Sign in to follow this  
.kju

DevCon - the developer console

hm it says for me:

> No page could be found at this address.

Works. Ty. But you forgot the Jcba-devcon.txt. :)

Works. Ty. But you forgot the Jcba-devcon.txt. :)

Try it again please. I've been having trouble with these forums all day.

configDump

Thanks. Unfortunately I cannot see a conflict and it works here.

Can you get someone else to test please?

Hmm. All installed but no response to entering and executing. Trying to find out what is wrong.

---------- Post added at 21:09 ---------- Previous post was at 21:07 ----------

Rpt says

["DevCon active: ","030312_training"]

["DevCon AutoInit.sqf executed"]

"### -=PA=-Михаил uses the DevCon (UID: 390724) ###"

Do you use ACE?

es, I use ACE, CBA and aall ACEX stuff + ACRE.

---------- Post added at 05:57 ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 ----------

Latest Ace and devcon using SIX Updater. Modline priority is fine, devcon after all mods. Map and teleport works. I guess its some ACE esc menu issue.

Read the last few posts above yours. :)

Yeah, I read them more than one time already. DevCon is not ACE compatible, right? Or I'd better make the allInOne config? Ok, I'll make it.

Well it works for me with ACE and from checking ACE config, I didn't find anything to break it.

Unfortunately either you have to do some testing and digging yourself, or seek the ACE people for advice.

I tested it again. Without any other mods of mine. Only ACE core and ACRE. Same result.

Then I made modline like this: beta, CBA, devcon.

All worked.

I dumped all your repository from Dev-Heaven and gonna try looking into it. I couldn't unpack your pbo though.

This console could be an awesome thing for my RPG games in Arma to do Game Master job easily, but pity it's not ACE compat.

I'll let you know if I get any further.

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 14:54 ----------

I debugged the onButtonPressDebugConsole.sqf

It's not meeting this condition

// no code to execute, exit
if (_compileText != "") then

So it exits. Searching further. The question is: Why the code I enter in the field is nulled or not passed.

Why don't you just use the console that's baked into ACE? There are also other alternatives like the original console by STR.

Anyway, I suppose the issue is related to how ACE Settings menu entry is implemented. Try removing ace_settings and ace_settings_external.pbo to confirm.

As a workaround, use addAction and call the DevCon manually.

As far as I could understand loadDebugConsole.sqf never starts, so no eventhandler is assigned to any dielog elements and nothing happens on the press. Digging further.

---------- Post added at 16:07 ---------- Previous post was at 16:05 ----------

SickBoy, glad you came down here. This is my first time. I never knew there are other consoles except some SQFcalculator :) Anyways, all your advise is awesome. Checking it all now!

---------- Post added at 16:10 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

The main point in choosing this console is it's multiplayer protection. As far as I know all other consoles once loaded are available to everyone? Am I wrong?

---------- Post added at 16:19 ---------- Previous post was at 16:10 ----------

Removing ace setting and external didn't help. Same situation. Found this in rpt:

Warning: no type entry inside class RscDisplayMPInterrupt/controls/CA_B_SAVE

Warning: no type entry inside class RscDisplayMPInterrupt/controls/ACE_SETTINGS

Sickboy, can you link me to wiki about ACE debug console? I searched - nothing both on google and WAGN.

The DevCon is started via onLoad of the main display:

class RscDisplayMission: RscDisplayEmpty
{
onLoad = "_handle = [] execVM '\DevCon\init.sqf'; uiNamespace setVariable ['DEV_RscDisplayMission',_this select 0];";

class RscDisplayMPInterrupt: RscStandardDisplay
{
onLoad = "_this call DEV_fnc_onLoadRscDisplayMPInterrupt;";
onUnload = "_this call DEV_fnc_onUnloadRscDisplayMPInterrupt;";

class RscDisplayInterrupt: RscStandardDisplay
{
onLoad = "_this call DEV_fnc_onLoadRscDisplayInterrupt;";
onUnload = "_this call DEV_fnc_onUnloadRscDisplayInterrupt;";

At the risk of sounding stupid here, it states "Press ESC while in the editor/SP/MP. (Note: in MP only works for logged in admin)"

If press ESC while in the editor, its the same as 'exit' and asks me if I am sure I want to exit?

I figure I must be missing something here. The addon is loaded correctly and can be seen in the expansions.

Do you have any other addons active?

I risk sounding stupid too :) but are you sure you dont press ESC while in 2d editing mode? This only works when the mission is started and you have standard game menu on ESC. You have no game menu in editing mode. It's a tool with EXIT bound to ESC key. May be I acted like the Cap here, sorry.

I risk sounding stupid too :) but are you sure you dont press ESC while in 2d editing mode? This only works when the mission is started and you have standard game menu on ESC. You have no game menu in editing mode. It's a tool with EXIT bound to ESC key. May be I acted like the Cap here, sorry.

It should probably say:

Press ESC while Previewing a mission in the (SP or MP) editor.

instead of

Press ESC while in the editor/SP/MP.

If that's the case. :) I made the same mistake, pressing ESC while in the Editor.

Right. It's not correct. Console is working when when mission is running, not when it's being edited :)

By the way, I made my own version of this console for our operations. It is available only to me and is checking Arma2OA UID before opening. Very handy for my squad.

The thing is that we neve play same operation twice. Only training courses or shooting range. But almost every week we have a unique operation with unique scenario (may be a sequel or may be from scratch). So I made a file called snippets.sqf where I collect the sctipts useful for the console scenario control. It's much easier to leave some mission scenario interaction to console than to hardcode it into mission. Sometimes bots don't behave as intended or I lack experience working with waypoints. SOmetimes they stuck or flee somewhere. I just use console to make a new waypoint for them on the fly and correct the scenario. Sometimes I understand that at this moment anot turn of events will be suitable and I respawn more enemies or friendly support. Actually, sometimes my squadmates act out of the boundaries of the scenario or mission and they have the right to do it, but mission is not always technically ready to accept these radical maneuvers or actions and most of the time it's looking not realistic or silly. So the console helps a lot to make everything believable when it's needed without saving, exiting and fixing everything in the editor.

For roleplay scenarios this is a godsend. A true admin\GM tool.

For me, and I suspect how PvPscene intended it, it's a development tool, but it's cool that you use it that way. Perhaps the Mission Control Centre thingy might suit you better?

I tried MCC. Too buggy and very heavily impacts performance. A lot of CPU intence features that I don't use, but in genereal it was a great idea. MCC was very good at first glance. But I created one big reoleplay mission with virtual money and got a lot of unpredicted tchnical issues. So I quit it. Concole thingie is more... so to say more native, more low-level and you can achieve practically any resul as with MCC, but you just have to be a bit well-trained in scripting to prepare your own snippets.

Let's say, in MCC you make three clicks to create a hostile group patrolling an area. In my case I have a snippet code to create this group. I just have to remember the group variable afterwards. And for my game I usually have predefined markers in strategic and tactical places. Then I just issue a command like - commander_group1 move getMarkerPos "hideout1". I have another command to control the morale of the enemies. Sometimes we fight against nonorganized badly trained terrorists, but you can't create such units easily. So when I see that squad did everything so that in real life the enemies would have already surrender and cease fire, while arma terrist are like kamikaze fight to death... I activate my surrender script. My terrorsits randomly have cowardice variable so they drop weapons, tell in global chat that they surrender and put hands behind head. Some other ones yell "**** you" and flee away to hide and eventually give up too if suppressed enough.

I know, it's a bit cinematic and not hardcore, but that's our concept in Arma. We spend week or two to prepare 2 hour long operation, but it's just packed full, interesing, intense and unique. It's like a tv-series, new episode.

Sorry for offtopic :)

Sickboy, can you link me to wiki about ACE debug console? I searched - nothing both on google and WAGN.

ACE Debug Console can be turned on:

• in SP mission editor: Preview - Esc - Debug Console (since ACE Build 576);
  • per mission with my script ace_debug_console.sqf (for example player addAction ["dbc", "ace_debug_console.sqf"]);
  • with my addon ace_debug_console.pbo, in SP: Esc - Debug Console (main menu); in MP: Esc - ACE Debug Console (to the right of "About").

Better late than never :)