Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

BattleField 3

We've been looking closer to this one, since I like the topology of maps, I like the animations on characters, specially those regarding running and turning, and I am thinking how to bring all that look and feel to ArmA, which IMO is perfectly possible...

In fact, I've been asked for a HD sort of terrain as a lab to try these kind of stuff

Also, I paid attention to those soft craters made by explosions on grounds, not that kind of ground object over terrain, but some kind of soft hole... made on the fly...

Also I like those incidental voices related to actual situations, is very natural to hear phrases like "reloading" or, more customized, "die you son of a b****"... it doesn't sound robotic and thus is an awesome little improvement...

Apart of those, we should look at that damage or destruction system which I guess it's some sort of evolution coming from BC series... at this stage, I couldn't tell if BIS engine could achieve that level of cinematic COD like gameplay... but it's clear that this is a different approach, so what become interesting is to see where BIS guys can go so far, since we've been happily surprised in the past...

BTW, I love ArmAverse, but I knew BF first, and I love it too ;)

EDIT : I hate how it looks inside a chopper... those HUDs and tilting stuff looks like a nintendo o ps3 sort of game which I consider annoying most of the time... cheers!

Edited by Robster
spell checking

80 bucks is absurd. no way In hell am I going to spend that on a game, especially if it won't get an SDK.

I'm really enjoying BF3, I love Arma but its good to be having a bit of fun on BF without all the serious sim side for a bit of a change. You can see my stats on Trickster1982 on battlelog if your interested, I'm not brilliant but I've had some good sniper kills (I play good recon, not camping) and I've unlocked loads of gadgets for the support role, and I guess maybe down to Arma I dont play like a hyperactive 12 year old rushing around either so I do try to employ some tactics and support my squad :)

80? Where did you get that? O_o

Arma's engine probably can do that amount of destruction if BI wanted to, it takes a LOT of assets however and for the larger stuff I've seen how BF3 uses the dust masking. As for gameplay I highly doubt we'd see anything like COD for Arma that's just silly.

The HUD's aren't so bad, aviation HUD's are actually quite simple and for all issues BF3 did them well though aircraft HUD's are painful to look at since the climb ladder likes to move off screen and they could have done a better job with the Havoc's HUD so that it actually stays in the display screen.

WHAT!?!?! $80!?!? Thats crazy...

Look online and you can find it much cheaper I'm sure.

Here in the UK I got it for £30 ($47) from Zavvi and that's including the new map.

Yeah, BF3 is fun for faster paced action and it does look awesome even if a bit overdone Hollywood. It certainly won't keep me playing for long but should keep me busy until ARMA3 ;)

80 bucks is absurd. no way In hell am I going to spend that on a game' date=' especially if it won't get an SDK.[/quote']

i got it for 50 bucks. ozgameshop.com

they have free shipping as well. took a couple businessdays to arrive but i saved thirty bucks. :yay:

great game imo. Am only on level 4, but its fun trying to act tactically and screw the other team over. works best when there tow or more guys working together spontaneously.

Thing is I live outside the US currently, and it tells me it is 50 GBP. I guess ill order it from somewhere else eventually but I really would like to use origin.

Friend invited me over to play it and...eugh, I want to meet the people that decided vehicles should need unlocked features, removed medic and support request functions from commos rose and limited squads to four people.

There is just one thing I keep wondering..why...why do people say this is a beautiful game? The asthetic is hideous, my first guess is "well their being artistic in portraying the atomsosphere of a war" only it's far overdone. It feels as though my character is wearing a used coffee filter over his face all the time!

Worse yet I keep thinking that they were mimicing Dragon Rising's art style, seriously compare the two.

BF2 had a beautiful asthetic with the rich color and none of that 'real if brown' bs as did BC1, hell even BC2 wasn't as bad, this just looks like a B movie attempt to make the game feel more gritty with the high contrast low saturation stuff. Maybe my expectations were just too high, Battlefield 3 not Bad Company 3 or Call of Battlefield.

Edited by NodUnit

The colors!..The colors! What happened to the colors? Why is it so dull?!

"Aww mahn did you see those rad explosions? Explosions are awwsum mahn! I'm so psyched after seeing them, it just makes my blood pump and feel alive mahn! I'm totally going to buy it because it had so many explosions in the video mahn! Rad."

Don't forget about dat EPIC debris falling down!

:D

still, looks very enjoyable :)

Edited by PurePassion

The colors!..The colors! What happened to the colors? Why is it so dull?!

"Aww mahn did you see those rad explosions? Explosions are awwsum mahn! I'm so psyched after seeing them, it just makes my blood pump and feel alive mahn! I'm totally going to buy it because it had so many explosions in the video mahn! Rad."

stop trolling?

i get it, its not everyones "cup of tea"... but seriously, dont you have something better to do?

oh wait, no ,sorry, its the BI forums.

stop trolling?

i get it, its not everyones "cup of tea"... but seriously, dont you have something better to do?

oh wait, no ,sorry, its the BI forums.

There are plenty of threads about the art style on the Battlefield UK forums, even stating that a lot of users have strained eyes.

Super high contrast, lacking colours, blue tint, lensflare all over the place, bloom and flashlights, whose powers are equal to that of the sun.

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3/1455725-goggles-they-do-much.html

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3/1438468-what-battlefield-3-should-look-like-yes-thread-about-graphics.html

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3/1455691-so-i-went-doctor-morning.html

:rolleyes:

Great thread reads, especially part two of the "Should look like this" where there is a break down of the graphics used. The graphics themselves really are quite nice, and the textures are wonderful but as LowerContrast pointed out..are washed away by the bloom, flares and color filters, if the game looked like the second picture I would be praising it a great deal..as it stands we are left with the first. http://i.imgur.com/MQcVF.jpg

I think this sums it up very nicely. http://i.imgur.com/Cp4TM.jpg

If you are looking for constructive criticism then okay.. the environments are very nicely put together and richly populated with all sorts of objects that lend to the beauty of the landscape or urban environments, even the construction zones look superb and I loved running through the tunnels but thanks to all of the over dolling it more often than not blends into this flashy blob of miscoloration that detracts from the scene, fancier is not better.

As per the trolling..well hey next time they release a back to karkand video and the focus is that the older map has been faithfully recreated for the new game such as exploring familiar flag sites (the transformer station or mosque for example) rather than EXPLOSIONS IN YOUR FACE ALL THE TIME then I won't be such a prick about it :).

Edited by NodUnit

And then you get everyone saying "OMG why doesn't every game look this good"?! It's all about the crappy post-processing.

Thing is I live outside the US currently' date=' and it tells me it is 50 GBP. I guess ill order it from somewhere else eventually but I really would like to use origin.[/quote']

Damn where was that price? I paid £34.99 for it on release day :confused:

Don't forget about dat EPIC debris falling down!

At least it actually crushes you if you're under it now...

flashlights, whose powers are equal to that of the sun.

I have a flash light with the power of six million candles, is that close? :D

I'm always amazed at the petty complaining these games get here. Any game that is superficially similar in any way to ArmA gets this treatment it seems :)

It's an action war game FFS. Explosions, post-processing and action centric trailers are perfectly fine. Really :)

Actually, it is the somewhat obsessive postprocessing that is stopping me from enjoying the game as much as otherwise possible at the moment. I think it's this whole "war through the lens" design decision DICE made. Constant camera shaking from constant explosions, thanks much in part to AAV grenade launchers and shotguns with explosive rounds, as well as constant blur (not the suppression effect) despite motion blur being disabled, and constant monotone colors where, in this case, monotone means blue. It's a good art style for a cinematic single player campaign, I think, but it is quite poor for competitive multiplayer.

Though perhaps not the best example, I remember a MP map for CODBlOps that took place in a launch facility. The rocket would launch part way through that map every time and would shake the screen of everyone on the map. It was a neat cinematic idea in principle, but absolutely horrible in practice and pissed everyone off. Needless to say, such a feature has not resurfaced in a map for CODBlOps or MW3 since.

I'm glad to see they're toning down things like the flashlights. Hopefully they'll decide to tone down the "war through the lens". If not, I can live with it, but I don't know for how long. Probably until the game itself stops being fun. :)

I'm always amazed at the petty complaining these games get here. Any game that is superficially similar in any way to ArmA gets this treatment it seems :)

It's an action war game FFS. Explosions, post-processing and action centric trailers are perfectly fine. Really :)

Nobody said anything Arma so stop generalizing, the complaining has nothing to do with Arma, it's and more to do with it being like Bad Company 2 rather than Battlefield 2.

And some of these "petty" complaints aren't just on these forums, they are everywhere.

Edited by NodUnit

Does anyone know of a good way to "counter" all these wonderful people who spend entire matches camping with IR sighted and suppressed SAWs? There seem to be more and more of them every day, and on some maps it seems like two or three of them can lock down entire approach vectors. (I mostly play Rush.)

In some cases you can spot them and hope that your teams gang of mortards takes them out, but sometimes this isn't possible, for example in the tunnels on Operation Métro. I've seen these guys rack up 30+ kills with 2-3 deaths... it's ridiculous.

So how do you counter IR sights?

So how do you counter IR sights?

Supposedly they're being nerf'd in the upcoming patch, but it is certainly annoying.

I was on the receiving end of a rather nasty death streak courtesy of someone with 65+ service stars on his M249. There are other guns people... :j: