Sign in to follow this  
royaltyinexile

Take On Video Settings! - Discuss

You might like to use this thread to discuss what you've found to be your 'ideal' settings.

The configuration that I've posted in my set up (for example) don't make much use of the epic visibility and object/ shadow draw distance, which some people will need and demand!

That'll mean other compromises will be made, and of course, everything depends on you rig. The PC way.

Best,

RiE

• Like 1

I'm a little confused about the video memory setting. I thought the "default" setting was always the best for high end video cards. Is this not true?

• Like 1

Yes, although there is always some exception to the rule (developing for PC:yay:), which is why you should only change that setting if you're really having problems with video memory.

• Like 1

Okay, thanks. :)

I was just hoping beyond hope that I might be able to tickle out a few more loose fps by "optimizing" the video memory setting. :D

Nice setup post (the locked one), RiE. It's some extra motivation to look at the graphics settings again, and actually think about what you want from the visuals in terms of visibility, detail etc ;)

The settings which are optimal for me are in my signature. I have spent considerable time tweaking them. Possibly they will help someone.

I generally set my 3d render resolution to my native monitor resolution, but for ToH I have reduced resolution to increase FPS while still retaining pretty good vis quality.

Alright, nice tutorial. But! I put the exact same specifications, except I'm running 1920x1080 resolution and I'm only getting around 20-25 FPS with this system:

i5-2500@3.3Ghz (4 Cores)

8GB DDR3 1600mHz

AMD 6950 (2GB)

850w Powersupply

7.200RPM HDD

All that small stuttering/lag is making it annoying, so can you explain where my system is lacking?

Or which settings I should turn down

EDIT: Ok, I turned down the visibility and it improved. I also turned AA down to 'Low' and now im getting 30-40 at least so thanks again for the tutorial!

Edited by Gangsta692

Alright, nice tutorial. But! I put the exact same specifications, except I'm running 1920x1080 resolution and I'm only getting around 20-25 FPS with this system:

i5-2500@3.3Ghz (4 Cores)

8GB DDR3 1600mHz

AMD 6950 (2GB)

850w Powersupply

7.200RPM HDD

All that small stuttering/lag is making it annoying, so can you explain where my system is lacking?

Or which settings I should turn down

EDIT: Ok, I turned down the visibility and it improved. I also turned AA down to 'Low' and now im getting 30-40 at least so thanks again for the tutorial!

HDD is your weak point, if the game isn't on the outer edge of the platter then it will increase load times which is not desirable for streaming type games like ToH.

Depends on the size of your HDD as well, 1tb or 2tb drives tend to be a bit quicker if the data is on the outer edges.

Take on like Arma is a game of cat and mouse with the graphics sliders.

If your GFX card isnt loaded then reduce the draw distance to let some work through to them.

Potentially flame war post! ;)

Beware of new AMD Bulldozer processor. Here are Arma II tests from Pctuning and AMD-8150 is worse then Phenom II x6 1100T.

Stock CPU

hry_2.png

Overclocked CPU

oc_2.png

All tests part 1. part 2. (Czech)

So I think if TKOH share same engine also will have same result. New Bulldozer seems to have less IPC then Phenom. Bulldozer maybe shine in some multi-thread applications and can be good for other games, but I think TKOH deserve better cpu. TKOH/Arma loves high IPC core and today Intel i5/i7 is better in this area.

I'm not writing this because I hate or don't like AMD (I'm former owner of three AMD cpu), but I only give my honest advice to anybody to not be later surprised that his new bought AMD "sucks" in TKOH.

Of course you may not agree on this with me :).

Edited by BoboCZ

Of course you may not agree on this with me :).

I certainly do, wish I had an i5 instead of an i7. Could have got it up to 5GHz and got myself some more draw distance.

Even heavily overclocking my 580s only grabs about 5 more FPS at the max when running 900 core clocks or higher over the standard 783.

i5 is the way to go.

What I tend to do for my settings is max out AA, Texture Filtering and then start to reduce my Draw Distance till I have the cards well loaded and I am happy with the draw distance.

When I say happy I mean accept the fact that I will never have 30k VD and a playable game at the same time and then settle for around 6 or 7k with all the trimmings instead.

The Bulldozer platform has some serious issues, no one really knows why either. The new Intels coming next month should be killers, but they are really expensive. Right now the i7-2600k is the CPU to buy. Or wait a couple of weeks for the new ones.

We've updated the Video Options Guide with quick notes on:

• Texture Detail
  • Resolution/ 3D Resolution
  • Antistropic filtering
  • Anti-aliasing
  • Terrain Detail
  • Shadow Detail

When we made these notes they were designed for OA, so we'll try to iron out irelevant/outdated and include up-to-date info as it becomes apparent.

Best,

RiE

Forgive my stupidity, but how do I get Take On to show me the framerate? In Arma I always just ran the Benchmarks to test my settings, but I cannot find a similar facility in the Steam Beta version of TOH.

It 'looks' okay, but without any numbers to look at, adjusting options is tricky for me :)

note they using 1.56 version of game which is quite obsolete in terms of performance tweaks ... (double time against 1.60 betas)

We've updated the video settings post with some quick notes on minimum and recommended specs.

Best,

RiE

We've updated the video settings post with some quick notes on minimum and recommended specs.

Best,

RiE

Nice - Only issue I have is the excessive usage of Spoilers (while there is nothing spoiled even), which makes it a click-fest to be able to read the whole thing.

Perhaps a better location for the content would be the BIKI, while discussion occurs over here? :D

Edited by Sickboy

Yes, getting all this to the Biki is next on my list. But not on a saturday.

And certainly not after how much Highland Park was imbided yesterday evening/monring.

:drinking2:

I also accept your point about spoilers, but walls of text are also not my friend :D

Best, RiE

Sounds sensible :)

Don't forget though - there's a whole community out there, some are quite happy to help a hand :)

Absolutely!

In fact, this is partly why I bumped updated the discuss post. I'd be happy to add new information to the sticky based on some discussion and consensus here, and also partly to validate what I'm claiming in the sticky post!

I really just see this as a basic starting point, as I think we've always been able to do a little more to unlock the mysteries of Real Virtuality.

That being said, we could go to each users PC, help set it up personally, and a day later they'd still find room for bother..

- as they happily encode a movie in the background while playing take on from an external 5400rpm HDD :p

The astounding potential and great tragedy of PC gaming is about user-end responsibility, I guess, I just hope to provide some basic framework to work up and out from! :)

Best,

RiE

Can we please get an "API" to develop more sensible FPS testing apps?

Ref: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=99125

Mac was very positive about TakOH and he would surely improve the app,

if you made it possible to interact better with the game itself. Thanks!

Sticky updated with new information

• VSync
  • Cloud Detail
  • HDR Quality
  • PiP Detail

I haven't yet touched upon PP Effects, as we continue to evaluate the changes and improvements we can make to this aspect of video settings configuration.

Perhaps any burning discussion regarding this is suitable here.

:uzi: motion blur

Can we please get an "API" to develop more sensible FPS testing apps?

Ref: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=99125

Perfectly sensible suggestion, as I say, I believe we can do more to enabled the player base, both experts and newbies...

Best,

RiE

Edited by RoyaltyinExile