Sign in to follow this  
TheLurk

Storyline?

Hey Guys...first of all MASSIVE congrats to Bohemia for making such a great simulation..

Buuuut (theres always a but isn't it?) I have to say I found the main Storyline a bit short to be honest, and I must say I expected just a little more so my question is: Will there be further "Story"lines or Mission strings made available later on as freeware or DLC of sorts?

I am aware of the Civil and Government Sector Missions as I'm currently flying my way through them. I was just curious if there will be expansions to the existing storyline later on?

thanks for your time guys!!

The community (both mission making and modding) will come up with lots and lots of wonderful scenarios to wind away the hours!!

Jump in to the editor yourself mate and let your imagination run wild!

i don't know how to script and i tried reading up on the tutorial on BiS but it lacks the indept explanation i require to understand how it works. plus i just want to fly not make missions =D, isn't that why we "pay" for the game? i don't mind paying for an addon or xpac with a large array of interesting and diverse missions but first things first, bis needs to fix the flight behavior of the helos.

Yeah thats cool mate. You will need to wait until the community come out with some missions etc then, shouldn't be too long... ;)

would help ease the time if there were more people flying multiplayer though. but as the mas evac mission is broken there isn't much purpose in flying.

Jesus Christ people are already b*&^hin'? Give it some time and there will be more missions. I could release one but I've decided to watch the impatient get more so. May be soon.

I'm telling you, learn the editor. Check out the A2 user-made tutorials, if the BIS one doesn't help. The Editor is pretty much the same except for the face lift.

Edited by Manzilla

Overall, it's a compromise been between mission complexity, the number of missions, and how stable they are.

In the main story, we present 11 core missions, 2 faction introductions, 3 military memories, 7 (dynamic) faction-based missions, and 8 lessons. We certainly don't think we're short-changing anyone here.

There's definitely more play-time here than in a whole host of recent 'AAA' games, with their 4-5 hours of content - but I am sorry that you've found yourself left wanting.

The goal was to present a great range of helicopter gameplay, find methods of introducing people to the choppers, and find a way of communicating a story. We've tried to be ambitious (some would say having a story at all in a flying game is too ambitious :p), but we've also worked within the confines of our resources.

We also aimed to make improvements to the stability of the missions, and aside from a few niggles with the odd jumping cargo containers (which we're investigating now, but did not reproduce in any of our internal testing), we're cautiously happy with the playability of the game at release; although that's not to say we're about to rest on our laurels, with patches already in the pipeline!

As others before me have said, the stock game-modes are just the beginning, and moving forward, we're hoping to better show you how to create your own missions, and integrate them into the heliport module. No, we're not certainly not saying that we build the platform, you build the game - our playable content attests to that - but we do say: now here are some tools to really get the most out of the game as a whole. There aren't too many developers or games out there which can promise that. :)

Best,

RiE

Edited by RoyaltyinExile

I think what he is trying to say is he was exspecting a little more from the story line than the couple of hours gameplay it provided.

SO bascily what you have purchased is a game with a platform to produce your own missions......HMM, some people just want to fly so they will have to wait for the rest of community to produce the work.

isnt it the job of the games company who we have supported to produce the mods and not the community..

i love the game and can see what can be done with it a few months down the road, i hope we can just take off and accept missions in flight and pick what we want to do (old simcop style)

until then, ill finish the missions and see what mods are about to fill my time

Regards

TMTC

7 (dynamic) faction-based missions

Best,

RiE

Does this mean the contract missions are different every time you play them? Kinda like the Challenges? Cool.

I'm still in the middle of the campaign and thus cannot comment on its length. But story wise I like it a lot. Meeting the old chaps from BAF and PMC glory again is very nice :)

isnt it the job of the games company who we have supported to produce the mods and not the community..

Uhm, not really ;) Mods/addons are (almost always) created by the community. This is true for any game.

DLC (free or paid) on the other hand is usually done by the devs.

I think what he is trying to say is he was exspecting a little more from the story line than the couple of hours gameplay it provided.

SO bascily what you have purchased is a game with a platform to produce your own missions......HMM, some people just want to fly so they will have to wait for the rest of community to produce the work.

i love the game and can see what can be done with it a few months down the road, i hope we can just take off and accept missions in flight and pick what we want to do (old simcop style)

until then, ill finish the missions and see what mods are about to fill my time

Regards

TMTC

yes that's basically what i meant, i'm sure i and quite a few others are more than happy to increase your pool of "resources" by purchasing mission packs that are playable in multiplayer or even just single player. i thought even though the career mode was short it was very enjoyable, i guess it's nostalgia from the old and beloved simcopter game which was the one of the first games on pc i've ever played. then again the game has only been out what a week or two? so i'll just wait and see.

I'm sure it must be longer than a couple of hours though. I have been playing the main story for more than that and I don't think I am near the end yet. Also, if you have played it through, have you done so on the hardest difficulty? You could consider it complete when you have done this.

Anyway I guess the problem is that a lot of us come from Arma2 (and OFP) and know what's in store once the community start producing missions. We also know that these games are built with longevity in mind. BI have built a Civil Helecopter Sim system that happens to come with a pre built scenario.

To be fair to people not from an Arma background, this isn't that obvious and may take a while to get used to. All I can say to those people is that you will eventually appreciate this more than you do now. You have bought a 'keeper' and while it may take a while for the content to be produced, it will be produced and you'll still be playing this game many moons from now.

To be fair to people not from an Arma background, this isn't that obvious and may take a while to get used to. All I can say to those people is that you will eventually appreciate this more than you do now. You have bought a 'keeper' and while it may take a while for the content to be produced, it will be produced and you'll still be playing this game many moons from now.

Couldn't have put it better myself. This is definately a game you will be coming back to time and time again. Quite a few people will be making missions / content as I type this. ;)

guys guys guys...dont get me wrong! I actually AM currently learning how to work the editor :p

I've never used it in ARMA2 so im quite new to it but getting better day by day.

I never said the Devs did a half arsed job on the Story they certainly did not I really enjoyed playing it top to end.

Even tho the Story "feels" short doesnt mean its bad or anything, what I found is that the Gameplay is not repetitive as it is with other games, that alone shows that the fine guys at BI really thought about it as good as they could and I for one absolutley appreciate that.

Also I fully agree with dale I certainly will enjoy this sim for many moons to come be it with User Created Content or my own.