Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auto hover?

Private First Class
    Author of the Thread
    Im getting a bit better now with some practice.
    But my question was: does some real life helicopters have an auto-hover feature? Guess the small ones don't have it, but what about rescue choppers etc?

Yes, the HH-65 of the US Coastguard seems to have an auto-hover feature.

And from my experience with Black Shark I remember the Kamov KA-50 to have a fairly advanced autopilot.

There are auto pilots for helicopters, can also be installed in light ones. Some more capable ones will also be able to do transition to hover instead of just altitude hold. But from what I've found out, they don't tend to allow collective input without "fighting the input or disengaging the mode/ap", so my guess is that autohover is probably fine if a decent autopilot is installed, but using it to land would be unrealistic.
    Regards
    Carl Gustaffa - left this game due becoming Steam Exclusive

Yes many whirlwinds are "autohover" capable.
    One for all: the AH 64 "Apache" with an enhanced autopilot with attitude, altitude and position hold in hover.
    Military helicopters use this device to fly NOE or to get masked hover behind covering terrain for LOAL launch or for LOBL launch with the "longbow" radar

Quote Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
    Im getting a bit better now with some practice.
    But my question was: does some real life helicopters have an auto-hover feature? Guess the small ones don't have it, but what about rescue choppers etc?
    don't worry so much about auto hover, if you use it you won't improve. if rescuing people wasn't such a time sensitive and critical task the pilots would opt not to use this feature. plus hovering with very little forward view on those big helos are a daunting task when you're at 50+ ft and can't detect small movements very well against the ocean waves.

I use autohover as last rescue when messing up a landing: I try (and most often succeed) to perform a normal landing; but when I mess it up (e.g. by "chasing the needle" or over-compensating) I just hit autohover to stabilize the beast and try again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12