Craig_VG

[TvT/FFA/CO-40] Dynamic Zombie Sandbox

it is possible to add some constructions?

so the survivors could make their own bases.

Thats all ready in the mission aint it I thought

Should come up on left menu when facing barriers etc in range.

unless u turned of the option for r3 logistics or what ever its called.

Great release Craig, worked well on my dedicated since 7 hours.

KILL KILL KILL

Well guys, after a lot of requests, I have finally granted a certain feature.

Helicopters. :D :P !

Here is the link, as usual:

http://bit.ly/1-05Testing

Known issues:

Also, if you are not seeing many zombies at the start, try turning the min zombie distance down. 25 meters is always fun.

This is as usual only for the CO version.

Edited by bobtom

Hi,

I noticed a bug with base capture missions. The marker does not update when a new base capture mission is launched. It happens because the old marker is not deleted, causing a conflict with marker name. I assumed that it was an intended behaviour so I made an hotfix who give each marker an unique marker name and change the color of old base marker.

http://nerro.fr/arma/SM4.sqf (I modified lines 21, 30 and 39 and added line 70)

This hotfix will cause a minor display bug for new players if using "exact position" marker parameter, but I did not want to modify more thing.

People keep spawning in the dessert off the map on zargabad is there a way to get the players spawn random in a radius around zargabad city?

Hi,

I noticed a bug with base capture missions. The marker does not update when a new base capture mission is launched. It happens because the old marker is not deleted, causing a conflict with marker name. I assumed that it was an intended behaviour so I made an hotfix who give each marker an unique marker name and change the color of old base marker.

http://nerro.fr/arma/SM4.sqf (I modified lines 21, 30 and 39 and added line 70)

This hotfix will cause a minor display bug for new players if using "exact position" marker parameter, but I did not want to modify more thing.

Thanks for the bug report, I''m pretty sure it has been fixed now, and the testing version has been updated:

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/40008

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

Also, I think the following ticket is fixed. @spam_one

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/40009

Well, I couldnt test it because its a CO version.

Just to complete, I added some informations and tutorials at Dev-Heaven Wiki, check it.

Thanks for all.

Edited by DeadFeeh

Awesome work again craig.

Hope you dont mind but had a few thoughts after trying to play DAYZ again the other day.

I know some of these have been touched on before but wondered if there was any new thoughts following your additional work on these.

Was wondering if you will ever put a food / hunger / repair system in here?

also I believe a persistant database was mentioned a while ago.

The reason I bring this up is after (trying) to play DAYZ again realised that one of the biggest problems is now hackers.

Now seeing as this and DAYZ are a survival game ( at least thats the part which I believe the most fun and different from other

The hacking in DAYZ kills the game totally however this could be solved easily by allowing admins to password or lock the server.

Now because this does run off a central database I can see the point of this but it doesnt help the server admins protect the server or their users.

Now with DZS I believe this could aspire to the role of a true survival game which allows users to log in with stuff they might have found / food etc and barricades / built bases still in place however this is only saved on the server that hosts the game.

Now personally I would run this probably on veteran, with low food / guns / vehicles - probably good for about 10 players.

Users would have to have a PW pm- through forums so would have to register, but thats all.

The advantages of this would be a game 'world' which those users could feel is their own to scavenge and barricade.

Server restart would of course refresh resources and zeds and would imagine a 'game' lasting 3 days to a week.

Now Im not trying to steel the thunder of DAYZ with these ideas, as I do prefer DZS and love the idea that DZS requires no mods which is a great strength.

..maybe this is not for the original DZS as you have built it - but a mission maybe created in parallel (based on the latest current version) could be an idea if any others have the talent (unfortunately I only have the ideas and limited scripting ability)

Would like to know what the DZS community think about this.

EDIT -

An additional idea I had was a more PvP oriented game with sides and scores (maybe 5v5 or 10v10).

No database on this one - but a scoreboard, side missions to fight over and both teams starting from predetermined fixed spawn points (bases) which can be extended and improved (but 2 or 3 set random spawn points).

More basic weapons ie no TWS or armored vehicles / helicopters.

Could be a fun competative element with zombie survival mixed in - if theres a way to sort the problem you had with sides and zed aggression.

Sorry for the long post but if I had the talent I would try this myself.

Hope something here is inspirational to youself or the other the talented scripters.

Thanks for the new version Craig it somewhat fixed the spawn in the desert on zargabad, people still spawn there but atleast now they spawn somewhere else when they click on respawn instead of an endless loop. We edited it by placing the spawn code from 1.0 to the 1.05 to see if it has something to do with Operation Arrowhead, because in 1.0 players didnt spawn off the map.

Great Craig !

I was away for some days and i discover so much new things and improvements tonight, i just put this on my dedicated and we test !

Can you tell us what kind of changes/new things you planned ?

Have fun ;)

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words.

DeadFeeh was kind enough to expand the wiki page on Dev-Heaven, and I think I'll do some work on that too. Maybe go into detail about each individual parameter.

He also added a cool new bandage HUD:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6891307/arma2oa%202012-08-05%2015-45-57-76.jpg

He will also be helping me with other things in the future.

As usual here is the link for the latest 1.05 beta:

Last updated: Thursday, ‎February ‎03, ‎2011, â€â€Ž5:53:25 PM

And total changelog for 1.05:

http://bit.ly/zyCBBY

I'll be rolling updates as fast as possible over the coming days.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

Testing version updated again with a new loading screeen by DeadFeeh:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6891307/DynamicZombieSandboxLogo.png (228 kB)

Avoh: Found a bug. Apparently, AI zombies will attack eachother sometimes (i think when they're trying to attack a player mainly). I don't think they'll actually kill eachother, you'll just hear the scream of someone being hit by them.

So I added boats.

They spawn by piers, not the big piers like at elektro, but the smaller, boat sized piers.

Just like Vehicles and Helicopters the boats are taken out of cfgVehicles, so if you play DZS with mods, it will automatically adjust to include any new mods you play with.

Here is a pic of a boat in some weeds.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6891307/arma2oa%202012-08-05%2022-47-46-24.jpg (177 kB)

As usual, use this link for 1.05 Beta:

@Avoh

They do get confused sometimes don't they? It's a little weird, yes. It only seems to happen when they are in groups, but my guess it is because two different clients are spawning the zombies, and they mistake each other for not being zombies. I'll look over the code in that area.

Edited by bobtom

Nice updates thanks.

P.S

I have been meaning to ask this for ages

how do I make it so every time I start this mission I dont have to keep setting the parameters basically what I set it to is there a way to make it save them settings as default?.

Nice updates thanks.

P.S

I have been meaning to ask this for ages

how do I make it so every time I start this mission I dont have to keep setting the parameters basically what I set it to is there a way to make it save them settings as default?.

I also think this is what the addon needs right now is some kinda parameters save option. I hate redoing the parameters every time I launch and I think thats the biggest thing that keeps me from launching it all the time. I would play it a lot more if there were something to save the options. It's all the playing with parameters that keeps me from launching constantly.

also tried to play this on lingor and it wouldn't load. Ok, it doesn't seem to just be lingor, I'm trying to load up chernarus too and I cant get it to go past half way of the loading time.

Edited by KushStar

Just tested latest version NONE DEDI this time for a change.

And wow runs so smooth very impressed.

I know I keep going on about it but please please make this ACE compatible at the moment there is no ACE goodies like

All the tools eg

Kestral,

goggles,

CSW weapons etc etc

Most of the ACE 2 features are broken eg

Cant deply weapon on ledges if I try to it makes the whole game stutter like a bugger and still never weapon rests

Cant transfer things into back pack

cant put weapons on back (the button just never highlights)

Any ways I am so loving this mission better than DAYZ for me any ways.

As I know you have said there may be food and water added in the future this will be epic.

All so I see zombies still spawn near you basically I can kill some and about 300m more spawn in plain view please remove this some how or make them spawn even further out.

All so can we have a bit more view distance optoins I would love to see 2000m

But so far this is awseome and I really do respect you taking the time to make this for us.

Thanks

I dont know how the new spawn works but can we have zeds that spawn further away at the moment I can scout a town and its clear move in and I am surrounded I assum they spawn once i get closer.

Out of curiosity, Craig, you said you added a city to the map somewhere last night on your zargabad server? Was curious what map editor you use to add such a thing. (I've tried the 3D editor and it just shames every game to exist >_>)

Great work on this, but there are two things currently that are keeping me from really enjoying it:

1) Weapons seem way too scarce to play on default settings. I'd like to start with no weapon and then find one, but it seems that most of the time I spawn in one of the many Cherno cities that have no enterable buildings, and even the ones that do rarely have anything in them in terms of loot. I've only once found a weapon and it was in the back of a car. If I try to drive a car, I get chased by endless zombies and even if I am going full speed, they manage to somehow hit my car and damage it severely. Which brings me to my other point...

2) Zombies still chase you forever. This is incredibly frustrating trying to find weapons, because they gain aggro on you from pretty far (I think 500m by default), and then chase you or your car forever, and it's virtually impossible to lose them. I was about 300m from one chasing me, so I ran into a building, up the stairs, and around a corner. They still managed to climb the stairs and find me instantly.

Great work on this, but there are two things currently that are keeping me from really enjoying it:

1) Weapons seem way too scarce to play on default settings. I'd like to start with no weapon and then find one, but it seems that most of the time I spawn in one of the many Cherno cities that have no enterable buildings, and even the ones that do rarely have anything in them in terms of loot. I've only once found a weapon and it was in the back of a car. If I try to drive a car, I get chased by endless zombies and even if I am going full speed, they manage to somehow hit my car and damage it severely. Which brings me to my other point...

2) Zombies still chase you forever. This is incredibly frustrating trying to find weapons, because they gain aggro on you from pretty far (I think 500m by default), and then chase you or your car forever, and it's virtually impossible to lose them. I was about 300m from one chasing me, so I ran into a building, up the stairs, and around a corner. They still managed to climb the stairs and find me instantly.

1) Turn the amount of weapons up, then. You can have it set to every vehicle if you want.

2) I can add a parameter for when they give up their chase, currently it is at 400 meters, which as far as I know is the default for Celery's missions. It does seem a little far out indeed, though. Once they aggro, hiding won't help, they are locked on your scent.

Out of curiosity, Craig, you said you added a city to the map somewhere last night on your zargabad server? Was curious what map editor you use to add such a thing. (I've tried the 3D editor and it just shames every game to exist >_>)

I don't recall saying this, you must have misheard me, I've never made a city on Zargabad. I know Epple was talking about some of the crazy bases he has made, but I sure haven't spawned a city.

@stk2008

I'll add some more distance parameters.

For the zombie spawn distance, you can change the parameter up to 200 meters, but I suppose that still isn't far enough?. I can try some huge distances and see how it works. It might create a nice new mission dynamic indeed. Put performance might be sacrificed as a result.

@Saving parameters

You can't save parameters from the server screen by default in ArmA. Just isn't possible. You could change it in the description.ext file within the mission folder. The defaults are all mapped out, just change the default to the value you prefer.

Another way I found with a quick google is to change the parameters within the server.cfg itself (only for dedi obviously). I haven't tried this, and I am not sure how it works, but someone could give it a shot if they want:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.cfg#ArmA_II:_Operation_Arrowhead_-_multiple_mission_parameters_configuration

@ Zombie death noises when you are not killing zombies.

I looked into this, they are not dying, they just sound like it. The sound files got mixed up, and the death sound was added to the zombie idle sounds, so it will sound like they are dying when they are just chilling somewhere.

@ People getting stuck on loading screen.

I haven't experienced this at all, even with trying many, many islands. Could you send me your arma2oa.rpt file? @craigvandergalien@gmail.com

Finally, here is the latest version with the sound fixes implemented and I got rid of some debug stuff from the boats:

I hope to be back tomorrow with more updates,

Thanks all and good night,

Craig

Ive been running zargabad now for +32 hours non-stop without a restart mainly for pvp so i turned the amount of zombies to 10 =D it totally looks like a warzone out here,

most of the buildings are destructed and few cars (medium amount) are still working, +700 bodies all over the map and undiscovered bases of players are yet to be discovered

today i tried to hide myself and a friend inside the back of a truck in a mission spawned army base, waiting for a player to take the truck and drive it to their base so we could

pop out on arrival and kill them all, after 20minuts waiting we only saw one guy that stopped by and then drove off in a hurry without taking the truck.. better luck next time I guess