Sign in to follow this  
katipo66

Battlefield 3 Simulator

Thought this was worthy of its own thread, would love to play Arma like this, good work out on the big maps, also not sure how they could simulate hills... very cool though.

http://youtu.be/g07jw0XvwFk

INFO:

Battlefield 3, one of the most highly

anticipated games of 2011 is yet to hit the shelves, but UK technology programme The Gadget Show, gained exclusive access to a pre-release level and hand-built a simulator to play it.

As part of a challenge for the new series of the show, presenters Jason Bradbury and Suzi Perry brought together a team of design experts and an amazing array of technology worth £500,000 ($650,000) to build this one-off creation.

Centred on the world's first, portable omni-directional treadmill (designed by Swedish company MSE Weibull) the simulator lets you control the movements of a Battlefield 3 character with your own body. Other key technology employed includes: 12 paintball markers that allow the player, in real time, to feel the enemy gunfire experienced in the game; a wireless gun system; ambient LED lighting; and an Xbox Kinect camera hack.

The idea for the simulator came in July this year when The Gadget Show realised that graphically-sophisticated games are held back only by the way many of us play them - sat in front of 1 static monitor. By projecting the game inside a 360-degree, 4 metre high and 9 metre wide video dome (provided by Igloo Vision) the gamers' experience is made as visceral and immersive as possible.

Ten infra-red motion tracking cameras continually monitor the real-time movements of the gamer on the omni-directional treadmill. This data is sent to the PC running Battlefield 3 to control the speed and direction of the in-game character.

The same cameras also track the direction in which the gamer points their wireless gun. Using this information the simulator can rotate the 180-degree projected gaming image around the dome to keep the gamer immersed in the action.

The immersive experience is completed by a pixel-mapped, ambient LED lighting system used to flood the dome with colours direct from the game; and a bespoke Kinect camera hack makes it possible for jumping and crouching in the dome to be replicated in the game.

Edited by Katipo66

Marines train in something like this while deployed in ships. At least, saw some videos about it. VBS also support somekind of this "simulator".

Marines train in something like this while deployed in ships. At least, saw some videos about it. VBS also support somekind of this "simulator".

Yea i think i remember some footage of those, they were just flat screens in booth's though, this looks to have some type of suit to simulate being shot? maybe some guys on the side with paint ball guns :)

Yeah, this is new:

Other key technology employed includes: 12 paintball markers that allow the player, in real time, to feel the enemy gunfire experienced in the game;

Not a good idea to play on those while playing something as fast paced as BF. Too many bruises :p

Why trainer/soldier always shouts a lot, when they have to keep silent from getting spotted? I mean, shouting for what? Fun? Epic?

With that "Machine" you can make a simulator even with MW3 or Postal 2 lol

Or Arma.

Edited by Katipo66

Only until you have to drive or fly.

I agree on that :)

Superman position on the ground using feet tilt censors.

Looks good, but A: its BF3 .. that's just simulating "run and gun on foot", and ... that video is annoying as its just in a trailer style and no watching of things at all.

So .... the same but using VBS/Arma2 (or 3) ... and a split screen video of screen and shots of playing over a 10 min game play situation using infiltration :)

I do not want to imagine how the whole standing on rolls thing would turn out with my usual beer level :blush:

Yeah, this is new:
Other key technology employed includes: 12 paintball markers that allow the player, in real time, to feel the enemy gunfire experienced in the game;

Not a good idea to play on those while playing something as fast paced as BF. Too many bruises :p

Getting flashbacks of this:

, another guy from our forums
:D

A bigger tech-nut could actually rig it up to a paintball marker that triggers everytime the player receives damage! Going more indepth you could even define some hitzones and make the marker "aim" at some predifined spots according to those ..... holy nutshot batman!

For ArmA purposes, an electric mouse would suffice :) gives you a belt when you get hit.

Just from a fitness point of view this would be cool. No more shite trips to the gym when you dont want to.

Just go and get in a firefight :p

I'm imagining in the future they could combine flight simulators, with driving sim with something like this all on one map...

Actually I've seen somewhere some guy had setup a racing game in his lounge, it was setup on some hydraulic system with a monitor bolted to the front? looked pretty cool... I'll try and find it later.

@shadow.d. My thoughts exactly :D

I'm imagining in the future they could combine flight simulators, with driving sim with something like this all on one map...

Actually I've seen somewhere some guy had setup a racing game in his lounge, it was setup on some hydraulic system with a monitor bolted to the front? looked pretty cool... I'll try and find it later.

@shadow.d. My thoughts exactly :D

Like this?

bsLb0ffpOII

Or the hardcore one?

oMLarxR-q08

Like this?

yep that's the one, that second one looks very cool but maybe can't fit in the lounge :mad:

Just from a fitness point of view this would be cool. No more shite trips to the gym when you dont want to.

Just go and get in a firefight :p

Hehe, yea and imagen an arma 2 domination game where all the vehicles are gone and next AO is five km away, just start running soldier :D . All arma 2 players would be extremly fit and all cod players would have bruises everywere because of all the kills :P .

hehe, yea and imagen an arma 2 domination game where all the vehicles are gone and next ao is five km away, just start running soldier :d . All arma 2 players would be extremly fit and all cod players would have bruises everywere because of all the kills :p .

lol :d

Mulltiplayer would be interesting, a whole new dynamic other than quick mouse button reflexes..