Maio

Arma 3: Community wishes & ideas- DISCUSSION

A little bit slow but finally you got the picture...

MW3 visually looks like a modern world war Michael Bay action flick.

corrected. ;)

A little bit slow but finally you got the picture...

corrected. ;)

So what's your idea of what ww3 would look like? Everything in perfect condition, looking pretty for the opposing sides to stare at? Is it some utopia where bombs don't drop and buildings are indestructible? I'm sorry war isn't pretty. I'm sorry that places touched by war look different than they do in peacetime. Shit gets destroyed. I never mentioned MW3's hollywood explosion fest or storyline. But shit gets fucked up in war, and MW3 s shows that. So does BF3 with the Frostbite engine. I'm sorry that you equate destruction with hollywood. You scream realism, yet when someone brings up a realistic feature that ISN'T in ArmA, you immediately flame and criticize, like you're offended that someone doesn't think your precious game is perfect. ArmA is supposed to be a simulator. Having a lot of controls and functionality is not simulation. If it simulates war then it should LOOK like it. If you're so concerned with features making the game like MW3, then maybe BIS should remove everything that also appears in the COD games. So many of the rifles, the vehicles, etc. Would that stop the trolling MW3 comments?

@CORVINUS wishlist post

The MRAP from KAMAZ has distopian future crowd control writen all over it :D

I can see the sides dropping down and troops pouring out of it, sort of like what was featured in the movie I, Robot.

His post #2 & 3 aren't bad either. Good future tech!

Thank you for your kind posts, gentlemen. As for KAMAZ truck - yes, I prefer it to the Ural one and find it very futuristic, GITS-level futuristic.

Edited by Corvinus

Where the populace went about their daily lives and reacted to the events around them as needed. The Chernarus Electrical Grid http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10676 is an example of something that can be included in game to improve the immersion and life like feel of the game.

I would love to see the ambience modules we use in MSO an integral part of Arma3. We've already got all the code that dev's like Tupolov (Ambient Air and Sea traffic) and LoyalGuard (Arma Electrical Grids) have created. With the BIS Module Improvement Project, we have performance tuned Ambient Civilans and traffic (throw in some armed Shepherds and wild dog packs for good measure). Its all there, just wish BIS could make it part of vanilla.

Edited by Wolffy.au

I'm not really sure whether I should post this here, since it is about the "ArmA 3: Community wishes & ideas|NO DISCUSSION", but no discussion is allowed there so I came here.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some kind of thumbs up/thumbs down system for the ArmA 3: Community wishes & ideas|NO DISCUSSION thread? At the moment it is just a plain list of features we would like. If we want to vote about some wish or idea we have to start a new topic (and we don't want that, the "wishes & ideas thread is there for good reasons).

If this would be done, a BI dev (provided they even look at it :D) would be able to see very quickly what features are wanted the most by the community.

To be honest: I'm not really into the technical aspects of forums so I don't know if this can be implemented. I was thinking about starting 1 new thread, in which you can post your votes for wishes and ideas posted in the "Community wishes & ideas|NO DISCUSSION" thread. The first post with the list there can then be updated accordingly.

I'm not really sure whether I should post this here, since it is about the "ArmA 3: Community wishes & ideas|NO DISCUSSION", but no discussion is allowed there so I came here.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some kind of thumbs up/thumbs down system for the ArmA 3: Community wishes & ideas|NO DISCUSSION thread? At the moment it is just a plain list of features we would like. If we want to vote about some wish or idea we have to start a new topic (and we don't want that, the "wishes & ideas thread is there for good reasons).

If this would be done, a BI dev (provided they even look at it :D) would be able to see very quickly what features are wanted the most by the community.

To be honest: I'm not really into the technical aspects of forums so I don't know if this can be implemented. I was thinking about starting 1 new thread, in which you can post your votes for wishes and ideas posted in the "Community wishes & ideas|NO DISCUSSION" thread. The first post with the list there can then be updated accordingly.

Right here, if people would use it:

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/a3-cit/issues

So what's your idea of what ww3 would look like?

Tsar_photo11.jpg

250px-Castle_Bravo_Blast.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSN_PiXmbz4MM-JWGvmap3de7roG4f8VENy_fUH7Fc4pUVU5NJO

That descriptive enough? :yay:

“ I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.â€

-- Albert Einstein

Edited by Oktyabr
Sorry! Fixed.

Yeah, but then how would that equate to ArmA 3? We're certainly not going to see a nuked Limnos or Europe. So, relating to ArmA3, what's your idea of WW3, or a general big war in which Europe falls? For 14 years, from 2021 to 2035, NATO gets battered and beaten. If Iran is beating NATO, I'd think they wouldn't fight the war in their country but would push through Europe, the only way to nearly defeat NATO. In this scenario, do you not think the Iranians would destroy NATO military installations, which would be the installations of NATO's member nations? And do you think that Iran would destroy the installations alone and leave their enemies to rebuild? No, they would make sure to break not only the strength of their enemies but the morale of the soldiers and populace of those nations as well. Europe would be battered. In 2025, Iran invades Limnos, most likely as a part of their larger invasion of Europe. They would apply this same principle to Limnos. Destroy the infrastructure, the Greek and US military installations there, and crush the morale of the soldiers and the population. The towns would not be intact. There would be infrastructure that did not get damaged. But at the same time there would be a lot of destroyed buildings from the bombing campaign that Iran would undoubtedly have initiated. Clearly, no nukes have been dropped by this time, as that would be a clear point to make in the timeline. So Iran would conduct bombing operations to wear down and destroy key enemy targets. This is my point. It's not to look like another game. I'm using MW3 as an example because it is the most recent media product to depict what I'm talking about.

@RobertHammer: The island is defended by the 27th Marine Expeditionary Unit and, realistically, the Hellenic Army's Supreme Military Command of Interior and Islands (ASDEN) who provide the defense of the North Aegean islands (which include Limnos), would not surrender the island. They would defend the island, and ultimately lose.

Wall of text.

Well, you have to take into account Arma 3 is a speculative future. Maybe there's a missile shield up and running. Although, another Nuke like that one in the Echo Whiskey campaign would be a cool plot twist :rolleyes:

Well, you have to take into account Arma 3 is a speculative future. Maybe there's a missile shield up and running. Although, another Nuke like that one in the Echo Whiskey campaign would be a cool plot twist :rolleyes:

But that wouldn't stop bombs though. Would it?

But that wouldn't stop bombs though. Would it?

Depends on method of delivery.

Like if Iranian bombers flew over Limnos and just dropped bombs (freefall)?

Assuming there are no AA defences set up and no fighter protection present... I'd say Lemnos is boned.

Assuming there are no AA defences set up and no fighter protection present... I'd say Lemnos is boned.

Hey, OnlyRazor, here's my reply to PuFu's inflammatory post in another thread. In it, I quote the information from the ArmA3 website that confirms my assumptions about Limnos and the war between Iran (with some other Eastern powers) and NATO:http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=2057689&postcount=30

Basically, here's the two quotes with bolded info:

STRAIGHT FROM THE ARMA3 WEBSITE

LIMNOS

Introduction

Your area of operation is the island of Limnos, once an important Greek air force base in the Mediterranean, now a remote hostile territory deep behind enemy lines. Still partially inhabited by a fraction of the original Greek populace and refugees from the Eastern Mediterranean, the island bears many scars from the fierce battles between NATO and the invading Iranian troops in 2025. The large airfield and the adjacent military base now serves as a basis for a fairly large Iranian force servicing the objective Omega.

OVERVIEW

Storyline

After years of intense warfare against Eastern armies, Europe has become the last stand for the battered NATO forces. On the verge of being driven into the sea, NATO command embarks upon a most desperate measure. In the hope of seizing what seems to be a well-guarded military secret, Operation Magnitude is launched.

And this info definitely suggests if not confirms that it's WW3. :) It really sounds like it's on the scale of MW3 if not bigger. Since Europe is the battleground of the war (clearly, since Limnos is DEEP behind enemy lines, since Europe's the LAST STAND for NATO, and since NATO is on the verge of being DRIVEN INTO THE SEA). Yeah, no doubt cities should be battered in Europe. And Limnos bears MANY SCARS from fierce battles on the island. The campaign should show those scars. There should be destroyed buildings and stuff.

Edited by antoineflemming

And this info definitely suggests if not confirms that it's WW3

Yeah taking into account the long list of member countries that make up NATO and considering the military alliances some of them have with countries like Australia for example, I think it's fair to deduce that it would be defined as WW3.

antoineflemming relax and wait till "its done"!

The A3 campaign is set in 07/2035 - 10 years after Iranian Forces invaded Limnos. Enough time to restore vital + important structures and to build new defensive positions/fortifications or even (re-)build military production line/R&D....

Now the storyline so far

After years of intense warfare against Eastern armies, Europe has become the last stand for the battered NATO forces. On the verge of being driven into the sea, NATO command embarks upon a most desperate measure. In the hope of seizing what seems to be a well-guarded military secret, Operation Magnitude is launched.

A small group of Special Forces and Researchers are sent to a Mediterranean island deep behind enemy lines. However, the mission is compromised and the task force destroyed, leaving Cpt. Scott Miller washed ashore upon the hostile island. In his effort to carry out the mission, he will face the dangers of modern warfare, an unforgiving environment, and the consequences of his own decisions…

So one could imagine that there must be something very important to find or its just another suicide mission to distract/slow down the enemy....

The A3 campaign is set in 07/2035 - 10 years after Iranian Forces invaded Limnos. Enough time to restore vital + important structures and to build new defensive positions/fortifications or even (re-)build military production line/R&D...

The official website states that the basic infrastructure on Limnos is mostly decayed due to combat damage and no maintenance. Electricity, intact sewage systems and drinking water distribution is only available in Myrina.

... and for those that think NATO is as strong as it once was, think again. Even now, the removal of ABM's is being debated, while other member states are reconsidering their positions within NATO as the economic crisis sweeps across the globe. It all sounds like a great plot for a book, but it's real life. Russia wants it's satellite countries back, etc. In other words, a NATO of the future may not be a very large force.