So patch 1.02 is a Commodore64? How insulting to BIS! You must have felt like a moron for buying such a cheesy, outdated game. :D

Patch 1.02: have fun playing game after months learning to fly on Expert

Patch 1.03: struggle for weeks learning new twitchy flight model; downheartedly consider having to replay all of campaign, challenges, and time trials, as all progress made using Commodore64 FM rendered candy-ass and invalid by "realistic" new flight model which is awesome with controllers but maddening and unnecessary with kb/mouse.

But all the other changes in 1.03 sound very awesome and will improve the game significantly.

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

You got that right! No use complaining now. But I thought I'd get in a few words in the hopes of having a real ToH beta program in the future as promised.

I'm not one of those screaming peeps. I thought that a few minor tweaks, especially to ground effect, would have done the job, at least for kb/mouse.

With a grand total of ~2-3 people in these forums who play with kb/mouse, I don't blame BIS for moving in this direction. But for us lowly controller-less souls, the next month will prove to be very interesting indeed.

don't worry, think of all the time you've invested as "conceptual understanding"

When pilots IRL transition to a new bird it takes time to become familiar with the new control setup.

I bet you will see that this will be the case for you as well.

when you transition from an R-22 to a Bell 206 I'm sure the controls feel very different, but you wouldn't give up learning them because of all the advantages the new systems offer.:D

I wrote this yesterday after testing the 1.03 RC on Expert using kb/mouse:

Despite insistent declarations by many that it is utterly impossible to have control over a "complex flight model" using kb/mouse, perhaps to justify their expenditures for controllers (;)), even this new flight model can be readily flown on Expert. Hard-core, ninja-like moves through downtown are not much more difficult than in 1.02, but manual trim for left pedal is required for light and medium helis. Landing without autohover, however, is much, much, much more difficult. Having the reduced ground effect makes it more difficult than before, I think, as their is no air cushion, and you drop like a stone, crashing ~90% of the time, even when moving <5 kph and <5 m/sec drop. With autohover on, things are not that much different than before, but any increase in collective using analog collective key induces massive right raw. But that is readily controllable, just more of a pain. Practice, practice.

If these are "Small flight model tweaks," I wonder what the major changes will be like in patch #3. Make no mistake, the FM changes in 1.03 RC are DRASTIC. More realistic, I guess. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 AM ----------

OMAC, why wont you buy a joystick? :) It's really worth it. It feels so much better then kb/mouse, it's so much more imersive, so much easier to control heli with it. And it's not expensive piece of equipment. You will never fly a heli so precisely with kb/mo as with joystick no matter if its current FM or the new one.

Yes, maybe I should ask for one from Santa. But the cost of ToH + controller puts it over even Black Ops in terms of price. Not absolutely sure that is worth it, although there is no question that one can more fully appreciate and enjoy the game using a controller.

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

don't worry, think of all the time you've invested as "conceptual understanding"

When pilots IRL transition to a new bird it takes time to become familiar with the new control setup.

I bet you will see that this will be the case for you as well.

You are absolutely correct. It is the case for me with 1.03 RC.

Ziggy, you DO HAVE a joystick and you fly with kb/mouse?! :eek:

dam right. would you have me fly skilled with keyboard/mouse, or crash all the time with joystick. Ten years of muscle memory cannot be overcome easily.

Thumb slider for collective and twisting the stick for pedal are the issues for me.

Perhaps If I had pedals from a racing game and remapped the collective away from that slider I might have better control.

Can anyone share the current FM configs (1.05 official) here? I don't know where to find and how to extract the files from the original pbo's... Thx.

ok thanks, will try that!

---------- Post added at 20:30 ---------- Previous post was at 18:37 ----------

Has anyone been able to extract the DLC FM config? With Eliteness I get "DePbo Entry's reserved field non-zero" while trying to extract any of those pbo's...

Not trying to necro a thread, but I find this thread out of frustration with ToH.

I've installed all of the files from this thread and the flight model is MUCH better, in regards to input lag.

However, I no longer hear engine audio.

Any help?

Hello
I am pretty new to TOH and totally new to this forum, so please forgive me if I should have started a new thread - sorry to taking up some old thread.

TOH is kind of what I like from a heli game, but one thing annoys me:
Often (in a mission, eg. the sling load one) - when I am about to land, I get some giant wind sideways, often turning the heli in 180 degrees, which makes the heli quite impossible to control.

Is there a way to edit those settings for those heavy winds blowing?

Could that be in the XML inside another file (described in this thread)?
If yes, then what should I edit?

If no.. could you suggest another way to do it?

Regards
ChokDK