Sign in to follow this  
JuggernautOfWar

City Building/Management Game

Other than SimCity4 (played the hell outa that game back in the day) what are some recommendable recent city management/building games? So many of them seem overly simple with stripped down features. Preferably something with such control where you can design your own infrastructure like roads and railroads. Would be so cool to make a huge cloverleaf interchange from scratch instead of just clicking a preset "cloverleaf" button to snap one into place.

Any thoughts?

The only other game that I can think of is Cities XL. The biggest difference between SimCity and Cities XL is that the residential zones are based on social class, not by how much the area is valued (via parks and such). I tend to like the SimCity way here. But what is really an improvement over SimCity is the infrastructure. You can pretty much make any shape or form with both roads and railroads. You're also very reliable on products such as oil, power, water, consumer products, etc. You can either create it yourself, or you can get it from other cities or the "HQ".

I think it's a good game, but it's not SimCity. ;)

BTW, have you ever tried the mod Network Addon Mod (NAM) for SimCity 4?

Edited by colossus

I've heard about simcity for years.

What is it? Basically a tool for city planners to design cities?

It doesn't really sound like a video game.

Hmm, looked at the wikipedia page.

Seems like it would be an unusual choice of video game for

many kids.

But that's not a bad thing. It is probably more

intellectually stimulating than all the kids playing doom

or whatever.

I give it a thumbs up!

Hmm, looked at the wikipedia page.

Seems like it would be an unusual choice of video game for

many kids.

But that's not a bad thing. It is probably more

intellectually stimulating than all the kids playing doom

or whatever.

I give it a thumbs up!

These management type games have their own charms :) Sim City was perhaps the sweet spot as far as appeal goes, but the broader scoped Civilization was also compelling, but there were also other smaller scale games like theme parks, hospitals, even a dungeon :) I guess their common theme was emergent gameplay. As in, you solved and created problems your own way, there was not any "correct" solution.

So what's your favorite game in this genre specifically?

No real favorites. They all got their good and bad sides. Except for SimCity Societies, which is just downright heresy. :p

Also, you should also take a look at Tropico 4. It's not as complex, but it falls in to the same genre. A demo can be found here. I wasn't able to find a demo of Cities XL 2011 though.

These management type games have their own charms :) Sim City was perhaps the sweet spot as far as appeal goes, but the broader scoped Civilization was also compelling, but there were also other smaller scale games like theme parks, hospitals, even a dungeon :) I guess their common theme was emergent gameplay. As in, you solved and created problems your own way, there was not any "correct" solution.

That's pretty cool.

I would rather that my kids play a game like this instead of some game

where you mindlessly mow down a bunch of ugly monsters.

That's pretty cool.

I would rather that my kids play a game like this instead of some game

where you mindlessly mow down a bunch of ugly monsters.

Definitely. Any game that gets kids thinking creatively while enjoying themselves is a positive thing, and the Sim City games and similar titles are definitely great in this respect. :)

Any game that gets ANYONE thinking creatively while enjoying themselves is a positive thing. :p

I'd recommend maybe taking a look at Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis . Not a city building game but has quite a bit of management from what I remember.

I remember playing sim city 3000 in highschool. If the weather was shit and we didnt want to go outside during dinner time. The geography teacher would let a few of us play. It was an "educational" game.... :p

I agree, educational games should be encouraged as long as

they are realistic and help with real world understanding and

thinking ability.

Games like that one where you go around and slicing peoples

throats and stabbing people and strangling people should

be discouraged. Especially for young people or kids.

I was taught young to learn and do "good" things that will

better society, not harmful things like frying ants and setting

things on fire. Although setting fires can be fun, that should

only be done when you actually need to burn something such

as bank statements or income tax returns, not

just for sheer amusement.

Cities XL 2012 is about to be released in october. If you're going to take a look into it might as well wait a month or so...

I was beta tester for the first instalment of these new series, it was slightly enjoyable, some good pluses on graphics (though the cartoon look of characters was ridicule). If you are looking for transports it is the most flexible there is, you will have trading between cities (something Simcity fanatics always wnated). Management wise it was near Simcity, I never appreciated it as much.

Maybe this new version might worth a look even for me. It is the 2nd instalment since the Cities XL beta I tried), long time I don't check forums to get the feeling of the community about 2011 version...

these bookmarks might guide you (forums):

http://www.generation-city.com/citiesxl/ (this one is in french)

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/

Edited by gammadust

I know it's not modern cities but I enjoy Tropico 3, and probably should buy Tropico 4.

I like simcity 2000-3000 better, I am not sure about 4 through, it sure have a lots of improvement over 3000, but It somehow lacks that feel of the old one(maybe its because the art direction they take) and its a crash fest for almost all people. Cities XL is a different thing, it did some part very well. but lacks totally in other parts.

Myke;2036117']To throw in some ideas my son (5yrs next month) actually loves to play: Anno series (Dawn of Discovery is english name me thinks) and Rollercoaster Tycoon 3.

IMHO both worth a closer look.

I still enjoy Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 myself... you can make some awesome rides in it.

I know it's not modern cities but I enjoy Tropico 3' date=' and probably should buy Tropico 4.[/quote']

Another good series. I've been playing a little Tropico 4 lately as well.