Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Fire At Will" - Functional AI artillery without any knowledge about scripts etc.

"Fire At Will" - Functional AI artillery without any knowledge about scripts etc.

FAW 1.31 Released

(Requires A2 CO 1.62 or above)

FAW 1.31 (Armaholic)

FAW 1.31 (Dropbox)
    FAW 1.31 (ZippyShare)

For A2 only users:

FAW 1.2 hotfix (Armaholic)
    FAW 1.2 hotfix (Armed Assault Info)

CHANGELOG

- minor code fixes.

PREVIOUS VERSIONS HISTORY

Spoiler:

-----

INTRODUCTION

Purpose of „Fire At Will” addon is to give in simplest way possible fully functional AI artillery to battlefield for those, who can't or simply refuse to learn script language but still want functional AI artillery in his Arma 2 missions. It was created because in my opinion it is illogical to force a player to learn script language and to study BIS_ARTY Module commands and variables even if he wants just to set up some AI artillery in his missions, while such knowledge is not required for any other types of AI combat units, which are fully functional without any scripting.
    Addon supports all generic Arma 2 artillery units (howitzers: M119, D30; mortars: M252, 2B14; rocket systems: GRAD and MRLS) and its OA counterparts. Requires Arma 2 CO 1.62 or above.

Addon requires Community Base Addon.

-----

USAGE

To use the FAW primary, addon version in yours missions just set up some artillery batteries in editor and play with addon.
    Technically you also probably can play this way any other mission, but it's not recommended due to unpredictable changes on the battlefield, that are likely to ruin mission designer’s concept.
    To init FAW script version (in folder „Script Version”) place following eg in init field of any unit or activation field of trigger or in init.sqf etc.: nul = [ ] execVM „PrepArt.sqf”;
    Important notes:
    1. group of artillery must consist of the same kind of artillery units.
    2. bombardment trajectory is calculated from position of leader such artillery group, so do not place leader far from rest of group.

User can also call smoke or illumination fire missions directly via:

_CFF = [reference position, available artillery groups array, ammo type, amount, FO unit] call RYD_ArtyMission;

For example for smoke screen between _badguy and player:

_CFF = [position _badguy, [Battery1,Battery2], "SMOKE", 6, player] call RYD_ArtyMission;

_CFF is an array, that contains boolean flag indicating, if mission can be conducted, chosen battery (BIS_Arty module synchronized with chosen artillery group) and leader of this artillery group.

-----

HOW IT WORKS

Spoiler:

-----

CONFIGURATION

Spoiler:

-----

DEBUG MARKERS

Spoiler:

-----

ARTILLERY WEAPON SPECIFICATIONS

Spoiler:

-----

Addon was created "by player for players", source scripts you can freely modify, copy, "cannibalize", to use in your projects. It is released under APL-SA license. I'll be grateful for notification about each such usage.

I will be grateful for any bugtracking, testing, opinions and ideas.

Enjoy being under fire & have a nice boom.

Rydygier
    Last edited by Rydygier; Feb 23 2014 at 10:26. Reason: 1.31

Hi there great little addon! I have noticed in a couple of quick tests that the FO's seem to target all the batteries onto the same target. Any way of making it so different targets are assigned to different batteries? Will go back and play with some more and try out different rounds.

Author of the Thread
    Yep, it's because every battery choose their targets indepedently. I will think about way to customize this behaviour.

Thanks.

Thanks for informing us about the release

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

What a great idea and implementation! Good work mate!

This really is good fun to use,but a few of the fire missions are well off target, normally by a hundred or so meters but i've seen at least one over 1.2km off target Is that the AI taking moving targets into account? If so, any way so that a spotter round is fired first at moving targets and then the rest of the battery can adjust accordingly? I am using some mods but even with them all disabled i still get the same problem. Haven't tried it yet but is it possible to make it so that other artillery piece that are spotted become the highest value target? All we'd need after that is a script to make mortars pack up and move and tow-able arty pieces!
    Thanks again for such a fun simple to use addon.

Author of the Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by snoops_213 View Post
    at least one over 1.2km off target Is that the AI taking moving targets into account?
    Technically absolutely biggest possible (but extremely improbable) distance between target and impact (with default addon variables, for GRAD rocket artillery, moving vector for target at speed 29 km/h + maximal drift + maximal possible dispersion (battery leader nearly dead and just complete ignorant, gun nearly destroyed, stormy weather and maximum distance (10 km))) may reach... 483 m (vector) + 2774 m (! dispersion) + 1194 m (salvo drift) = about 4 km. Hmm. I am able to imagine that half-dead, totally incompetent idiot commanding battery will send a salvo so far from the target, it is certainly in the next version will limit possible spread a bit. Have you used markers? If so, whether it was the distance between the target and explosions, or between the target and the black dot? What was the distance of the shot, what type of artillery, the weather, what skills and health of the commander?

If so, any way so that a spotter round is fired first at moving targets and then the rest of the battery can adjust accordingly?
    It's probably possible, but can be quite complex. Currently aiming adjustment takes into account in such a way that re-firing the same target by the battery will be charged reduced by half drift. I'll think about it, but here I promise nothing.

Haven't tried it yet but is it possible to make it so that other artillery piece that are spotted become the highest value target?
    Yes, I suppose. I wanted to do this and do not know why I did not... It's good idea, so... in the next version, I think. Still highest value does not guarantee becoming a target, only probability of that will grow up... Thanks for your testing!
    Last edited by Rydygier; Nov 24 2011 at 17:46.

New on front page at Armed Assault.info

Link to mirror :

Fire At Will : http://www.armedassault.info/index.p...addons&id=1851
    Last edited by Old Bear; Nov 26 2011 at 20:09.

Hi @Rydygier thank you for this addon, its really awesome. Hovewer I have one problem with it, when I am trying to shoot my artylery, there is a message saying "cannot execute, ajust coordinates". Could you tell my....what does it mean and what Am I doing wrong? I dont understand.

Author of the Thread
    This message isn't from my script. I guess, it's from Artillery Module. It seems that one of batteries trying to shoot at target that is too distant or too close. This is unexpected because script does not allow to chose batteries such targets. Unless that using my addon simultaneously you try manually direct artillery in some way? It all should work automatically... Hard to tell, need more info. It happens all the time, or only sometimes? You play Arma 2 or for example OA? Addon was tested only on Arma 2 1.10 and I heard, that artillery works a little differently in OA. Message appears for mortars, howitzers, rockets, or for all? What is at that time distance between battery and the target? What ammunition is used? You're using default settings or you changed it with "RydART_" variables? Whether, despite this message battery shooting at target? Do you maybe use any other addons or mods? Its your own mission , maked in editor, or maybe you trying to play with this addon mission previously prepared by someone else?
    Last edited by Rydygier; Nov 25 2011 at 18:55.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast