Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Super low GPU usage on MP only???

Question Super low GPU usage on MP only???

Hey guys, whenever I play MP my gpu usage drops to 30-40%.. The second I leave a mp game or go back to the menu, or play SP, the usage goes back up to 99%??? Really annoying.. 20 fps MP, 60-70 SP... Using a GTX 470 newest drivers, Very high memory settings, very high preset... Need help

The problem is only in combined ops... not regular Arma 2... o_O
    One more thing, after experimenting with arma 2, the usage gets worse and more choppy over time...
    Last edited by Burdy; Nov 8 2011 at 02:21.

ST_Dux: "Conspiracy theorists aren't the great skeptics that they envision themselves to be; they are a weak sort who cannot for the life of them accept the fact that some things -- most things, actually -- happen for no reason at all. There is no master plot; there is no system; the only thing consistent in this world is inconsistency.

Yes, My Gtx 470 is overclocked to the stock speed of the 480 o_0, And my chart looks exactly the same!

Another update- I notice as the more bots my missions have, the lower the GPU usage (i5 760 @3.9 GHZ)
    Last edited by Burdy; Nov 8 2011 at 02:38.

Staff Sergeant
    yes i am also experiencing this issue, ref http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=118853.

always getting 40-50% gpu usage in MP, but getting 99% in menu or SP. of course not always at 99% but usually >75%.

at 40-50% usage, fps is always around 25-30fps which make it hard to play. zoom into optic sights and usage goes up to 99% and get higher fps.

tried setting gpu_maxframesahead to 1 in arma2oa.cfg, currently testing that. ref http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost....5&postcount=35
    http://taw.net
    The Art of Warfare - join our Arma III team (Maturity, Microphone & Teamspeak 3 required)
    We have an ACE+ACRE public server now too!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeNukeM. View Post
    tried setting gpu_maxframesahead to 1 in arma2oa.cfg, currently testing that. ref http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost....5&postcount=35
    Let us know how that works out

Perhaps it's because in multiplayer the terrain detail defaults to low? Try to compare with low terrain detail in SP.

I suppose this is related to how MP server FPS / simulation is somehow synchronized to all connected machines?
    Perhaps it limits your FPS and therefore also the needed GPU processing power.
    Hear it more often - low FPS in MP, although the server is taking over much of the AI processing etc. Of course there is still some simulation done per object on every machine, but you rather shouldn't have lower FPS (unless visual quality settings are very different) :P

It's logic, if the game runs server side the computer has to run less details... if you run single player your computer does everything on it's own..=\
    BTW in multiplayer use addon to set your viewdistance when you want to cause MP reduces it to 1500..

Staff Sergeant
    @celery ok.

thats kinda the problem, in MP fps is more impt than in SP for me... does that mean for a server that has less ppl connected shld be higher fps?

i dont understand the [but you rather shouldn't have lower FPS (unless visual quality settings are very different)] part...

Quote Originally Posted by RavoC View Post
    It's logic, if the game runs server side the computer has to run less details... if you run single player your computer does everything on it's own..=\
    Logic would be that you have higher FPS in MP due to less needed processing.

Also, the processing that you don't have to do in MP as client, should rather show a difference on CPU rather than on the GPU

So it seems something else fishy's going on.

A friend also noticed in Take on Helicopters, the same issue - only 20% usage of GPU in MP, but low FPS

On the other hand, server might force certain settings (mission or otherwise) of Terrain detail (incl grass off/on), and viewdistance..
    Last edited by Sickboy; Nov 9 2011 at 19:06.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast