Sign in to follow this  
royaltyinexile

Take On Video Settings! - Discuss

Yes that's it you have to EDIT the target of your .exe of TOH.

But for you it will be something like that

-cpuCount=4 -maxmem=4096 -nosplash -nointro -mod=

How many CPU have you I7? And you have 8gb ram so 8192

Hi Hon0,

i7 has 8 cpu's and yes i have 8gig ram... i will edit the traget line again to see what happens..

Much appreciated matey!

Kia Ora

Doug

Thanks Hon0,

The new tweaked worked a treat and frame rates are up consistantly!

Cheers!

Doug

..... now where's my white cane...:cool:

Well... considering i know absolutely nothing about this tweaking stuff i will give that a try too!

Many thanks for your input my friend!

Will report back...

Ciao!

Doug

Mmmmmm... didnt seem to yield the same frame rates... am i doing something in error? Perhaps i am expecting too much from my system...:rolleyes:

Cheers!

Doug

What is exThreads?

32 bit is ok with 3gb no?

-cpucount not needed?

I think. I'm not sure. Than they updated something so we can allow more than 2gb. For the CPU count yeah for me as soon as I enter this line it changed a lot.. Don't know if it's the Maxmem or cpu count or.. both.

I'll try -exThreads=7

I did a quick benchmark to see if framerate was different.

the only parameter I use is -nosplash. I dropped a player unit into Seattle (editor) and noticed my framerate.

I then exited the game, added -cpucount=4 -exThreads=7 -maxmem=2047 to my shortcut, loaded back into that player unit and encountered the same exact framerate.

it does nothing for me. sorry.

I also use only -nosplash for ToH. Get rid of that other nonsense. :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember this from ToH Manual:

Object visibility should be set to 2/3 of visibility for optimal performance.

Edited by OMAC

I would definitely recommend upping the cloud quality to high or even very high :) Doesnt seem to do much for my fps but it really helps disguising my short view distance and object draw distance. I have a slower cpu/mem but a decent current gen gpu and the empty space looks pretty bad. With the awesome clouds the picture is very pretty again.

I updated the general information to include making sure your drivers are up to date, including Marek's tip about his Graphics Card:

I had some weird performance problems on my notebook with Geforce in Take On for long time. Unfortunately, I could not update the drivers so far easily (unsupported product, usual notebook problem with custom device drivers handling by manufacturers).

Finally, the new http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-285.79-beta-driver.html installed on my laptop and Take On runs really well on it now.

For reference, it is Asus G53S notebook, with Geforce GTX460M, Windows 7 x64, I am playing the game on default settings and it runs at stable 30 fps now.

I certainly recommend trying this new beta in case you have performance problems on Nvidia cards in Take On Helicopters (note that there are two releases, one for notebooks and one for desktops).

Best,

RiE

We've updated the Video Options Guide ...

I have a problem with style.

This, on Video Memory, for example:

"Just because you have a top of the range card, doesn't mean you should set it to high or very high.

In fact, this setting is best left alone (as default), and only tweaked if you experience problems!"

Well ... ok ... I guess ... not really. I'd much rather understand a good explanation than to just take someone's word for it.

BTW the only time I had problems was when I set ArmA VMemory to Default. Even with just a 5770, setting Very High works fine.

I have a problem with style.

This, on Video Memory, for example:

"Just because you have a top of the range card, doesn't mean you should set it to high or very high.

In fact, this setting is best left alone (as default), and only tweaked if you experience problems!"

Well ... ok ... I guess ... not really.

I'd much rather understand a good explanation than to just take someone's word for it.

This is advice which comes straight from our programmers, and a more detailed explanation is certainly not appropriate within the scope of that particular post, nor helpful to the goal of the topic, which was, as stated, to provide: a good starting point if they're not happy with their default video settings.

BTW the only time I had problems was when I set ArmA VMemory to Default. Even with just a 5770, setting Very High works fine.

This is exactly the problem. One simply can't factor in all of the different hardware combinations and developments that are available; particularly within the scope of a rather general post introducing 'standard practise' and 'basic setting descriptions' for those wanting to tweak video settings. :)

It's fantastic news that you've not had any problems; however, there are countless cases of those who have. I'm afraid a general post from the developer to a broad-based (in terms of skill and hardware) audience would never succeed in offering a 'good explanation' to the majority.

Best,

RiE

anybody recommend any good drivers for my AMD laptop graphics card? Might help give me a few extra frames. I have no clue what to look for on the AMD website though so could do with some help on that front.

managed to find my card details in the CCC

Graphics Chipset AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

EDIT:

What should I be looking for? I tried an Catalyst mobility update but that caused my screen to only go up to 1080x720 and also kept giving me errors that it couldn't find the amd drviers

Edited by [EVO] Dan

with my gtx 260 it wasnt workn bad but not perfect so i set the default to "high" instead of very high and it was super smooth but i still went back and tweaked things one at a time till i found the perfect setting balance between Framrate and nice textures.

Anyone have any suggestions for some tweaks so I can get at least 30fps average? I've tried following the guide and spent an hour or so trying to tweak to no avail.

System Specs:

i7 940 @ 2.93 Ghz

12 GB DDR3 1600 RAM

1 TB 7200RPM HD

Radeon HD 5770 1GB video card

I never had this much of an issue with the ArmA titles and managed to get them running in good FPS no problem.

You have a pretty decent CPU, why not consider overclocking it? Sometimes CPU impacts the performance.

You have a pretty decent CPU, why not consider overclocking it? Sometimes CPU impacts the performance.

Normally I do keep it overclocked, but this summer been having cooling issues in general with a heatwave so had to roll it back to stock for the time being.

I'm just not understanding where my performance hit is coming from settings wise as I've said my differences in ArmA from the rollback have been negligible FPS wise.

It seems like no matter what settings I use I'm getting around 20 FPS average on the Benchmark.

Edit: Overclocking did boost my FPS a bit, but not a whole lot.

Edited by deadlyhabit