:59.

Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3 Motherboard | Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.0GHz | NVidia GeForce GTX770 4GB
    16GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz RAM | Kingston HyperX SSD | ASUS Xonar D2X
    sound | be Quiet! 700W PSU | Windows 7 x64

3.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #3
    Few random remarks:

• the engine should be be able to run code written in any programming language that can compiled for Java Virtual Machine but we did not experiment with it so far ( quite few, Logo anyone )
    • for now, bridge to all existing scripting commands is present
    • it is possible create new scripting commands to take full advantage of JVM (performance, nicer interface)
    • Arma 3 is going to build upon this technology, so if you can, Take On Java now and help us to shape it up
    Marek Spanel - CEO www.bistudio.com

Ha, finally, the reveal!!

Cannot wait to get our hands on this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Sickboy View Post
    Ha, finally, the reveal!!

Cannot wait to get our hands on this one!
    Indeed. I have so many questions about this, I could probably keep writing until my fingers bleed.

Time to get into Java!

That's a real christmas present!

Thank you so much!

Tactics | Teamwork | Training

Linux Arma Server Skype Chat

Master Gunnery Sergeant
    Guess its time I began to learn a new programming language then. At least I can use this with minecraft ))
    My custom missions:
    TOH - COOP5 Operation Pegasus http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...ration-Pegasus
    TOH - COOP Convoy attack (both Hinds and stock versions) http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...-Convoy-Attack
    A2CO Multi-mission Template http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...48#post2182048
    Basic Vehicle respawn script (A3 Alpha) http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...72#post2389272

[EVO] Multigaming Clan is recuiting at ts3.evoclan.net

Quote Originally Posted by [EVO] Dan View Post
    Guess its time I began to learn a new programming language then. At least I can use this with minecraft ))
    Perhaps we could write our own Minecraft clone as a minigame within the game.

Man, I'm really burning to know what capabilities this Java implementation will have.

Why did they have to announce it so early? It's coming in Patch 3 but Patch 2 isn't even out yet. Hopefully there be some kind of beta release so we can try it out ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by [EVO] Dan View Post
    indeed, there is no better motivation for learning to code.
    ** DISCUSS THE LIMNOS INCIDENT AT OUR FORUMS! WWWHELPIVANMARTIN.ORG/FORUMS ***
    Show your support to Ivan Martin! - embed this javascript snippet on your site!
    Spoiler:

download.armedassault.eu - The Unofficial BIS Download mirror.
    Interview with Marek Spanel (nov2012) - http://www.helpivanmartin.org/2012/1...-marek-spanel/
    SahraniRadio - Ammo for your mind!

Wonder how many bugs this will bring.
    ArmA2: "Doc, I'm wounded, I can barely aim and I'm bleeding badly, come on pull my body out of the harm's way and treat me before I die!"
    ArmA3: "You are wounded! Click to instantly regenerate health whenever you feel like it!"

Giving 'authenticity' an entirely new meaning, together with Medal of Honor.

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast