Sign in to follow this  
walker

Battleship: The film

Hi all

New film comming out called Battleship.

http://www.battleshipmovie.com/

The standard Earth is invaded by aliens and protected by the US military, Hollywood plot, lots of CGI special effects. Liam Neeson stars so might be OK.

As usual the trailers look good.

Kind regards walker

Edited by walker

Great Hollywood Maxim: everyone wants to be first to do something second. Even dumb ideas, apparently :)

Saw a trailer for this a while back and felt sorry for Liam Neeson, I like him as an actor but think he will struggle to make this film anything better than average.

Maybe it was just a poorly done trailer that didn't inspire enough "oh that seems cool", this second one is a little better but still...

"Who's next in charge"... "You are".... Thoughts... What an incompetent fucktard.

Liam Neeson is the best actor ever. All you gotta do is kidnap his daughter and he will rock your world. I though the trailer was rather shoddy but I'll still watch it to see my hero in action.

IOWA? Looks like they used all the money for guns rather than missiles.

But yeah... (seeing The Bank of China is collapsing)

Looks like Independence day 2012! maybe bush will do a cameo with his fighter pilot outfit

(seeing The Bank of China is collapsing)
Do I see some kind of wishfull US thinking here ;)

One of these again, eh?

I thought first it's yet another rip-off from asian movies like

Space Battleship Yamato but I guess it's not?

I'll choose the Yamato over this one...

:rolleyes:

@Raynor:

You must be thinking of Gary Oldman, who is the greatest actor?

;)

Great, now they're trying tabletop templates as movie plots? What's next, tag? Hide and seek? I-show-you-mine-you-show-me-yours? hahahaha :D

)rStrangelove;2071969']Great' date=' now they're trying tabletop templates as movie plots? What's next, tag? Hide and seek? I-show-you-mine-you-show-me-yours? hahahaha :D[/quote']

There were some pretty good film trailer parodies on CollegeHumor a while back about MineSweeper and Hungry Hungry Hippos. Pretty funny. :D

As for this one... looks like someone rolled Battle LA, Skyline and Independence Day into one big, mediocre film. Sprinkle some Liam Neeson in there for good measure and you have yourself a wonderful dime-a-dozen, run-of-the-mill action flick. It will probably be semi-enjoyable if you turn your brain off before viewing.

Edited by MadDogX

One of these again, eh?

I thought first it's yet another rip-off from asian movies like

Space Battleship Yamato but I guess it's not?

I'll choose the Yamato over this one...

:rolleyes:

@Raynor:

You must be thinking of Gary Oldman, who is the greatest actor?

;)

In your dreams, there is a reason his last name is old man :P. Though the plot is cliche in that there is an underachieving officer who could be so much more (almost an ode to Behind Enemy Lines) I am sure the action scenes will make up for it. They should have got Michael Bay to direct.

Soldier 1 - B,19

Soldier 2 - You sunk your own ship

Soldier 1 - How?

Directed by M. Night Shyamalan

:p

As for this one... looks like someone rolled Battle LA, Skyline and Independence Day into one big, mediocre film. Sprinkle some Liam Neeson in there for good measure and you have yourself a wonderful dime-a-dozen, run-of-the-mill action flick. It will probably be semi-enjoyable if you turn your brain off before viewing.
Exactly what I thought, same old shit but on water. I would rather watch waterworld while being hit with a bat, seriously.

Battleshit

*Contains spoilers* (for those that may care)

I've seen the film and I like it, but it is quite flawed. Namely the script, characters and the plot structure is a little all over the place. The action is quite good and the effects are very well made but I found it to be quite sparse. There's clever references to the boardgame but they don't make the most of the concept. Instead of this being a Battle of Midway type fleet on fleet action. We just get three destroyers going up against three warships. We lose two and so it's just up to one to finish them off before taking on the 'super ship'. It just feels a bit conservative as if they were afraid to go with the concept fully. The bit with the battleship will either be viewed as inspired or utterly senseless. I won't say more on that one. I think Liam Neeson and Alexander Skarsgård were sorely underused, Rihanna didn't get her clothes off but she got them wet. She was all right actually, not as horrible as I first thought she would be. The alien ships have a slight Transformers feel to them but they're interesting with their missile pegs (yes you heard that correctly). The infantry are like the spare characters of Crysis 1 and 2, but they work. Their motives for wanting to conquer us isn't made clear - was it born out of warmongering or desperation? Quite a few people think who shot first is ambiguous and actually think the US Navy started an interstellar war. I think they were spoiling for a fight and simply wanted to get a good look at our weapons before opening up. There is a fair bit of weapon fetishising so military buffs will be pleased if a little dulled by what's going on in the film. Scriptwise it's a non-floater but the action, the end sequence and the music just about prevent this needing a lifeboat.

3/5

I have to say I find it amusing whenever someone criticises the concept of a story. Pretty much all stories of fantasy are rooted in the ridiculous. Is it honestly less ludicrous to have a story where a guy devotes his whole life to dressing up as a bat, beating up criminals with an obliging butler? Or a galaxy far far away where a guy wears a Toys 'R' Us costume with a rebreather and swings a glowy sword? It's how you ground the story in some sort of reality, such as conveying enough drama and making the characters and their surroundings compelling enough that's important. Not whether the story comes from a boardgame or the comics

In your dreams, there is a reason his last name is old man :P. Though the plot is cliche in that there is an underachieving officer who could be so much more (almost an ode to Behind Enemy Lines) I am sure the action scenes will make up for it. They should have got Michael Bay to direct.

Your lack of taste...

84zY33QZO5o

:D

2/5 ... for the action shots which were too short and often not ideal view angle, for being sci-fi

Not quite, but they had him shout down the phone to the Sec Def. Telling him the only way he'd send up a plane into the barrier is if he was the co-pilot, made me smile! Plus when he's on the flight deck of the carrier, he yells to scramble aircraft :D. Only Neeson can pull that off.

The film being what it is, it really hits the mark.