Sign in to follow this  
IvanDrago

Dedicated Server RPG

@eddieck: Jeah 200 sqf files in one folder. All named "v..." same for the variables. Do you really think thats the way the code looks like when we are working on it? :D

If you wish to keep yours private, that is your choice.

Thanks thats the point i am talking here about 90% of the time and as long as i have the feeling that people will not respect my opinion. I dont think that i will change my mind.

@eddieck: Jeah 200 sqf files in one folder. All named "v..." same for the variables. Do you really think thats the way the code looks like when we are working on it? :D

The version of CLR I'm looking at has file names describing the function of the script - bankrob.sqf, civmenu.sqf, createfacitem.sqf, shops.sqf, etc. This version presumably pre-dates your latest obfuscation measure, which I actually wasn't aware of.

Yes thats the CLR code. Not encrypted and on the base of a 3 year old code. I am only fixing some small problems in the code from time to time, but the code on the whole is just horrible.

The encrypting is only used for the CLU mission.

Yes thats the CLR code. Not encrypted and on the base of a 3 year old code. I am only fixing some small problems in the code from time to time, but the code on the whole is just horrible.

I'm glad we can agree on something. I mean, it generally does what it's supposed to, but it's a nightmare to actually work on.

WFBE is extremely well organized and written, and IMO at least one of the standards a mission should live up to as far as code quality. (No disrespect intended to developers of other missions, most of which I've not looked at.)

The encrypting is only used for the CLU mission.

That would be considered obfuscation, not encryption.

CLR is the base for CLU, right? So, unless you've made major changes to the mission, I assume CLU in its non-obfuscated format is also a bunch of scripts sloppily placed in a single folder that is still a nightmare to work on.

Its far away from a nightmare the architecture is based on the idea of fast and easy transformation and the possibility to work on the code with multiple people at the same time.

The Source code contains arround 500 sqf files placed in 200 well sorted and organized folders. Including a well made annotation for nearly every function. On the whole it has everything the CLR code hasnt and what makes the CLR code to the nightmare it is.

I will take any script that works, use it if I like it, and give credit if I can for ethics sake. In the end, it makes little difference because making something work, regarding scripts, can only be done so many ways. It is foolish to try and reinvent the wheel. I am glad others took the time to write something for 2 reasons:

1. It saves me time.

2. With awe, I learn from their work.

Only the developers of the game can claim ownership and your written code in a script is nothing more than an idea transformed through a vehicle that bohemia interactive provided for EVERYONE... not just you...regardless of the value you place on your time spent scripting. YOU will never have COPYRIGHT to YOUR alignment of commands, codes, functions, or ANYTHING you "think" you devised. This is the hard truth that you fail to recognize, Mr. TeeTime. You only privatize scripts for financial enhancement... to make money.... and you do it on BI's genius.

I am developing a life mission with scripts of old and I am commenting most of it to give meaning to the code so OTHERS CAN LEARN FROM MY EFFORTS and how server admins can customize it to their liking or to represent, through branding, their own organization. I can only say to you that you have the wrong attitude about the things you claim to write. You contribute NOTHING but a server and a mission because you care NOTHING about others who just want to play the game and be creative on their own level. You attempt to monopolize player preference towards servers and actually, in my opinion, are a threat to BI's existence regarding the influence towards server hosting of BI games. I have the scripts you "claim" to have written. It means nothing because in the end... a good server and its administration requires competition... the little guy whom I recognize and assist when possible, and it takes a helluvah lot more to make a great mission than just lines of code, sir! It is unfortunate that many who have become experienced with scripting arma missions have fallen by the wayside with the same inferior attitude you seem to carry.

It is only in your own best interest to privatize a script... and will never be in the interest of the community. The code you use is Arma code, not TeeTime code, and uses parameters developed and defined by BI. Once again... it must be donation money as sneak mentioned that motivates such activity. Well, we ask donations on our servers but we pay for our own servers by our own means... like the passionate gamers we are so I am not restricted or hindered by donation requirements. Our financial contributions come from our members 1st... the players last. So I will share everything freely.

You say you are sick of what you have dealt with regarding credit for scripts but I will not reply to this as others here already responded with wisdom regarding "credit" for work. I am sick of individuals who carry a destructive mentality as you have regarding this topic. I have already spent 4 and a half months on a mission and not for a second am I concerned about others breaking open my PBO and taking credit. This is because others will simply say "Nice job Trade.. thanks for making something fun".

I strongly urge you to return to your original passion regarding mission development and focus your efforts on making something fun. Enjoy that others enjoy your contributions. Then, realize it was never about "control" or "money"... just laughs, friends, and great ideas brought to creation.

In the end, you do not control what you think you do because you operate in the back of BI's coyota 4x4. Since I understand this and accept it... it is easy for me to give freely... because it can easily be taken away. Server sided scripts and the privatization of scripts is completely selfish and ill willed.

Now, can I have a banana?

trade mark , post too long no you may not have a bananna.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

@teetime - trying to encrypt anything with arma series simply is self defeating.

you seem to feel strongly about it so either:

stop making the missions or stop trying to encrypt them.

simple.

@ trade: Here is your banana. And now a small suggestion to make the life easier for you. Spend some time and read soemthing about copyright. Special about the international agreements about copyright. Of course it will take sometime but at the end you will realize that if you like it or not all scripts i and all other german srripter wrote are our property. For our whole lifetime and for the then following 70 years. This count aswell for all scripts we realeases in missions, of course in this case BIS can come with their ULA, but at the end a ULA never stays above a law in gemany so even a lawsuit against that wouldnt be really promosing.

The serversided scripts are somethign different, because they dont get published in anyway, but even in this case the scripts are our property and protected for 50 years after the date when we write them/ start using them. Additional they are outside of everything BIS can influence or claim rights over it!

You better start thinking about all this things, because if BIS really adds Java in Arma3 then the copyright topic will become more actuelle as ever before. And when you start using Java code with your funny Intention "I dont care who owns that code" then it can happen that you got a letter from lawer instead of such a post in a forum!

@ mobeus:I can do with my work what ever i want. And if i like the idea to print my scripts on toilet paper then iam free to do this. Write your own mission then this decision is up to you, but dont try to dictate me what i can/should do with my work.

Dont get me wrong i know that Arma lifes from the possibility to write and create nearly everything you want ACE and RPG missions are a good example for this and even i took looks into scripts from others to understand how they work and to improve my skills, but i dont copy and paste the code i see there!

And thats the difference. I already wrote that i would remove all protecting functions in the case that i would know that peopel wouldnt just copy and paste the scripts/the whole mission.

As long as people are unwilling to understand that the case that you can get everything in the internet for free doesnt mean that it isnt owned by someone who has the right to decide what should happen to it, things like encrypting , origin or steam are the only way for owners to make the try to force people to accept and respect their rights.

Edited by TeeTime

Yea, send me a letter from a lawyer because that is garbage, man. You cannot claim code in an A2 mission as intellectual property. The code is written in A2 language which is shared. Give me a break. I hear that threat ALL the time!

Like I said, I have a script/s that you claim supposed ownership... sue me. The feedback you give me is getting more and more ignorant as I read your reply. Besides, I do not live in Germany nor are my servers in Germany so it really doesn't matter. Go privatize your scripts... they will still find their way out and will be used... as long as they work properly.

Regardless, speaking with you is a waste of time and energy. Good day, sir.

Yea, send me a letter from a lawyer because that is garbage, man. You cannot claim code in an A2 mission as intellectual property. The code is written in A2 language which is shared. Give me a break. I hear that threat ALL the time!

Thats the biggest Bullshit i have ever heard. Have you ever thought about the point that the C code and the Java code are free aswell and surprise you can claim all programs you write in this languages.

The Point could be a bit more difficult if BIS would release all the Arma2 Code under a GNU GPL. In this case the decission would be up to the point to decide if the mission really uses the arma code as necessary part or if its just a program that has the ability wotk together with a Program licensend under a GNU PL.

Tbh i think that this is just to high for you. The world isnt simple and maybe you need a few more years to learn that. I would bet on the point that you spended exactly 0 seconds to read somethign about copyright before you wrote your reply.

Thats my last answer i see no reason to waste my time with explaining a kiddy like you the world.

Meanwhile your lads discussing about a RP scripting, how about get smarter and use MYSQL? Which I used in my times when I scripted a GTA SA RP Server..

Meanwhile your lads discussing about a RP scripting, how about get smarter and use MYSQL? Which I used in my times when I scripted a GTA SA RP Server..

This is certainly something to be looked into.

Also, read this.

This is certainly something to be looked into.

Also, read this.

That is a security issue - SURE but that is something hard to do as you need to know the correct QUERY to do the action (Definer ^^) which u see in the .sql file.

But once again as I learned from my teacher "Nothing is ever secure, not even FB"

I wonder if a completely new RPG mission will be usefull these days? The unencrypted and unrestricted to editing mission, which would, in fact, encourage people to edit it and add own scripts?

I wonder if a completely new RPG mission will be usefull these days? The unencrypted and unrestricted to editing mission, which would, in fact, encourage people to edit it and add own scripts?

Yes, and I hope it blows away other crypted ones maintained by people who doesn't see the fun factor in first place. Maybe it's the money, as already said :cool:

If you want to complain about earning money with Arma Missions. Then take a look at this: https://www.cityliferpg.com/shop/

We are only interestet in getting enough donations to pay our server bills. What you can see above looks commercial for me (5 $ for a password reset!).

Tbh i even have no idea if its allowed to run a shop like this or not.

If you want to complain about earning money with Arma Missions. Then take a look at this: https://www.cityliferpg.com/shop/

We are only interestet in getting enough donations to pay our server bills. What you can see above looks commercial for me (5 $ for a password reset!).

We have full permission from BIS to do so as we disclose all our accounts with them don't drag City Life into your shit

I've got something to make this thread better - we just released completely new RPG mission, written by ourselves and free to everyone, if you were looking for that. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=130114

It is in late stages of development, you can already take our work and make your own mission with it.

Addons/DLC's do not compare to missions!

This thread will just get worse, I vote a close.

So just move all mission scripts into a addon.pbo (one for the server and one for the client) and everything is fine or what?

Sorry thats ****!

@Armatac

Thats a discussion about not published RPG Scripts. City Life is a RP Mission too and the scripts arent Public aswell. Even some of your Addons are protect with Mission/Serverscripts. The main differenc is that you have placed most scripts in Addon Pbos! And the people here dislikes the idea to earn money with Arma Missions and if you have permission from BIS or not you have a running shop for Addon Cars and Mission Items (Money etc.). So you are part of this discussion too. Same for TCG and all other RP Communities who are using functions to protect their work.

Thanks for your concern about City Life TeaTime but it is not needed or required.

And the people here dislikes the idea to earn money with Arma Missions

You mean you are trying to earn money? Got caught and trying to bring people down with you?

You can play City Life all day every day 24/7 without paying a penny. If you donate to our server cost we thank you by giving you a better car to drive in? There is no profit there, each and every penny is put into software and hosting costs, even money from our own pockets, it's not cheap running a Gigabyte connection server i7 with SSD drives. So if you like our server and are getting fun, then why not donate? Myself and ArMaTeC do every month as do our community members.

If you wanted that car without donating, then an equivalent is available in game already but you need driving skill to get one, or you have to build it at the market.

Regards

Edited by i3luevein

There was some misinformation about City Life, where people felt they were obliged to buy some sort of points for advantage. I suppose it's for people who are more impatient, but what it really is, was as bluevein stated, an incentive so they can afford to operate month to month.

It's not necessary, and the advantages are largely affecting rich players, who have sunk their hours into the gameplay, and that's really why people claim it's unfair. City Life posts their donations for the month, so people can see how much they need, and it's not like people constantly donate.

I don't feel it's out of order to have a need to do it, while most groups would refuse such a notion, investments have been made to ensure solid gameplay, and that is not usually the case for other groups, who buy into budget systems so the founders or hardcore people can just eat the cost, to assure its availability, obviously with occasional hiccups the counter due to the lack of initial investment.

Most people are not in a situation to offer high availability due to lack of funds, and despite the fact BIS provides us a framework to develop for, it likes to in Scorpio fashion dictate something that is unenforcable. BIS ignores the fact that a good server is hard to come by, and has largely ignored RPGs by its lack of action to provide proper functions that would aid the development for such, if all the strange database-addon projects are an indication of a need, BIS refuses to fulfill.

Even if games are scripted, does not make the games any less valuable, or cost-intensive as a box-standard one, and thinking that they run on pixie dust should only be left to those who believe in unicorns, or that politicians are inherently of good intent.

Money-grabbing is not what this is about, it's about balance, and that is what most people are truly concerned about, bar a few people here with their own opinions, which are largely unfounded. RP-Mods and HGS in turn have not been financially competent for years now, and constantly has to plea to the plebs, using threats in an attempt to get the funds, that there will be a shutdown.

This is counter-productive, and scares away users. Planning ahead is necessary if you want to be successful. You can't depend on the goodness of people alone to survive with all the competition. Either you narrow your costs so you can out of your own heart foot the bill, make reasonable investments in technology and in time to ensure your mission is playable, has little downtime, or you will go the way of the dodo.

Edited by sparcdr