JdB

OFPr.info / ofp.gamepark.cz

To all the people that I recently mirrored addons for (like within the last three months): Please check if the links still work. When the server went down an older backup was restored. For example Shadow.'s vans were an older version and the new version was gone as well. I uploaded those a day before the server went down, but I don't know exactly how old this backup was so there might be other files that are missing or outdated ...

Are we still on about the torrent thing? I may become annoying but I just want to ensure the community doesn't lose all these files in case the FTPs at ofp.info go down for good.

• Like 1

I'd actually be interested in setting up an ftp for OFP, I'd create an index page that the community can access and basically search through the subjects

of their interest and download files accordingly.

Thing is being a compiler that I am I'd like to have separated each file based on a category they would fit in, so for example car addons would be under cars,

infantry weapons under weapons, tanks under tanks, planes under planes, total conversion mods under you guessed it, ect,.

JDB or Zulu1 is this possible, i'd like to support the community.

I have Unlimited Disk Space, and Data Transfer, I also use my FTP for my main website the MR for the Iron front community but It easy

for me to setup a new page for OFP.

I'd actually be interested in setting up an ftp for OFP, I'd create an index page that the community can access and basically search through the subjects

of their interest and download files accordingly.

Thing is being a compiler that I am I'd like to have separated each file based on a category they would fit in, so for example car addons would be under cars,

infantry weapons under weapons, tanks under tanks, planes under planes, total conversion mods under you guessed it, ect,.

JDB or Zulu1 is this possible, i'd like to support the community.

I have Unlimited Disk Space, and Data Transfer, I also use my FTP for my main website the MR for the Iron front community but It easy

for me to setup a new page for OFP.

About the torrent: yes. I still have to transfer one folder, but it is also the largest one at 31GB so once I get the opportunity it will still take a while. After that I need to run a CRC of the files to see if I wouldn't be sharing damaged files etc.

I wouldn't have any problems with you mirroring the files or splitting them into categories on your own server. However with the amount of addons on the server, many of the early examples without proper indicative names nor readmes it is going to take quite some effort to categorize them I think. There are a few things that can't be mirrored though as they are private folders of modteams or individual addonmakers.

Ok, dont worry about time, i have my ways, I'm a compiler, everything I do in this community is compile - (websites, mods, and forum threads).

As far as the files go, maybe on the OFP.gamepark.cz or the other site I can use as a reference in terms of what the files actually are, I mean my real question is how do you

have the files setup on your ftp, surely you have them in some sort of categories or pages and then have them linked?

For me to create a category is as simple as just creating a folder on the ftp, every file I put in that folder then has a title (based on the file name which is the file itself) and become the link itself.

I personally hate and detest pages for a download that take you to another page to download the file, I prefer the download to be in one place, 1 link, to me links with ads, memberships, timers and all the rest of the garbage completely deters a person from getting a file they originally intended on acquiring, Im sure you agree, just stating my opinion on how a download should be setup.

Aside this about a torrent how does it work, and how do you acquire/download it? I never used a torrent...well once years ago and ended up getting a virus and stopped using them back then 5+yrs ago that is.

Would it be easier to split the files into say 5gb sized rar files and then link them, imo would be faster then once massive file which would take me maybe a whole day to download.

Also when and if I do host such files I could have a dedicated thread here as well as a blog to post news about anything new, or even use it as a website,

idk atm we'll need to look at the files and see how things go.

Your thoughts.

A torrent is a peer-to-peer file sharing protocol, it doesn't need a centralized server and that's why I proposed this solution. The person creating the torrent will send out a small file which we'll open with a client application (transmission, utorrent, whichever you prefer...) and that's it, the downloads begin.

You may have tried torrenting some shady stuff back then, that might be why you got yourself a virus :) ! Honestly, nowadays, torrenting is pretty safe on that side, I do it everyday and never had an issue. Many torrents share illegal content but there is also legal content which people seem to forget about.

Anyway, my view on this is that torrent is better for larger/numerous files, which is the case here. Splitting the pack into multiple archives, then uploading them onto a server to have us download them again sounds too much of a hassle to me. That's my opinion. In the end, it doesn't matter what solution you guys chose, if you give the rest of us the possibility to download the entire pack of addons and mods at once, I'll be happy.

The more people have these files, the better.

Torrent may be ok to save the whole database, but what we need is a website server such as ofpr info or Gunter repositary website.

Splitting the pack into multiple archives, then uploading them onto a server to have us download them again sounds too much of a hassle to me.

No I meant that for me, my idea was to download the multiple torrents or what have you, rar whatever, and then reupload the files as either zips for small files,

and rar's for larger files, so thats what you download zips or rar's.

Basically their wont be any pics, or description for any of the files, I would try to categorize the files in such a way so that you would know what your getting, depends,

I'll decide what to do once i get a copy of the files.

But as suggested a zip, or rar to download would be ideal, like done on Armaholic. As for acquiring the files I suggested smaller archives, or torrents so that

it would be faster for me to download and get working on the sorting and upload, small is faster, one massive 5 will take me all day.

As for what you explained about Torrents in general Valence Mike, that is clear to me thank you for that explanation, you guys will have point me in the right

direction for what to use as Im only used to zips and rar's.

@ ProfTournesol, i agree, ideally I think it would be faster if its setup like my current website find a file and click on it,

its fast, no ads, its either zip or rar, no hassle, no bs, no timers, no passwords needed, no membership required, no ads, no popups other then the download save dialog,

1 link 1 download, thats how i do business, ;)

If it dont work out then so be it.

Wait... I must be stupid, I just found out I could connect myself to ftp.ofpr.info through my FTP client (filezilla) in read-only mode. That's awesome! Everybody can download the complete pack from the source rather than set up a torrent. That's basically what I was talking about when I said we should be able to download everything in one go.

Would it be allowed and would there be community support to have the OFP content hosted by Play withSIX/withSIX.com?

Edited by .kju [PvPscene]

;2914066']Would it be allowed and would there be community support to have the OFP content hosted by Play withSIX/withSIX.com?

I'm not familiar with it so I don't know how it works ... but everyone that wants to is free to (re-)distribute the files as long as the content of the files remains the same.

Wait... I must be stupid' date=' I just found out I could connect myself to ftp.ofpr.info through my FTP client (filezilla) in read-only mode. That's awesome! Everybody can download the complete pack from the source rather than set up a torrent. That's basically what I was talking about when I said we should be able to download everything in one go.[/quote']

I'm not familiar with the terms and limitations of the host that Jerry has so if that becomes a regular thing for people that might get the server suspended or shut down for good.

Regarding categories on our server you can see the layout of the server in the links that are in the newsposts.

ftp://ftp.ofpr.info/ofpd/unofaddons2/

ftp://ftp.ofpr.info/ofpd/unofaddons3/

ftp://ftp.ofpr.info/ofpd/mods/

Etc.

The only sort of system were the addon categories on the website, but that was stopped even before 2005 I believe as there wasn't enough staff to maintain it.

Edited by JdB

@.kju [PvPscene] Can OFP be updated, have mods ect,. added to it and play through PW6?

@Valence Mike

How did you do it? I use Filezilla myself but have no idea how you get into read only mode, plus dont you need the host name, username, pw, port to connect?

Regarding categories on our server you can see the layout of the server in the links that are in the newsposts

I see, basically groups, I dont see how it wouldn't be hard to maintain if you had categories setup with specific names for the type of addons you have then its a

matter of when you get an addon knowing what type it is, which you would know as from the submission you get from a community member would tell you,

and or any pics, idk but thats the way I'd do it.

But whats the plan can we do this, or shall we try Valence Mike's new discovery and see if I can do it that way?

Lastly is OFP.info still getting submissions, or are you just mainly storing the files and having them available for download?

@JbD: If we download at a limited speed, that might not be such an issue. Plus, let's be honest, there aren't that much people around anymore.

@Günter Severloh: All you have to do is write 'ftp.ofpr.info' in 'Host' and that's it. No username, no password and no port (or default, 21) and you're connected. Just, take in consideration JdB's warning, I would suggest to download with speed limits.

@ JdB

The files need to be extracted in the file repository/CDN to be installed correctly for the user when downloaded - is this still ok?

@ Günter Severloh

To add OFP support in the PWS system would be low effort itself.

As authors/people can now finally upload their own stuff to the system/site,

the main question is whether some community members would be willing to do that work for some/"all" mods.

The alternative could be a mass import, yet that would had to be developed first and may or may not be fine with ofpr.info (copyright/permissions).

I see thanks for the info Kju and Valence.

We should get permissions first before acquiring the files, as I dont like the idea of doing something behind someone's back so to speak, so need them to let us

know here or e-mail if its ok, I had already explained my plans if all is ok with the files.

If its not going to work and only JDB and Zulu1 are to host and run the ftp then thats fine, no worries I got alot on my plate as it is, i just want to let it be known

that im willing to help the old OFP community as thats where my love for the game and community started ;)

ah...OFP the Nostalgia.

• Like 1

;2914303']@ JdB

The files need to be extracted in the file repository/CDN to be installed correctly for the user when downloaded - is this still ok?

Thing is some (read: most) of addon makers back in the day had rule about mirroring archive in it's entirety only. So to be in law, we should read every single addon's licence (which again most of them lack).

That is true krzychuzokecia and is still true for some community made content now.

At the same time an archive is only to make it one file for convenience and to compress it.

If you deliver all the content of the archive (and in the same structure), most people agree is basically the same.

If you would go strictly by law, instead of the authors intention or common sense, a lot of things would had to be handled differently.

I have about 15GB left to go, after that I'll contact some of you about your ideas.

The way we've handled the archives is that the content of the compressed archive needs to remain complete, but that the archive (packaging) itself is not really relevant. For example we've uncompressed and then recompressed files that were in unusual zip formats, some that were broken down into parts etc to get single files in popular formats. Also I along with a lot of other newsposters used to stick to certain formats for filenames and changed them if necessary (adding version numbers, addonmaker tag etc).

So the archive doesn't really matter from a legal or moral point as it's the integrity of the files within them that matters. Even the most basic restrictive license allows for redistribution of the addons since that is a precondition that BIS has placed on the tools.

A user of the site has reported getting warnings about the site containing a virus. I haven't had this problem myself, but we've had similar problems with poorly coded ads in the past that triggered false positives in virus scanners. So if you're experiencing the same thing please report it. I can't change the ads, but at least we'll know ...

Any news on that front? Do we have mirrors of the archive now (precisely referring to JdB as he was, as far as I know, the only one downloading from OFPr's FTP) and what are the plans to share them?

Any news on that front? Do we have mirrors of the archive now (precisely referring to JdB as he was, as far as I know, the only one downloading from OFPr's FTP) and what are the plans to share them?

A squad had made a mirror of the FTP, but as far as I know this hasn't been made available to the public. As far as a torrent or similar goes I am having some thoughts with regards to new files that are added. Since I don't want to keep creating separate new torrents for every few files. I don't think a torrent can be changed afterwards though ...

Someone else offered to mirror the files for public use but withdrew that offer later on.

​As far as a torrent or similar goes I am having some thoughts with regards to new files that are added. Since I don't want to keep creating separate new torrents for every few files. I don't think a torrent can be changed afterwards though ...

​

​You are right but we could create a torrent of the archive at a certain date and mirror the newer files through another way. I know it splits the content but I think there aren't that many additions to OFP.info these days, are there? Also, I can help mirroring these since I have control of about 40GB FTP space online.

Gamefront will be closing down April 30th. If there are any OFP files there that aren't found anywhere else and need to be mirrored tell me now and not when it's too late ;)

I've been playing operation flashpoint since its release and its one of the very few games I go back to. Change is a good thing but less so when data/information disappears so I saved as much as I could.

I created a torrent about 125GB of operation flashpoint related files, was going to make it available via archive.org alas malware was detected which got the whole torrent deleted (webpages saved from archive.org also had malware detected)

files are organized and md5 hashed.

If possible could someone permanently host files? Thanks

All files/archives are complete and unmodified (removed some special characters from filenames due to rsync having problems)

It's amazing to see people are still interested in such an old game and still creating addons.

torrent file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1dCTGcMR190Wl81VV9JZXlPcnc/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-jt9HCPWw7R-FvIDhNel1tQ

some webpages were saved with apple safari browser hence extension .webarchive

Edited by leafh
update torrent link
  • Like 2

As you may have read armedassault.info will be closing down in the near future because it is no longer viable to continue paying for an ever decreasing number of visitors and therefore ad-revenues. This also affects the OFPr.info downloads since it is on the same server that will be shut down. The site itself will continue to run unlike armedassault.info, because it was never moved to the new (paid) host. The website address of "ofpr.info" will be discontinued and "ofp.gamepark.cz" will be the only way to access the site.

The entire content of the fileserver along with the pictures from the site will be made available in a torrent using the same file structure as the site. By looking at the links you can find the relevant files in the torrent.

If it turns out that people download, but do not seed the files for others I'll discontinue the torrent.

Many thanks go out to Cervo, Nano19, Dusand, Jerry Hopper and many others that have helped the site stay up for so long.

• Like 6