Sign in to follow this  
burdy

Super low GPU usage on MP only???

BTW in multiplayer use addon to set your viewdistance when you want to cause MP reduces it to 1500..

Ummmm... no it doesn't. View distance in MP is dependent on the mission.

I have found a way to get a extra 20 or so % GPU Usage (and higher FPS, could now play missions like Warfare BE with more they playable frames). What I did was download the latest beta. Then in the exe's Target line, I put "-nosplash -cpucount=4 -exthreads=7 -maxmem=9999". Now go into your Nvidia Control Panel. Make sure your settings are set as the Following-

Anisotropic Filtering- Quality

AA Gamma- On

AA Mode- App controlled

AA Trans.- Multisample

CUDA- All

Max Pre Render Frames- 8

Multi Display/Mixed- Single Display Performance Mode

Power Management- Prefer Max. Performance

Texture Filtering, Anisotropic Sample- Off

Texture Filtering, Negative LOD bias- Allow

Texture Filtering, Quality- Quality

Threaded Opt.- On

Triple Buff.- Off

V-Sync- Use 3D app settings

One last thing, when your in the game, set it to High Priority! Actually made a diffrence for me. Now this isnt going to make your games completley lag free, but its a step in the right direction.

Hmm no offence, but lots of snake oil tips there. Some of those suggestions will make he game run worse for many people. EG high priority. A lot of them will do nothing at all. They definitely wont do anything to make your GPU get more work on a CPU bogged down server in an MP mission.

Edited by -=seany=-

For me it improved performance in general

did u guys try the gpu_maxframesahead 1 in the arma2oa.cfg?

i used to use 'default' video memory setting in options, gave me better performance but crashed my game regularly when ran out of ram.

i now have to use 'very high' video memory but my gpu memory usage is capped at ~880mb and its causing texture swapping due to lack of gpu ram, but i have a 2GB card!

the issue continues...

Tried maxframesahead- no dice... dur..:(

Yeah, I've heard about Max Frames Ahead tweaks before but I've tried everything from 0 to 8 and never saw a bit of difference.

By the way, maxmem=9999 does nothing because the max accepted value is 2048 IIRC.

Some people say it's 4096- so I just set it to 9999 for the hell of it

afaik maxmem is still 2047 maximum (any higher value is lowered to it)

i´ve done some testing on this case, with some friends both lan and on dedi over the web.

i host the dedi on a 2600k(4,6ghz), fix on 4 threads, the other 4 are for the client i play with.

fps are allways smooth and gfx card is limiting fps(2x2SSAA/16AF on HD6970), even when dedi is on low fps around 15fps.

my mates(amd1100T@3,6ghz+GTX470 and AMD 965@3,8ghz+HD5850) are playing on my dedi, it normally runs fine, always gfx limited.

but if the dedi is on low fps(many ai+vehicles) their fps just get unplayable. (me 45fps, dedi 25fps, 1100T 20fps and 965 around 10fps). gfx load for them is at almost zero.

without many vehicles it runs fine for them at 500+AI but with vehicles its over.

so (a lot of)vehicles are fps killer for my friends, even with latest betas.

It's probably the AI rather than vehicles, but yeah. IIRC the dedicated server only uses one core, so that's possibly a bottleneck there.

The issue is also in SP, just not to such a big extent (like 10% higher gpu usage in SP)

Perhaps it's because in multiplayer the terrain detail defaults to low? Try to compare with low terrain detail in SP.

How do we change this? Things look a lot better in SP on my system.

Guys try getting the latest bata patch, the Changelog said "engine tweaks" and its 40 MB.

Guys try getting the latest bata patch, the Changelog said "engine tweaks" and its 40 MB.

it's because of missions_e.pbo included with mission fixes ...

ofcourse there are THE other engine fixes too :D

I Tried it out and it was a signifigant Improvment! Nice Job! Question though- I was getting good solid FPS in takistan (40-60 in big missions) But Chernaus I was getting 18-20 (launched Arma2CO_beta.bat) do the tweaks affect Chernaus? and does the memory allocator help with the FPS? Great work though :D!

EDIT- Hmm after playing around with missions like flashpoint Chernaus, my FPS will stay at around 20, then randomly jump to 40 for a couple seconds, then back to 20.. really odd :o, any Idea why this is happening? using malloc-3

Edited by Burdy

you can get the big FPS spikes on Cherno with more than 2000/2500 VD and just looking at different trees. Also you can log your CPU and GPU usage etc with Adia64 ( http://www.aida64.com/downloads ), while your using Fraps and see what is going on on the low FPS. You may have your CPU going into low power states.

I Tried it out and it was a signifigant Improvment! Nice Job! Question though- I was getting good solid FPS in takistan (40-60 in big missions) But Chernaus I was getting 18-20 (launched Arma2CO_beta.bat) do the tweaks affect Chernaus? and does the memory allocator help with the FPS? Great work though :D!

EDIT- Hmm after playing around with missions like flashpoint Chernaus, my FPS will stay at around 20, then randomly jump to 40 for a couple seconds, then back to 20.. really odd :o, any Idea why this is happening? using malloc-3

which beta patch version did u try? i'm on 1.59.85889.

The Latest- Significant Improvement (which hopefully leads to more improvement)

Is it still possible to play on a server using the standard version if I have the beta installed?

No, changes the version of the game to 1.60

The Latest- Significant Improvement (which hopefully leads to more improvement)

'the latest' is not a specific version number...

keep in mind build 86277 and up are 1.60, needs server to be 1.60 as well.

Just updated from the latest beta to the RC and I get 20 less fps 0.o

Bump- Problem still big- missions That I get 40 % usage, friends get around 90% (worse CPU's, about same GPU)