Sign in to follow this  
RevoltingPeasent

Arma Combined Ops

Hi, i just tried Arma 2 free.

It seemed like it could be a great game, but all the servers were terrible. They played this map called domination, and all people seemed to do was fly jets and choppers blowing everything up and being 'very silly'.

It was one of the worst experiences i have had online lol.

But, i just want to know if it's worth getting arma2 combined ops, or whatever the latest version is. I like the infantry stuff, maybe one transport chopper but the jets and all that just bring gameplay down to a really bad level. Is there hope, are there good servers, and lots of them for the latest arma version?

(Im in Australia btw)

I can see it could be a really great game, but if there is little difference from arma 2 free, then i wont bother.

Also it seemed clunky(all settings lowest), the physics was basically broken, and loads of stupid gameplay 'things' were happening. Is there a difference in the basic code of arma 2 free and the latest versions?

I just want to know if the game is able to live up to what is possible, it seems like a lot is possible, but has it become a reality, and if i choose to buy, where and how should i do it? Because the first time i bought arma 1, i did so from digital river, and they ripped me off, i got a broken piece of software, and they ran away with my money.... Wow can't believe im actually asking if i should buy this..! It's really been a gong-show!

Domination is crap, I feel you man. Public servers in ArmA are a place you want to stay away from as much as you can.

The vast majority of servers in CO are private (means passworded and with a requirement of having a mic) and usually they have a great focus on teamwork - and play missions made by members playing on that server. Thanks to a teamspeak requirement everyone is in constant contact with everyone so nobody just runs around randomly. Be it coop or pvp.

So if you don't mind going through the hassle of installing additional software (like teamspeak and maybe some mods which improve the game), have a mic and prefer to play the game as a part of a team - then buying CO is a right choice. Afterwards all you need to do is go into the squad subforum and find a squad/server that fits your playstyle.

Personally I'd recommend Comrades in Arms, United Operations and 6th Sense as a great starting point.

Just to add there are some active Australian / South Pacific communities as well.

You say the game is clunky? What hardware are you using?

Thanks, hardware is fairly good. Just the way the game is presented seemed clunky, but it would be no prob at all if the gameplay picked up some. So Combined ops the way to go then. Ive seen two prices for it so far from the website, one was 59 bucks, the other is around 30.. hmm, sprocket a good place to go?

Thanks, hardware is fairly good. Just the way the game is presented seemed clunky, but it would be no prob at all if the gameplay picked up some. So Combined ops the way to go then. Ive seen two prices for it so far from the website, one was 59 bucks, the other is around 30.. hmm, sprocket a good place to go?

Sprocket has been reliable for me. Plus the money goes directly to the developer because it is their website.

Sprocket version also has no DRM and lets you download the proper installation files to burn onto DVDs or keep on HDD without any third party software if you'd wish so

..and all people seemed to do was fly jets and choppers blowing everything up and being 'very silly'.

I like you already :p

I'm pretty sure you will find other missions to enjoy, as a sandbox game ArmA will be what you make it be.

Please note that Domination can be a very enjoyable experience but it's all up to the current players on the server (though I share your current view most often).

Domination is crap.

Just to clarify for you, Domination and similar missions are actually very good, and much beyond what 75% of the community could make in terms of complexity. The reason I say this is that it's not the mission or the game, it's how you play it.

If you want to play like a headless chicken then so be it, but you don't have to. It's all down to the individual player. And Metalcraze, if someone had said something like that about a project that you had poured hours upon hours of time into, I don't think you'd be very impressed.

Got to agree with you Hellfire, it is not crap. What it is though is generic, kill enemy, take the town, move on, kill enemy, take the town, rinse and repeat...

BUT!! and its a big but.

Play this mission for a few hours with team orientated players then you do have a blast especially if you do the side missions also.

And yeah, I would be extremely upset with that comment from metalcraze if I created this mission or was involved with its creation.

I have massive respect for the author of Domination, and have spent many hours playing it. It is no more repetetive than the game modes you will find in other titles.

Yes, Domi can be VERY confusing and frustrating if you are totally new to Arma, but that is not the mission makers fault, BIS need to take steps to make Arma more friendly to new users, especially for online modes.

And Metalcraze, if someone had said something like that about a project that you had poured hours upon hours of time into, I don't think you'd be very impressed.

Not everyone can like the extremely repetitive "go to the area X, kill everyone in that area, if you die you can just respawn and teleport back" missions. Hours upon hours don't guarantee high quality.