we are happy to announce a new community event: a competition for map makers!
Beginning from today (13 December, 2011) everyone who is interested can submit a terrain that does not violate the competition's rules (see below) until 13 March, 2012.
The submission, if valid, will be evaluated by a jury consisting of renown community members and (lead) BI developers, each judging different aspects of a terrain.
The aspects are, but may not be limited to the following:
- Beauty: is the terrain pure eye candy or simply an eyesore straight from hell?
- Usefulness: does the terrain offer awesome possibilities for missions and gameplay?
- Technical quality: is the terrain and everything related to it properly set up and working correctly?
Winners will be announced on 13 April, 2012.
The main idea behind this competition is to interest people that have never before made a terrain, or tried to but then lost interest. To ensure people will make it through the entire project, we have limited the submissions to small terrain dimensions only.
The following rules apply to this competition:
- The submitted terrain's dimensions have to be 5120 m × 5120 m or 4096 m x 4096 m.
- Third party content is allowed if it was released before 13 December, 2011.
- You are only allowed to submit a single entry.
- You must not publicly release your terrain until the competition is finished (13 April, 2012).
- Your terrain must use a fake tag for anonymity. We recommend using XYZ_ or TUT_ as addon tag.
- Your terrain must not deliberately be able to reveal your name to the jury.
This is not a newbie vs. veteran competition. Prizes will be awarded in the following categories:
- Best terrain overall
- Best terrain by a new terrain maker
- Second-best terrain by a new terrain maker
Each winner will receive a Steam version of Take On Helicopters and a Take On Helicopters T-Shirt (Size L).
Also every submission will receive jury's feedback and tips to help you improve your terrain making skills.
We are strongly encouraging you to share this after the competition is over, so all the terrain makers out there can benefit from this.
How to submit:
When you have created your terrain, store the .pbo file(s) in a .zip or .rar or .7z archive and upload it to any free file hosting service.
Then send this link to W0lle together with this small form that you fill out:
Needed addons (if any):
By submitting a terrain to this competition I agree not to release it to the public until this competition is finished to ensure that the jury will not be able to associate this terrain with its maker in order to prevent biased judgment.
Since the idea behind this competition is to motivate new terrain artists, we've gathered the most recent and up-to-date community tutorials for developing terrains:
A full step-by-step guide can be found here:
For a detailed initial tools setup & Visitor 3 configuration...
... this tutorial will direct you to complete Sgt Ace's Tutorial at an appropriate point and should also serve as a basic introduction to the technical/structural aspects of the fileset you'll need.
The most useful resource of all, of course, is the Arma 2 & OA: Terrain (Visitor) forum section, together with the established mapmakers who hang out there...
A good search of that forum section will turn up answers to most problems and, if not, that's the place to ask for advice.