Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Dedicated Server RPG

The CLR we know of is based on Issetea's version of Chernarus Life (or Sahrani Life), CLR was created long before Teetime came in charge of CL development. I believe what Teetime is worrying about is that his current version of CL, which he invested a lot of time in, may see the same fate - renamed and changed in a disrespectfull to initial creators way.
    Last edited by mir00; Jan 6 2012 at 04:31.

1st, I don't play RPG's...but I ponder back on MFCTI, look where it is today.
    If Mr Mike Melvin can share, I would think any one would. Look where it got him..aka ARMA Credits!
    Cya in the CrossHairs Kill Zone!

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by SWAT_BigBear View Post
    1st, I don't play RPG's...but I ponder back on MFCTI, look where it is today.
    If Mr Mike Melvin can share, I would think any one would. Look where it got him..aka ARMA Credits!
    Please dont mixe up two different kinds of shoes. I dont know how much you know about scripting, but after your post i became interrested and took a look into the MFCTI mission. I havnt played it but out of the code i can tell you that you tried to compare not only to different kinds of missions you addional tried to compare two total different kinds of code quality. I have no idea if a "goto" was the only way to execute somethig in OFP, but normaly this command is a no go, because it mads the code easy accesable for mistakes and hard to understand and to check for others. Just to mention it i am not saying that the mission is/was bad i am only talking about the quality of the code!

Even if i only compare the size of the sqs/sqf files can tell you that our current mission has 3-4 times the size of the MFCTI. The Mission i am talking about has more then 30.000 - 40.000 lines of code and more then 6000 variables (private Variables not included!).

So on the whole the MFCTI isnt really an argument for me to change my mind.
    Last edited by TeeTime; Jan 6 2012 at 22:51.
    Rähtshriebfäler sind kostenlos

Quote Originally Posted by TeeTime View Post
    Just to mention it i am not saying that the mission is/was bad i am only talking about the quality of the code!
    That's funny, because I wouldn't call the current life mission scripts the highest quality code either. Look at the file structure for one - there are 200+ scripts in one folder.

Your response will probably be to "write your own life mission from scratch," and that is my plan. And when it is finished, it will be completely open and made available to everyone to run on their own server without code obfuscation or server-hosted scripts.

Even if i only compare the size of the sqs/sqf files can tell you that our current mission has 3-4 times the size of the MFCTI. The Mission i am talking about has more then 30.000 - 40.000 lines of code and more then 6000 variables (private Variables not included!).
    Look at other popular missions like Warfare BE, Domination, MSO, etc. Those missions are probably just as complex, if not more so.

The "chain of developers" of the life missions is so complex simply because of the efforts of you, and some others like you, to obfuscate the code and hide certain functions through the use of server-side loadFile. If the life missions were made available in the same fashion as the missions I mentioned, there wouldn't be a question of who actually developed them. (Does anyone here wonder who created Warfare BE, Domination, MSO, Insurgency, Patrol Ops, or pretty much any other popular mission or mod? No.)

I was not in any way comparing apples vs oranges.
    It doesn't matter (to me) if it's a 1kb or 100gb file of "scripting".

My point was that he created the concept of CTI for this game and earned the credit that has been given to him from BI.

If you wish to keep yours private, that is your choice.

@eddieck: Jeah 200 sqf files in one folder. All named "v..." same for the variables. Do you really think thats the way the code looks like when we are working on it?

Quote Originally Posted by SWAT_BigBear View Post
    If you wish to keep yours private, that is your choice.
    Thanks thats the point i am talking here about 90% of the time and as long as i have the feeling that people will not respect my opinion. I dont think that i will change my mind.

@eddieck: Jeah 200 sqf files in one folder. All named "v..." same for the variables. Do you really think thats the way the code looks like when we are working on it?
    The version of CLR I'm looking at has file names describing the function of the script - bankrob.sqf, civmenu.sqf, createfacitem.sqf, shops.sqf, etc. This version presumably pre-dates your latest obfuscation measure, which I actually wasn't aware of.

Yes thats the CLR code. Not encrypted and on the base of a 3 year old code. I am only fixing some small problems in the code from time to time, but the code on the whole is just horrible.

The encrypting is only used for the CLU mission.

Yes thats the CLR code. Not encrypted and on the base of a 3 year old code. I am only fixing some small problems in the code from time to time, but the code on the whole is just horrible.
    I'm glad we can agree on something. I mean, it generally does what it's supposed to, but it's a nightmare to actually work on.

WFBE is extremely well organized and written, and IMO at least one of the standards a mission should live up to as far as code quality. (No disrespect intended to developers of other missions, most of which I've not looked at.)

The encrypting is only used for the CLU mission.
    That would be considered obfuscation, not encryption.

CLR is the base for CLU, right? So, unless you've made major changes to the mission, I assume CLU in its non-obfuscated format is also a bunch of scripts sloppily placed in a single folder that is still a nightmare to work on.

Its far away from a nightmare the architecture is based on the idea of fast and easy transformation and the possibility to work on the code with multiple people at the same time.

The Source code contains arround 500 sqf files placed in 200 well sorted and organized folders. Including a well made annotation for nearly every function. On the whole it has everything the CLR code hasnt and what makes the CLR code to the nightmare it is.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast