Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Battleship: The film

Great, now they're trying tabletop templates as movie plots? What's next, tag? Hide and seek? I-show-you-mine-you-show-me-yours? hahahaha

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by ])rStrangelove View Post
    Great, now they're trying tabletop templates as movie plots? What's next, tag? Hide and seek? I-show-you-mine-you-show-me-yours? hahahaha
    There were some pretty good film trailer parodies on CollegeHumor a while back about MineSweeper and Hungry Hungry Hippos. Pretty funny.

As for this one... looks like someone rolled Battle LA, Skyline and Independence Day into one big, mediocre film. Sprinkle some Liam Neeson in there for good measure and you have yourself a wonderful dime-a-dozen, run-of-the-mill action flick. It will probably be semi-enjoyable if you turn your brain off before viewing.
    Last edited by MadDogX; Dec 14 2011 at 18:10.

Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3 Motherboard | Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.0GHz | NVidia GeForce GTX770 4GB
    16GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz RAM | Kingston HyperX SSD | ASUS Xonar D2X
    sound | be Quiet! 700W PSU | Windows 7 x64

Quote Originally Posted by VanhA-ICON View Post
    One of these again, eh?
    I thought first it's yet another rip-off from asian movies like
    Space Battleship Yamato but I guess it's not?

I'll choose the Yamato over this one...

@Raynor:
    You must be thinking of Gary Oldman, who is the greatest actor?
    In your dreams, there is a reason his last name is old man :P. Though the plot is cliche in that there is an underachieving officer who could be so much more (almost an ode to Behind Enemy Lines) I am sure the action scenes will make up for it. They should have got Michael Bay to direct.

Soldier 1 - B,19
    Soldier 2 - You sunk your own ship
    Soldier 1 - How?

Directed by M. Night Shyamalan

As for this one... looks like someone rolled Battle LA, Skyline and Independence Day into one big, mediocre film. Sprinkle some Liam Neeson in there for good measure and you have yourself a wonderful dime-a-dozen, run-of-the-mill action flick. It will probably be semi-enjoyable if you turn your brain off before viewing.
    Exactly what I thought, same old shit but on water. I would rather watch waterworld while being hit with a bat, seriously.

Battleshit

SICK OF IDIOTS & STEAM.

*Contains spoilers* (for those that may care)

I've seen the film and I like it, but it is quite flawed. Namely the script, characters and the plot structure is a little all over the place. The action is quite good and the effects are very well made but I found it to be quite sparse. There's clever references to the boardgame but they don't make the most of the concept. Instead of this being a Battle of Midway type fleet on fleet action. We just get three destroyers going up against three warships. We lose two and so it's just up to one to finish them off before taking on the 'super ship'. It just feels a bit conservative as if they were afraid to go with the concept fully. The bit with the battleship will either be viewed as inspired or utterly senseless. I won't say more on that one. I think Liam Neeson and Alexander Skarsgård were sorely underused, Rihanna didn't get her clothes off but she got them wet. She was all right actually, not as horrible as I first thought she would be. The alien ships have a slight Transformers feel to them but they're interesting with their missile pegs (yes you heard that correctly). The infantry are like the spare characters of Crysis 1 and 2, but they work. Their motives for wanting to conquer us isn't made clear - was it born out of warmongering or desperation? Quite a few people think who shot first is ambiguous and actually think the US Navy started an interstellar war. I think they were spoiling for a fight and simply wanted to get a good look at our weapons before opening up. There is a fair bit of weapon fetishising so military buffs will be pleased if a little dulled by what's going on in the film. Scriptwise it's a non-floater but the action, the end sequence and the music just about prevent this needing a lifeboat.

3/5

I have to say I find it amusing whenever someone criticises the concept of a story. Pretty much all stories of fantasy are rooted in the ridiculous. Is it honestly less ludicrous to have a story where a guy devotes his whole life to dressing up as a bat, beating up criminals with an obliging butler? Or a galaxy far far away where a guy wears a Toys 'R' Us costume with a rebreather and swings a glowy sword? It's how you ground the story in some sort of reality, such as conveying enough drama and making the characters and their surroundings compelling enough that's important. Not whether the story comes from a boardgame or the comics
    ASUS Sabertooth X79 ¦ Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz ¦ Corsair H100i CPU Cooler ¦ Patriot Divsion 4 Viper Xtreme 16GB ¦ Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD ¦ Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb SSD ¦ Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 ¦ Creative X-fi Xtreme Gamer ¦ Fractal Design Define R4 ¦ Logitech G11 & G400 ¦ Windows 7 64-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by liukang168 View Post
    Once formed share your idea ...

Master Gunnery Sergeant OnlyRazor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raynor View Post
    In your dreams, there is a reason his last name is old man :P. Though the plot is cliche in that there is an underachieving officer who could be so much more (almost an ode to Behind Enemy Lines) I am sure the action scenes will make up for it. They should have got Michael Bay to direct.
    Your lack of taste...

Quote Originally Posted by W0lle View Post
    But obviously it's very hard for people these days to make use of BRAIN v1.0.

8.   This is the last Developer post in this thread.   #18

Did they actually have Liam Neeson reuse his "Fire Everything!" line from A-Team?
    Quote Originally Posted by vilas View Post
    Maybe it's that the OFP era community has retired and the CoD community era has begun? Demanding 12 year olds who must have something now
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Oh, almighty w0lle, grant this pilgrim safe passage through the craggy mountain passes of modding, and let him not be crushed by a boulder. If he should need a helping hand, let him find help on the forum from gnat or some other person.

Not quite, but they had him shout down the phone to the Sec Def. Telling him the only way he'd send up a plane into the barrier is if he was the co-pilot, made me smile! Plus when he's on the flight deck of the carrier, he yells to scramble aircraft . Only Neeson can pull that off.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast