Sign in to follow this  
--Scorpion--

Mission-Campaign or Campaign-Mission ? That's the question.

Mission-Campaign: The normal BIS campaign where you'll complete mission after mission to complete the campaign.

Campaign-Mission: One big and long mission with plenty of primary and secondary missions that'll form the campaign in one mission.

So what you prefer ? The first or the second option ?

I'm just asking the question before I start making my campaign to know what the Arma 2 player think. Let me know what you prefer.

Let me know what you think.

BTW, how many of you have never played a Campaign-Mission ?

Edited by -[Scorpion]-

Personally I think the Mission-Campaign is usually easier to pull off, but I prefer how novel the Campaign-Mission approach is and how it seems more seamless when playing it through.

Mission-campaign allows you to add a shit tin more detail and is a funkload easier to create.

Imagine how pissed off you would be if one coding error caused your entire 5 hour masterpiece to collapse.

I like play campaigns more: you can make better storyline-add cutscens before and after each mission, you can make short missions or long with lot of secundary objectives its only your decision.

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

I played few great mission-campaign: Forgotten few, Zero, few 1 mission campaigns from Conspiracies series but i always chose first to play campaigns. They can be long or short but i always first play campaigns.

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

For me creating 1 big mission-campaign its the same like creating campaign with few not to long missions. Litlle more work you put all missions in 1 folder and you add description.ext for campaign and thats all, only 10 more minutes of work ;)

I like to create Campaign-Missions ("Black Forest" and ~"Fly Like an Eagle" from my work) definitely more, because you can focus all effort to one mission and with spawning/deleting cycles there isnt any limitations. In campaigns always some parts reset between missions which dosent need to happen in Campaign-Missions.

As one new example of "Campaign-Mission" power, I would highly suggest to check "For The Life Of A Friend" by Undeceived. What a masterpiece it is, super good. ;)

one coding error caused your entire 5 hour masterpiece to collapse.

Cameron have a point here but he's talking from a mission maker perspective, the question is more about how the player see it ? I already know how frustrating it could be to screw a mission simply because of a typo but that's the mission maker responsibility to not make this mistake. If I put myself in player shoes, I always like to see the building half-destroyed from mission 2 be at the same status in mission 15. That's maybe only me but it feel not right to see a building who have been blow apart in one mission be standing like a new building in the next mission.

Maybe with BIS came up with a way to prevent this with a new code, you tell me.

P.S. Thanks SaOk

Edited by -[Scorpion]-
editing

I started off by making a Mission Campaign, where you started off and completed an objective and you followed the story by being given more and more missions to complete.

I initially found it easy to make by spawning and deleting everything needed along the way, but I ended up breaking it up into single missions for a Campaign for the sole reason players may never complete it in one gaming session and always have to starts right back at the start everytime.

The hardest thing I believe when making missions or campaigns (and between Arma2 and Ghost Recon I've made between 60 and 100 missions) is getting a good story to tell.

Once you figure out the story then you will know whether it will be one long mission or one campaign with multiple missions. And if your story is good then noone will care either way - if the story is weak or far-fetched then it won't be well received by the players.

I have done both and in my opinion one is not better than the other to produce and to from the opinion of the players who played.

Good luck with it.

Lighty.

I initially found it easy to make by spawning and deleting everything needed along the way, but I ended up breaking it up into single missions for a Campaign for the sole reason players may never complete it in one gaming session and always have to starts right back at the start everytime.

Are you sure we can't restart where we left with the savegame command ?

@Lightspeed

I'm 100% with you on this. Anyone can put stuff to shoot and blow on the map and call it a mission but it's another thing to do that for a reason with some consequence. The story is the key to any good mission since even a good mission without a good story will give the impression that something is missing.

as far as i'm concerned, I prefere missions-campaign.