Sign in to follow this  
burdy

Super low GPU usage on MP only???

Voted up and wrote something myself. Kind of a frustrating issue when you have $500 worth of GPUs and they're running at 25% utilization half the time.

Voted up and wrote something myself. Kind of a frustrating issue when you have $500 worth of GPUs and they're running at 25% utilization half the time.

well this is tricky

low GPU utilization can also indicate CPU or bus can't feed it fast enough

or that the engine uses only features which are maxxed on 25% (i know thats more likely not true)

or bug (always possibility)

well this is tricky

low GPU utilization can also indicate CPU or bus can't feed it fast enough

or that the engine uses only features which are maxxed on 25% (i know thats more likely not true)

or bug (always possibility)

Well the thing is this is Only in Multiplayer.. In single player I can play a CPU Challenging mission like Take The island (Intel I5 760 @ 4.0 ghz) and get 90% usage and 30+ FPS (And is very smooth), while on MP if im client or host, If I play a mission with less AI, I get 30% usage, and super choppy FPS (at around 20), really game breaking :(..

I'd like to think I'm not CPU limited at almost 4 GHz quad core, but who knows. But like Burdy said, it seems to only be in MP so it's probably not that.

Hey guys sorry for late reply,

I tried terrain detail very low and low in SP map, but there's no diff in FPS until i go to very high, then i lose about 3fps.

gpu_maxframesahead 1 helps abit, more smooth than at detected/default setting of 1000. Although now when i look through sniper scope, my gpu utilization increases to 100% like the 1000 maxframes, but no fps increase. At 1000 maxframes, my FPS increase and utilization increase to 100%. same with binoculars/rangefinder.

I have been using beta patches since sep 2010, performance is better and all the observations i get are from the beta patches. But good point sickboy.

Also, if server default to grass off, then i configure it to on, i get even lower fps than with grass off. Weird!

High gpu utilization >85% even at 30fps is smooth,

Any reason why that when the battle heats up- Usage goes down?

Any reason why that when the battle heats up- Usage goes down?

i would think that when battle heats up u need the extra fps? :(

i would think that when battle heats up u need the extra fps?

Exactly! There has to be some kind of way to fix this:(

Its the NVDA driver?

What is your hardware?. Do all of you have 470/5XX Nvida cards? Are all on Intel? i7/i5?

Any ATI/AMD?

Alright Guys I made a little test mission to see what every ones usage is at- Open the editor and place a single unit and check ur usage and FPS- Then play this and check it http://www.mediafire.com/?23tsbimhxlndzqc.. My usage was 12-22 % and I got 10 fps.. why does your GPU just die with lots of ai :confused:

Why not read the link provided?

Alright Guys I made a little test mission to see what every ones usage is at- Open the editor and place a single unit and check ur usage and FPS- Then play this and check it http://www.mediafire.com/?23tsbimhxlndzqc.. My usage was 12-22 % and I got 10 fps.. why does your GPU just die with lots of ai :confused:

Maybe it has to do with CPU limitations? But if so, the multithreading needs to be improved.

I would think a 4 ghz CPU would be enough for any modern game

My ATI/Intel setup doesnt have this problem.

More CPU power is always good.

AI is a CPU function, but their model is GPU. When you use more CPU your GPUs tank..? sounds like a nvidia issue not a BIS problem.

Would be good to know if its only the newer 4xx/5xx vidcards or if any 26x/275/28x cards have this?

If the bottleneck is CPU, or if FPS is artificially lowered, then a lower GPU utilization seems a logical result. (and afaik there's no GPU utilization other than for graphics, so no physx etc)

Here's Suma on why AI on dedicated servers still costs CPU on the clients; http://dev-heaven.net/issues/6963#note-28

which is probably regardless of AI is in view or not.

Perhaps future improvements to AI/simulation may improve the situation..

ummm that word from SUMA is worrying.

Oh well all we can hope for is at least multicore support for dedicated servers then because as it is now dedi servers dont make use of them or so I have been told.

They should improve multicore support in general

ummm that word from SUMA is worrying.

Oh well all we can hope for is at least multicore support for dedicated servers then because as it is now dedi servers dont make use of them or so I have been told.

It's not realyl worrying at all, it just only means to keep remote A.I. at a low level below 250 on the whole map. That could easily be archived for example in CTI by not allowing to attack towns all over the map but one after one.

i just tried this mission, initially the black "receiving" screen came up for some time with gunfire sounds for sometime before anything came up. i also got around 20-24% usage and 10fps. :(

after the enemies died i got somewhere like 24fps and 40% usage.

The thing is, if it's really a CPU limitation, then no CPU currently in production would likely be able to not be the bottleneck for this game...and it's a 3 year old game...

Kinda just more justification for further multithreading support.

And if it is a server/client limitation as Suma hints at, then I guess at best we can just hope that ArmA3 is not the same situation.

Would be good to know if its only the newer 4xx/5xx vidcards or if any 26x/275/28x cards have this?

Sounds really wierd!?

I have a nVidia GTX 260 and never experienced anything like this. Still running XP and my driver is 191.07 WHQL.

Only time I seen my GPU at lower than max is in editor or if A2OA is minimized but that make sense.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat