Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: flight model editing

1.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #61
    Quote Originally Posted by OMAC View Post
    Again, this is just a first impression (~30 minutes of gameplay), but the changes to the FMs seem DRASTIC for kb/mouse, and should be revisited in their entirety. Back to the drawing board.
    Sorry but you probably have wrong expectations about expert difficulty. I would never expect that someone will try to control compex flight model of helicopter with mouse/keyboard. Those controlers can be used on lower dificulty settings where the game autotrim assists. Increased torque/pedals use and increased descent speeds with collective at 0 are intentional for this patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Armored_Sheep View Post
    Sorry but you probably have wrong expectations about expert difficulty. I would never expect that someone will try to control compex flight model of helicopter with mouse/keyboard. Those controlers can be used on lower dificulty settings where the game autotrim assists. Increased torque/pedals use and increased descent speeds with collective at 0 are intentional for this patch.
    Can't agree more! Mouse&keyboard are not a heli controllers. Keep up a good work Armored_Sheep.

3.   This is the last Developer post in this thread.   #63
    I tweeked the tail rotor ranges a bit on Light and Medium heli.

If anyone will not find any serius issue here (braking gameplay in original missions) theese will be final patch values.

Also one more note to OMACs observations - Ground effect will be reduced in patch 2. This is done in program not by any XML settings.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Armored_Sheep; Dec 15 2011 at 14:03.

You're kidding, right? We've been using kb/mouse to control "complex flight model" on Expert for months and having lots of fun. Are you saying that the current FM in patch 1.02 is NOT a "complex flight model"?

DnA wrote many months ago that it was the full intention of BIS to allow full play with kb/mouse. Apparently that has gone by the wayside? Perhaps this FM could be applied if a controller is detected, and another FM applied if one is not?

I also thought that big FM changes would be in the third patch, not the second.

Yes, Maruk mentioned that the ground effect would be reduced for this patch, which is good.

Ziggy, thanks for the backup. That will be a first for me, having to patch a game back to an earlier versioin. WTF??!!!!! Unless I am missing something, this seems fubared. Again, what happened to the beta patches? It's impossible to test the new FM + ground effect without a full beta patch.

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 AM ----------

If anyone will not find any serius issue here (braking gameplay in original missions) theese will be final patch values.
    How can we test if missions are broken without the modified ground effect?

You're kidding, right? We've been using kb/mouse to control "complex flight model" on Expert for months and having lots of fun. Are you saying that the current FM in patch 1.02 is NOT a "complex flight model"?

DnA wrote many months ago that it was the full intention of BIS to allow full play with kb/mouse. Apparently that has gone by the wayside? Perhaps this FM could be applied if a controller is detected, and another FM applied if one is not?

I also thought that big FM changes would be in the third patch, not the second.

OMAC,

It's a pity you would refuse to use these updated XMLs... We heard from the real chopper pilots on the forum that the required control inputs in real life have to be very subtle and as smal as possible. How can you expect to achieve this using keypresses for the collective and pedals??

The updated RC XML files makes the handling of the light and medium heli so much more enjoyable here (using a joystick) that I would in fact suggest you to buy a simple joystick controller for TOH... I sincerely doubt you would regret it.

These changes are also more finetuning of the existing XML files as Armored_Sheep told us that RLIB4 would only be implemented next year allowing for more realism in the simulation of the helicopters behavior (and therefore the big FM changes too).

I personally really appreciate the fact that BIS tries to make their choppers behave as close as possible to their real counterparts...

Regards,
    Sylvain

I'm also delighted that the flight dynamics receive continued adjustment. I want the expert model to evolve to be as close to real world behaviour as possible.

Thanks for the hard work producing these updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylle View Post

I personally really appreciate the fact that BIS tries to make their choppers behave as close as possible to their real counterparts...
    Me too, but shouldn't that have been implemented before the game was released, or at least after release and testing of multiple betas, like in A2/OA?

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

Me too, but shouldn't that have been implemented before the game was released, or at least after release and testing of multiple betas, like in A2/OA?

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php
    Woulda, coulda, shoulda? Bit too late for that now.

Peeps are screaming for a more authentic flight model, so they're implementing it. Better late than never.

Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3 Motherboard | Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.0GHz | NVidia GeForce GTX770 4GB
    16GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz RAM | Kingston HyperX SSD | ASUS Xonar D2X
    sound | be Quiet! 700W PSU | Windows 7 x64

Quote Originally Posted by MadDogX View Post
    Better late than never.
    Exactly!

S.

That's like saying " I want my iPad to behave like my Commodore64, 'cause that's what I learned at the beginning of computing, that's the way it should stay!"

Joking aside, whatever it takes to get closer to realism gets two thumbs up!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast