delta99

Orienteering Mission

Would anyone be interested in an Orienteering type mission. I am thinking of creating a framework for orienteering type missions based on International Orienteering Federation rules etc.

I can see this being SP missions where people can compare their times and/or MP missions for team competition or what have you.

If there is any interest reply to this thread.

Update Dec 3rd:

Hi all, the first test mission is available.

You can download it here - http://www.gamefront.com/files/21065210/OrienteeringTest1.Chernarus.zip

Just put that into your "Missions" folder in Arma2.

Notes:

1. This is purely a test of some of the concepts.
  2. ACE2 is a requirement for the Mapping Tools. I don't think the optional ACE mods are needed although I haven't tested.
  3. I was originally going to adhere strictly to IOF Orienteering rules but strayed away from that for now. I may move back in that direction in followup tests/missions.
  4. This is a race so you are racing against the clock to compare against others times.
  5. The mission needs to be played in VETERAN/EXPERT mode so that your location is NOT shown on the map. If played otherwise you are basically just cheating and I don't see what fun you'll get out of it.
  6. You should be familiar with the Map Tools. You'll need to know how to use the compass/ruler to plot directions and courses. You'll need to know how to measure distances. You should be using the line tools for intersections. Learn all that before attempting the mission.
  7. The quickest route from A to B is not always a straight line. Learn to read contours and potentially plot courses with that in mind.
  8. It is a good idea to write down the directions to the next control point.
  9. I have used the IOF flag to identify control points.
  10. The starting control point should be visible at your starting location. Walk up to it within 5 meters and you will get directions to the first control point.
  11. You mission timer starts once you leave the start control point. Although the game does pause at each control point until you hit continue. This gives you time to write down your times and directions to next control point.
  12. There are 3 control points in this mission.
  13. I have created a spreadsheet available here to records time. Just record your elapsed time to each control point (write those down as you reach each one). The total time in the spreadsheet is calculated and should match your total time in game that is reported at the last control point. The spreadsheet should be editable by anyone but let me know if any problems. Please don't mess with others times or I will have to restrict access.
  14. There is no real end to the mission. The last control point (3) will just say "The End".

Known Issues:

1. There is no in-game briefing or notes so read above.
  2. You can trigger the control point message multiple times which will show the latest time to that control point so you should avoid doing this. Make sure you write down the directions or stay within 5m of the flag while initially plotting to the next control point as the instructions will stay on screen but disappear once you move 5m away.

Let me know what you think.

Edited by Delta99
Added link to first test mission.

bloody gr8 idea - im sure a lot of clans could use it for trainining purposes - how to use compass a map, read terrain, triangulate, use terrain to your advantage. etc.

One potential problem I see is that it is too easy to stay on course in a virtual environment because once you line up your direction and hit the "forward" key, you basically stay on course unless you have to step around an obstacle. In real life it is much harder to maintain a direction.

Also, because you can double tap "K" key to keep the compass on screen at all times it is easy to stay on course that way as well in case you are going around obstacles a lot.

Anyone know if there is a way to disable keeping the compass on screen like that? If one had to continually call up the compass at least it would be a bit better.

Even with these issues I think it still might be worthwhile.

Yeah that is a problem, but I guess it could be solved by the terrain that you pick and the obsticles along the route, things that force the player off their path like lakes...or minefileds? :p

Yeah that is a problem, but I guess it could be solved by the terrain that you pick and the obsticles along the route, things that force the player off their path like lakes...or minefileds? :p

Not a bad idea on obstacles especially if programmed to be added to the map and not shown on the map. Otherwise if they are regular obstacles on the map and there are too many of them it actually might make the navigation easier. The more landmarks the better.

I haven't determined yet whether Chernarus has too many roads and landmarks. Seems like it might in that you don't even need to do much bearing calculations rather than have a general idea where to go and then just follow landmarks. But will see.

Minefields ... interesting!!! :)

With regards to roads they could also be obstacles in some cases, like selection and training courses where they are offlimits.

Not a bad idea on obstacles especially if programmed to be added to the map and not shown on the map. Otherwise if they are regular obstacles on the map and there are too many of them it actually might make the navigation easier. The more landmarks the better.

I haven't determined yet whether Chernarus has too many roads and landmarks. Seems like it might in that you don't even need to do much bearing calculations rather than have a general idea where to go and then just follow landmarks. But will see.

Minefields ... interesting!!! :)

You could always download/make a different map. Imagine a map purely for orienteering purposes with very few landmarks? It could be many times the size of chernarus as well.

Yes, I'll have to review other maps out there and see if there is anything more suitable.

Anyone have any in mind. I plan to check out Lingor first as it seems like it might be appropriate and popular.

Bushlurker's maps might be a good place to start, they are very focused on realistic terrain.

Bushlurker's maps might be a good place to start, they are very focused on realistic terrain.

Thanks Taffy, I will look into it.

You could take away the compass and make them navigate by the sun and stars

I'd like it to be as close to the IOF rules as possible so you need to use a compass and measure distances etc.

Judicious use of fog might come in handy. So even a terrain with lots of objects could be used. It would naturally reduce your ability to use distant object to navigate by, on the other hand seeing an expected object loom out of the fog would be rewarding :) or worrying if it does not :)

Yes I have been wanting create this myself but no good at it, get on it! Infact I thought this was a mission and was straight in here like a shot to download :)

Yes a non compass start version would be good.

I have to point out that if you use team AI, by simply asking "whats your status" they will give you direct map coords no matter what, I asked about this before and no one could say a way to stop it. So if you do, dont attach to any team AI. Not that it would be needed, im just saying for the sake of mentioning it ;)

Edited by mrcash2009

I don't think I'll be making one without a compass. That really is something entirely different than orienteering as pertaining to IOF rules. Not that it wouldn't be interesting on its own but not something I'm looking to do I don't think.

The only problem with the compass is what I've pointed out previously and that is being able to use it to stay on course to easily. That along with pointing in a direction and just hitting the forward button. Both of these things aren't easy in real-life.

So, perhaps to solve the compass problem one can do something so that the compass can only be used for so long for the entire mission/game. That way one would have to be very very careful how long they use it for.

Anyone know if it is possible to determine how long the compass is on-screen for? Perhaps tie some sort of handler in so that a timer is run every time the compass is pulled up and stop the timer when it is hidden. If the timer goes over the time limit then the compass is removed from inventory.

Another possibility is to have compasses in boxes at the control points and they can only be used there. The only problem with that is if one gets lost then they can't then correct themselves etc etc. so not sure this idea makes sense.

@mrcash2009, thanks for the pointer on the AI. There certainly won't be any AI in this though. It will also have to be played in Veteran mode as well otherwise the map shows where you are so that isn't useful.

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

Anyone know if it is possible to replace the default maps in game with one of their own. Since a map object is an item in your inventory can another one be created with less detail etc and then attached to inventory?

This alone might solve a lot of problems. I would be able to all or some roads, buildings and such.

I checked out Lingor and it definitely seems to have some potential for smaller type orienteering courses I think.

The Capoiera Island (spe?) is supposed to offer unparalleled realism when it comes to topography and fauna

I don't think a realistic island is really required. Just need an island that has suitable terrain.

Ok, compass problem solved. With the help of a forum member, I was able to disable the compass while a player is moving. This will likely help a lot.

Well, if there are some map designers here, possibly a map dedicated to a large forested area, maybe some of the forests in Northern Canada, lots of rocks and abrupt elevations, rough terrain, completely filled with forests, But you would have to add alot of bushes to make the ground much more disorganized to emulate a real forest, much of Chernarus forests are easy to navigate because the terrain is very spacious and open even with the dense trees.

I've never had any experience with map making before but it would be a very cool project to do for this year... hmm...

Why not look at the new Clafghan map, it's huge with plenty of rough terrain etc, Nice idea :)

I was originally going to put together the ideas and beta mission on Lingor as it seemed suitable enough from initial testing. However, I wanted to limit the use of Addons as much as possible since ACE will be required (explained in a minute).

So, I started creating a basic course on Chernarus and surprisingly it isn't too bad. Even though I knew exactly where I was supposed to go it proved to be interesting as heading directly to a control point isn't always the best route. So you need to plot a course which means figuring out when you reach your own waypoints to change direction.

I've gotten away from using the IOF rules for now as well and coming up with my own mostly for testing purposes and incorporating IOF charts/symbols will take more work.

As for ACE, it is required as one needs the mapping tools developed for it. Those of you that are going to be interested in beta testing or playing these missions will have to get ACE and get familiar with the mapping tools. This includes, using the compass/ruler in order to plot courses, distances and such.

I had to remove the ACE Stamina effects for now because it seems a Civilian unit becomes fatigued and falls to the ground way too fast. After traveling about 1km he was basically useless!!! :)

Does anyone know where the MAP EU Objects come from? I think it is ACE but I don't want to make a mistake and require another addon. I don't think I'm loading any other addons. On further examination I think it is likely coming from ACEX_USNavy which is an optional ACE component. Does anyone know for sure if this is the case.

Unless I am mistaken (you will have to search well) I think map tools was a standalone addon or script so maybe see if you can get that than rely on entire ace just for map tools, even see if you can get the maker to have it for running mission only.

I think that might be doubtful but no harm in checking ACE credits of Sickboy to see who author was, there is a link to map tools before it was placed into ACE though, then again might be a can of worms :)

If this is SP based (is it?) then I know map tools fits out on reverting from a save, I found it on ace that in SP save the whole compass becomes scalable with zoom so becomes MASSIVE and you cant use it correctly after reverting.

This all depends on if saving would be that important, but test it out yourself. Just throwing any possible niggles into the thread that may or may not be of concern in the end.

Either way Map tools is a must so I can see your reasons for it.

For ACE things ask sickboy or ask in ACE thread might get a quick reply.