Sign in to follow this  
WrathPhoenix

Beta Feedback of TOH Beta to the dev's and a question for the Dev's

Well I have finally had the time to finish the TOH beta and I wanted to take a chance to go and give my (humble) opinion. A bit about me, I used to be a pilot for the civil air patrol but mostly fixed wing, only a few hours behind a rotary wing craft... I will try to make my points as concise as possible considering im, well... drunk. After a sort of "Ambush" drinking binge... long story. :)

1) TOH still shares some of the same issues that ARma 2 had. Make no mistake, im going to play the hell out of this game, but it is *EXTREMELY* non optimized graphically speaking. TOH is capable of displaying some FANtASTIC graphics... but considering the (Sigificant) power of my machine, i should be capable of displaying most of this at max or near max settings which doesnt seem the case (just like in Arma 2)... This is not a game changer for me but it should be looked into.

2) the pedal controls seem way off.. I do not like what seem to be a "Rubber band" effect when using those controls as I am getting some rubberband like "Snap back" when trying to turn precisely. This IS NOT a problem when in external view for whatever reason but it is for internal view...

3) Terran Detail: Overall great, but there seems to be a gap between what we see in the screenshots and in the beta. My assumption is we will see a few more models filling the blanks in the map for seattle. I am not a "Graphics whore" but things seem a little...flat... right now. Plus i KNOW ive seem some models in the screenshots that dont seem to appear in the same place in the beta (Specifically, a stadium model).

4) Descent due to collective? Ok I have piloted these things a few times in real life but to be honest I still prefer more arcade style controls just because a game for me is kind of an escape. This isnt about reality vs arcade though... my only comment is that there seems to be a significant "Bounce" effect that screws up descent occasionally... i kinda feel like a nerf football when im in a craft and descending due to reduced collective.

And finally the question:

Plain and simple... are there more enhancements, models, optimizions (In a SIGNIFICANT form) coming prior to release for the seattle map? I have a feeling its where im going to spend a lot of my time....

Beta features Seattle lite (25% of the full game ground objects).

It's well documented here that the ground effect is overpowered. Lets hope its fixed.

Unfortunately with the world of optimization one person figures out some how to make things run faster and 10 people want to add in some fancy new technology to slow it all down again.

Unfortunately with the world of optimization one person figures out some how to make things run faster and 10 people want to add in some fancy new technology to slow it all down again.

Yeah well, that's how I render too :p No matter how much the software is updated and optimized over the iterations, I keep upping my quality settings and/or scene contents to keep the render time way above my comfort zone :D

1) To me it seems that the TOH is way more optimised than Arma 2 and even OA when it came out. But my CPU is still a good one and the GPU does its job. The clouds on very high and RTT eat a lot of performance.

Yeah well, that's how I render too :p No matter how much the software is updated and optimized over the iterations, I keep upping my quality settings and/or scene contents to keep the render time way above my comfort zone :D

That seems to be typical for arma players then^^ Everytime BIS optimised something I turned my graphics up a bit so I'm still in roughly the same area fps wise as in summer '09 when I was fed up playing the A2 Demo (which had great fps on my rig and used HTT without giving me microstutter for some reason) and bought the game (actually I never had more than 20-30fps max at that time, this has changed :) ). I now play Arma 2 with 114% 3D render resolution in full HD and a VD of 4000m-10000m depending on what I do, with most of the settings set to high or very high (thank you BIS!) xD

I now play Arma 2 with 114% 3D render resolution in full HD and a VD of 4000m-10000m depending on what I do, with most of the settings set to high or very high (thank you BIS!) xD

Yeah, that's all good of course. But you might want to thank your hardware as well ;)

NTRUDER;2036616']Yeah' date=' that's all good of course. But you might want to thank your hardware as well ;)[/quote']

considering I had the same fps with way lower settings (less than 100% 3D res, 3k-4k VD, low-high) in arma 2 2009, I thank BIS. I didn't by the PC mainly for gaming but for photo and video editing so I went for a SSD instead of a GTX 295 and when I got Arma 2 it just happened to be a fortunate decision.