Sign in to follow this  
Andy1010uk

Multiplayer Server

From the server exe is it possible to change the server name from default i.e Andy-pc. As when i start the game and go to multiplayer i see my server called Andy pc and cant seem to change it.:confused:

You are going to need a server.cfg file. Here is an example of an Arma2OA config, which is essentially the same.

You will then need to launch the server with the following switch

"-config=i:\games\take on helicopters\server.cfg"

Obviously change the path to wherever you put the server.cfg file. In the server.cfg file there is an entry;

hostname = "my server name"

That is the name of your server.

Hope this gets you started.

Thanks for a quick response, where do i put the server cfg file ? and seems like i will have to change alot of entries in the arma cfg file to make it work for TOH. Kinda new to all this just trying to get a uk server up and running using the server .exe instead of doing it in game.

Thanks for a quick response, where do i put the server cfg file ? and seems like i will have to change alot of entries in the arma cfg file to make it work for TOH. Kinda new to all this just trying to get a uk server up and running using the server .exe instead of doing it in game.

It doesn't matter where you put it as long as you refer to the correct path in the launch path.

So, if you put it in;

c:\myConfigs\server.cfg

Make sure you launch it with

"-config=c:\myConfigs\server.cfg"

Perceived wisdom is that you don't keep it in your ToH directory as some hacks (for Arma2 anyway) can find it there.

EDIT --->

There's not much you have to change actually. Here's one that works in its basic form....

//
// server.cfg
//
// comments are written with "//" in front of them.

// GLOBAL SETTINGS
hostname = "YOUR SERVER NAME"; // The name of the server that shall be displayed in the public server list
password = "";      // Password for joining, eg connecting to the server
passwordAdmin = "";     // Password to become server admin. When you're in Arma MP and connected to the server, type '#login xyz'
//reportingIP = "armedass.master.gamespy.com";  // This is the default setting. If you change this, your server 
//reportingIP = arma2pc.master.gamespy.com";            // In case of ArmA2 might not turn up in the public list. Leave empty for private servers
//reportingIP = "arma2oapc.master.gamespy.com";         // For Operation Arrowhead
//reportingIP = "127.0.0.1"    // TEST
logFile = "server_console.log";   // Tells ArmA-server where the logfile should go and what it should be called

// WELCOME MESSAGE ("message of the day")
// It can be several lines, separated by comma
// Empty messages "" will not be displayed at all but are only for increasing the interval
motd[] = {
"", "", "", 
"Welcome to my server",
"",
"Just have fun!",
"",
"",
"Come and see us again soon",
""
};
motdInterval = 5;      // Time interval (in seconds) between each message

// JOINING RULES
checkfiles[] = {};      // Outdated.
maxPlayers = 30;      // Maximum amount of players. Civilians and watchers, beholder, bystanders and so on also count as player.
kickDuplicate = 0;     // Each ArmA version has its own ID. If kickDuplicate is set to 1, a player will be kicked when he joins a server where another player with the same ID is playing.
verifySignatures = 2;     // Verifies the players files by checking them with the .bisign signatures. Works properly from 1.08 on
equalModRequired = 0;     // Outdated. If set to 1, player has to use exactly the same -mod= startup parameter as the server.

// VOTING
voteMissionPlayers = 1;       // Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.
voteThreshold = 1.1;     // 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin or a new map, to become effective

// INGAME SETTINGS
disableVoN = 1;      // If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available
vonCodecQuality = 0;     // Quality from 1 to 10
persistent = 0;      // If 1, missions still run on even after the last player disconnected.

// SCRIPTING ISSUES
onUserConnected = "";     // self-explaining
onUserDisconnected = "";
doubleIdDetected = "";
regularCheck = "";
// some ArmA specific stuff - signature verification
//onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)"; // unsigned data detected
//onHackedData = "ban (_this select 0)"; // tampering of the signature detected
onDifferentData = ""; // data with a valid signature, but different version than the one present on server detected
BattlEye = 0; //Server to use BattlEye system
// MISSIONS CYCLE (see below)
class Missions {};

Edited by Jedra

if the server.cfg is in your root folder, just put this in your shortcut target line.

-config=server.cfg

I dont think hacks are a problem with this game, that caution is unnecessary.

Thanks for your help guys ill try that now

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

What is the shortcut target line ?

Thanks for your help guys ill try that now

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

What is the shortcut target line ?

Something like this;

"I:\Games\Take On Helicopters\takeonhserver.exe" "-config=i:\games\take on helicopters\server.cfg"

this is my server cfg file does that look ok .

//

// server.cfg = "-config=c:\myConfigs\server.cfg"

//

// GLOBAL SETTINGS

//hostname = "BREAKAWAY UK SERVER TEST"; // The name of the server that shall be displayed in the public server list

//password = ""; // Password for joining, eg connecting to the server

//passwordAdmin = ""; // Password to become server admin. When you're in Arma MP and connected to the server, type '#login xyz'

//reportingIP = "armedass.master.gamespy.com"; // This is the default setting. If you change this, your server

//reportingIP = arma2pc.master.gamespy.com"; // In case of ArmA2 might not turn up in the public list. Leave empty for private servers

//reportingIP = "arma2oapc.master.gamespy.com"; // For Operation Arrowhead

//reportingIP = "192.168.0.2" // TEST

logFile = "server_console.log"; // Tells ArmA-server where the logfile should go and what it should be called

// Empty messages "" will not be displayed at all but are only for increasing the interval

motd[] = {

"", "", "",

"Welcome to my server",

"",

"Just have fun!",

"",

"",

"Come and see us again soon",

""

};

motdInterval = 5; // Time interval (in seconds) between each message

// JOINING RULES

checkfiles[] = {}; // Outdated.

maxPlayers = 30; // Maximum amount of players. Civilians and watchers, beholder, bystanders and so on also count as player.

kickDuplicate = 0; // Each ArmA version has its own ID. If kickDuplicate is set to 1, a player will be kicked when he joins a server where another player with the same ID is playing.

verifySignatures = 2; // Verifies the players files by checking them with the .bisign signatures. Works properly from 1.08 on

equalModRequired = 0; // Outdated. If set to 1, player has to use exactly the same -mod= startup parameter as the server.

// VOTING

voteMissionPlayers = 1; // Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.

voteThreshold = 1.1; // 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin or a new map, to become effective

// INGAME SETTINGS

disableVoN = 0; // If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available

vonCodecQuality =5; // Quality from 1 to 10

persistent = 0; // If 1, missions still run on even after the last player disconnected.

// SCRIPTING ISSUES

onUserConnected = ""; // self-explaining

onUserDisconnected = "";

doubleIdDetected = "";

regularCheck = "";

onDifferentData = ""; // data with a valid signature, but different version than the one present on server detected

BattlEye = 0; //Server to use BattlEye system

class Missions {};

Edited by Andy1010uk

ok thanks just changed that and removed password from cfg file on here. Was not thinking lol.

Jedra has given you all the info you need.

... So I will be redundant and provide my own examples, as I often use the dedicated server exe :D

shortcut target line

"G:\Program files\Bohemia Interactive\Take On Helicopters\takeonhserver.exe" -config=server.cfg

server.cfg

//

// server.cfg

//

// GLOBAL SETTINGS

hostname = "TakeOnH -Autotrim Disabled"; // The name of the server that shall be displayed in the public server list

password = ""; // Password for joining, eg connecting to the server

passwordAdmin = ""; // Password to become server admin. When you're in Arma MP and connected to the server, type '#login xyz'

//reportingIP = "armedass.master.gamespy.com"; // This is the default setting. If you change this, your server

//reportingIP = arma2pc.master.gamespy.com"; // In case of ArmA2 might not turn up in the public list. Leave empty for private servers

//reportingIP = "arma2oapc.master.gamespy.com"; // For Operation Arrowhead

logFile = "server_console.log"; // Tells ArmA-server where the logfile should go and what it should be called

motd[] = {

"", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "",

"", "", "", "", "", "",

"Welcome !",

"",

"**AUTOTRIM is DISABLED**",

"",

"server uses modified Trainee difficulty",

"",

"voting is Enabled, #vote admin (name or number)",

"",

"",

"",

};

motdInterval = 7; // Time interval (in seconds) between each message

// JOINING RULES

//checkfiles[] = {}; // Outdated.

maxPlayers = 10; // Maximum amount of players. Civilians and watchers, beholder, bystanders and so on also count as player.

//kickDuplicate = 1; // Each ArmA version has its own ID. If kickDuplicate is set to 1, a player will be kicked when he joins a server where another player with the same ID is playing.

//verifySignatures = 1; // Verifies the players files by checking them with the .bisign signatures. Works properly from 1.08 on

//equalModRequired = 0; // Outdated. If set to 1, player has to use exactly the same -mod= startup parameter as the server.

// VOTING

voteMissionPlayers = 1; // Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.

voteThreshold = 0.33; // 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin or a new map, to become effective

// INGAME SETTINGS

disableVoN = 0; // If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available

vonCodecQuality =7; // Quality from 1 to 10

persistent = 1; // If 1, missions still run on even after the last player disconnected.

// SCRIPTING ISSUES

//onUserConnected = ""; // self-explaining

//onUserDisconnected = "";

//doubleIdDetected = "";

//regularCheck = "";

//onDifferentData = ""; // data with a valid signature, but different version than the one present on server detected

//BattlEye = 1; //Server to use BattlEye system

class Missions

{

class CO

{

template =CO10_Suburban_Hell_DDz.United_States_H;

cadetmode = 1;

};

};

giving up tonight still not working.....server still shows up as andy pc. lots to learn on this new game. Too used to flight sim i.e fsx thanks for your help guys...will get there in time i hope lol

That's because it is not picking up your config file (it will default to your computer name). Post the exact target line you are using.

Just had a thought. In your OS are showing file extensions? If not, you have called your config file config.cfg.txt - this is a fairly common mistake.

"D:\take on helies\Take On Helicopters\takeonhserver.exe" "-config=c:\myconfigs\server.cfg"

"D:\take on helies\Take On Helicopters\takeonhserver.exe" "-config=c:\myconfigs\server.cfg"

That looks OK - I edited my previous post. Are you showing file extensions in your operating system?

then here is link to my server.cfg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30579259/server.rar

Jedra I think you are making it more complicated than it has to, ie; separate folder containing the server.cfg, extra length of code for target line.

keep it simple, drop the server.cfg into your root folder and add -config=server.cfg to your target line, as I indicated.

I assume the -config is not being seen because its within quotes...

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

ermm i did the cfg file in notepad and changed it to a .cfg file dont know how to check file extentions im running windows 7 64 bit my server cfg file is in c drive in a folder named c:\myconfigs\server.cfg

ermm i did the cfg file in notepad and changed it to a .cfg file dont know how to check file extentions im running windows 7 64 bit

OK, do this...

1. From the START menu, choose Computer.

2. In the window that opens on the toolbar, choose Tools. If the toolbar is not there, press the ALT key.

3. From the tools menu choose Folder Options.

4. On the Window that opens, choose the 'View' tab.

5. Scroll down the Advanced settings part until you see 'Hide extensions for known filetypes'. It is probably ticked. Untick it and press OK.

Now, go to where you put your config file and you will probably see it is called server.cfg.txt. Rename it so it just says server.cfg

Bob's your granny - it should work now!

it said server.cfg.cfg

Ah, well I was close ;-) Should work if you rename it though.

You're not allowed to go out on the pish until you have this working ;-)

-Ziggy-;2065535']download the server.cfg I provided' date=' and follow my instructions...[/quote']

ok will do that now cheers