Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Road Painter 2

Road Painter 2

Current Version: 0.3 (BETA) May 25, 2012

DOWNLOAD v0.3
    -Download Mirrors/news posts welcome!

This should be considered "beta" software - backup your work frequently before and during use!

Caution: the tool uses your clipboard to transfer data. It's possible to get large amounts of data on your clipboard (80+ MB in some cases)... I've noticed this causes some programs (like mIRC) to lag strangely. You may want to copy something else small onto the clipboard after you finish using the tool, to "clear it off".

CHANGELOG:
    v0.3 - added terrain smoother, file in/out operations (saving session, exporting road paths to file), several misc. UI improvements and bug fixes
    v0.2 - added Operation Arrowhead road definitions, fixed panning issue with windowed or 3D res other than 100%
    v0.1 - initial release

DEMO VIDEO OF INSTALLATION AND USAGE:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4drDsJiHrLg&hd=1

INSTALLATION:
    1) Move the included folder, "_Road_Painter2.TerrainName", into your "...\Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\Username\Missions" folder
    2) Rename the suffix ".TerrainName" to your own terrain
    3) Move the included folder, "@HOMJ", into your "...\ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead" folder
    4) Launch ArmA loading 1.60 Beta, plus @HOMJ and your terrain as addons. The supplied .cmd file is optional to help with this (all you should have to do is edit it to include your @folder)

Questions, comments, bugs, suggestions, maybe even offers for help are welcome! Currently on the future to-do list, in order of priority, are:
    1) See if I can add train tracks to the system

Cheers.
    ------------
    Old Versions for archive/backup
    v0.2 alpha
    v0.1 alpha
    Last edited by Homer Johnston; May 29 2012 at 06:10.
    Shack Tactical community member | www.dslyecxi.com

Many thanks Homer, will have a play and let you know and whohoo beat Bushy to the post :P
    Si est lingua Latina scriptos esti testiculis

I would like to forward your release to the community by writting some news about it and update our pages (no mirroring, only info) but I got a little confused just now.

Is this supposed to be an update of your previous release ( http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10346 ) or is this a completely new tool and the linked one should stay as a different tool?
    I ask cause they have the same name except this is an early alpha and the one released was already a beta.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I rather not delete our page while it should have stayed
    On holiday until 23rd of september!!

Visit Armaholic.com | Visit Carriercommandaholic.com

Public FTP available, just check the Armaholic.com FAQ.

Author of the Thread
    My fault, I should have explained this in the root post...

I consider them completely separate tools, however I expect the original one will soon be considered obsolete. The two tools work on very different methods: Road Painter 1 produced a file which you could import in Visitor using "road networks". Road Painter 2 generates dumb objects, the same as houses and fences - quite a drastic difference. I eventually abandoned the original project because it gave me so many limitations (and because I didn't quite have enough experience to code something as complex)... this rewrite gives me more freedom.

There may still be people who wish to use the original tool while this one is developed a bit more (maybe for a week or two). If the original tool was likened to ArmA1, this tool in its current state would be like an "open beta" of the sequel, ArmA2. Locking the original thread was fine
    Last edited by Homer Johnston; Dec 4 2011 at 14:46.

Thanks for the clearification mate
    I wrote a news item about the release on the Armaholic homepage. I hope this gives you some extra feedback!

I will keep the old pages for now, in case you ever want them removed just let me know!

excellent, supports OA roads ?

I will try and then comment, thanks for your work

Good job. On mine the rmb to rotate the camera was wildly sensitive for some reason.
    I noticed your comment about the old A1 road part 'kos10 75.p3d' - that's funny. If you open the model the poly's in the 0.5 LoD have been inadvertently inverted so there facing down into the ground. The QA guys back then must have missed that one.
    Placing road-like 'artifical' objects is the only sane way to create roads in .pews imo, roadnets are a complete pain.
    You're going the right way about it and it's comming along great. Again, good job.

Cheers, Sy.
    Hibernating (indefinitely/permanently/intermittently)... may respond to , possibly.

Author of the Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Minimalaco View Post
    excellent, supports OA roads ?
    Yes, it should support any MLOD road models just fine - I actually forgot to add the OA road families into the definition list (RoadParts.sqf)... I'll do it next update.

Quote Originally Posted by Synide
    On mine the rmb to rotate the camera was wildly sensitive for some reason.
    I think I know how to solve that, but not why it happens: make sure you run the game in "fullscreen" and at 100% 3D Resolution, and it should behave normal. Forgot to mention that in the initial post as well... I'll find a solution for that next update. If that wasn't your issue, then let me know and I'll just add a mouse sensitivity slider to the side panel...

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Johnston View Post
    ...run the game in "fullscreen" and at 100% 3D Resolution, and it should behave normal.
    Yip, that fixed it. Maybe, down the track you can get it to behave a little nicer in Windowed mode. Defintely, not an issue that needs attention atm.

Cheers, Sy.

Ho very nice work , i like Roadpainter. Makes Streets so easy to my island.
    The new version is Great.
    Greez Hotze

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast