Sign in to follow this  
burdy

Super low GPU usage on MP only???

Hey guys, whenever I play MP my gpu usage drops to 30-40%.. The second I leave a mp game or go back to the menu, or play SP, the usage goes back up to 99%??? Really annoying.. 20 fps MP, 60-70 SP... Using a GTX 470 newest drivers, Very high memory settings, very high preset... Need help :(

The problem is only in combined ops... not regular Arma 2... o_O

One more thing, after experimenting with arma 2, the usage gets worse and more choppy over time...

Edited by Burdy

Yes, My Gtx 470 is overclocked to the stock speed of the 480 o_0, And my chart looks exactly the same!

Another update- I notice as the more bots my missions have, the lower the GPU usage (i5 760 @3.9 GHZ)

Edited by Burdy

yes i am also experiencing this issue, ref http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=118853.

always getting 40-50% gpu usage in MP, but getting 99% in menu or SP. of course not always at 99% but usually >75%.

at 40-50% usage, fps is always around 25-30fps which make it hard to play. zoom into optic sights and usage goes up to 99% and get higher fps.

tried setting gpu_maxframesahead to 1 in arma2oa.cfg, currently testing that. ref http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=2047525&postcount=35

Perhaps it's because in multiplayer the terrain detail defaults to low? Try to compare with low terrain detail in SP.

I suppose this is related to how MP server FPS / simulation is somehow synchronized to all connected machines?

Perhaps it limits your FPS and therefore also the needed GPU processing power.

Hear it more often - low FPS in MP, although the server is taking over much of the AI processing etc. Of course there is still some simulation done per object on every machine, but you rather shouldn't have lower FPS (unless visual quality settings are very different) :P

It's logic, if the game runs server side the computer has to run less details... if you run single player your computer does everything on it's own..=\

BTW in multiplayer use addon to set your viewdistance when you want to cause MP reduces it to 1500..

@celery ok.

thats kinda the problem, in MP fps is more impt than in SP for me... does that mean for a server that has less ppl connected shld be higher fps?

i dont understand the [but you rather shouldn't have lower FPS (unless visual quality settings are very different)] part...

It's logic, if the game runs server side the computer has to run less details... if you run single player your computer does everything on it's own..=\
Logic would be that you have higher FPS in MP due to less needed processing.

Also, the processing that you don't have to do in MP as client, should rather show a difference on CPU rather than on the GPU :)

So it seems something else fishy's going on.

A friend also noticed in Take on Helicopters, the same issue - only 20% usage of GPU in MP, but low FPS :)

On the other hand, server might force certain settings (mission or otherwise) of Terrain detail (incl grass off/on), and viewdistance..

Edited by Sickboy

I have had this since I can remember. I always guessed that the client could not exceed the FPS of the server, that's what it feels like anyway.

I dont think its server side- when my friend hosts the game he always gets around 30 fps higher then me- so the server doesnt limit fps, plus I get the same lag when I host a game

I noticed this too, actually. Thought it was odd after I upgraded that I was still getting slowdown in certain places when in SP and otherwise framerates were really high.

Didn't put it together that it was only MP but now it makes sense.

I just did another test- In SP when I look straight at the ground my GPU Usage shoots up to 100, and I get 100 FPS, but when I look up, my GPU usage drops down to about 60 and I get 30-45 fps??? BIS Please fix this, ruining the game for me :(... (This is on a empty map)

Edited by Burdy

The GPU usage isn't an isolated problem, as usage goes down, so do FPS.

I know, but the usage goes down a ton when you look up, but sky rockets up when you look at the ground

Okay I just tried the beta.. It fixed the low GPU usage for Takistan, but in chernaus its still 30-40, and 20-25 fps

Edited by Burdy

Just tested more with beta patch and the more units there are, the more the usage of the GPU goes down... But I have friends with worse PC's that are getting higher FPS, really annoying :mad:

Yeah, it is an odd issue. In Chernarus and other islands with massive forests (Celle, for example) I get low GPU usage but also slowdown when looking toward trees. Haven't tried any tweaks like the Proper vegetation, but I think it's more of an engine issue.

Erg... Well any ways to overcome this or tweaks? -cpucount=4 helped until the server had lots of bots (I was both host and client when testing)