Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Limit parts of the forums (maybe other sites like BIKI) to game buyers only

How bad is piracy in Arma? I thought everyone here loved BIS and have multiple legit copies, do we get multiple accounts?

Quote Originally Posted by Katipo66 View Post
    How bad is piracy in Arma? I thought everyone here loved BIS and have multiple legit copies, do we get multiple accounts?
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...racy-statistic

Still, I think closing our forum to non-buyers (or more specifically those who can't be arsed to go with the verification procedures) is a bad idea.

How bad are the "non owners" here anyway?
    IMHO after a couple years here, can't say it ranks anywhere near an issue (or benefit) for me, and the community I really love.

I don't agree. The forum community isn't that big anyway+ the mods need something to do

Second Lieutenant GossamerSolid's Avatar
    Paradox Interactive's forums do this to a degree. You can only get technical support and mods if you register your game with their forums.

ArmA 3 - GWAR3
    ArmA 2 - PCDF | Gossamer's Warfare
    PC - i5 3570K | EVGA GTX 780 ACX | 16GB DDR3

Author of the Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by [APS]Gnat View Post
    How bad are the "non owners" here anyway?
    IMHO after a couple years here, can't say it ranks anywhere near an issue (or benefit) for me, and the community I really love.
    I'm not saying that the pirates are a real issue here but its about giving more value to the people who buy the game. Like Marek says in that interview that Celery linked to: "The motto is: Pirated games are not worth playing, original games do not degrade." I see this as a prime opportunity to give more worth to a legal copy using a system that is already half-implemented in the DRM namely the cd-key itself. Or maybe that is not quite the right way to put it. Maybe by saying to give more worth by adding a layer of usability to a system that already exists.

Quote Originally Posted by maionaze View Post
    I don't agree. The forum community isn't that big anyway+ the mods need something to do
    I don't see why the size of the community would have anything to do with this. I'm pretty sure the devs value the 10 paying customers more than the 1000 pirates that didn't give a cent to the devs for their hard work during the past years. Also I'm sure the moderators have more than enough places to poke their prying eyes into even by now.

Quote Originally Posted by GossamerSolid View Post
    Paradox Interactive's forums do this to a degree. You can only get technical support and mods if you register your game with their forums.
    And I do believe that is pretty much what I wrote in my post, was it not? I will repeat again for maybe the second or third time now; if not limit also reading the forums then just the capability for a user to post in the game specific sub-forum unless the user has registered the game to his account.

Quote Originally Posted by Celery View Post
    Still, I think closing our forum to non-buyers (or more specifically those who can't be arsed to go with the verification procedures) is a bad idea.
    People can be arsed to post over 4000 messages here but not write one message that requires only to clone a set of symbols to verify his game purchase? To me this comment sounds more about resisting the idea for the sake of resisting the idea. If the system is properly designed, tested and implemented in an "easy" way like for instance implement first the possibility to link a game to your account without any other additions of the system. Make a transitional period of 6 months for this and then start closing down the forums from those who have not registered.
    I support and respect the rights of addon makers to decide what is done with their addons and what is not. It really doesn't take a big effort to write a PM and ask.

The forums run the way it is for 10 years now. I really don't see any additional value for "us" emerging just because it gets restricted out of the sudden. This looks for me like pseudo elitism in the kind of "lousy poor OFP owners should not be allowed to see my elitist ArmA III postings.

The whole topic posted on a free for all forum is nonsense, reminds me of that sort of people that want the iron curtain and the Berlin wall back. Yeah thats the way cry out loud more more restictions the internet is stil too free to use...lock it down.´

This crying for even more "gated I-netcommunities" makes me sick, and it's not only here.
    The most sickest occurrance of this kind I found lately is a gothic community board where you have to send a photo of you with a piece of paper in your hands with your nick handwriten on it to have proof youre "Goth" enough for this elite community.

Welcome to the Duchy of Absurdistan, your home far from commoness, please bring your own chains and contrain yourself.
    Last edited by Beagle; Nov 30 2011 at 23:12.

Paradox's solution is extremely retarded.
    It annoys me to no end that I can't even ask a question in some thread (like a one about some mod) just because it's in a "buyer" forum (and especially if it's the one dedicated to one of their $20 patches)

Then again Paradox sells spritepacks and patches (some bugfixes, some rebalance - here's your "For The Motherland", 20 buxx plz) for money so you shouldn't be giving them as an example at all.

Oh and BTW I'm a paying customer of Bohemia Interactive. And I strongly disapprove of your suggestion, OP.
    Last edited by metalcraze; Dec 1 2011 at 10:04.
    ArmA2: "Doc, I'm wounded, I can barely aim and I'm bleeding badly, come on pull my body out of the harm's way and treat me before I die!"
    ArmA3: "You are wounded! Click to instantly regenerate health whenever you feel like it!"

Giving 'authenticity' an entirely new meaning, together with Medal of Honor.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfTournesol View Post
    With ArmA2 free, that will be a huge success.
    LOL ..... um, yes! Very good point

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast