Official winter map for Arma3, and ya'll know those rabid DayZ fanatics would love a zombiefest in the snow.
Official winter map for Arma3, and ya'll know those rabid DayZ fanatics would love a zombiefest in the snow.
I would like to see Steyr IWS 2000 antimateriel rifle in game , some prototypes were built , it never made it to mass production but stayed in development and
since we will have comanche helicopters flying around i belive it fits well in the ArmA 3 concept.
- commonly used commands like "get back in" where the AI teammates would then get back into the last vehicle they'd exited. for when you dismount them to cover a manuever and then remount to keep moving.
- AI shouldn't go running into spinning helicopter blades and in front of moving vehicles.
- i know it might not seem realistic but actually having arcs of fire superimposed on the gameworld when ordering squad members to observe a location really makes sense. arcs of vision maybe. and add a system where squad members can be ordered to observe multiple positions i.e. shift focus between a number of different positions. this should work effectively regardless of whether the squad member is static or moving. each time i hold "alt" to and hover the highlighted menu selection over the "watch that" command i'd like to see the superimposed arcs of fire for whatever those squad members are currently ordered to watch. also i'd say let the "watch that" command have an effective life of 5 minutes from the last enemy known position [see my above post about ordering targets by their recent locations] within the area that particular unit is set to watch, after which the unit will return to default awareness and report "unit ______ done watching waiting for orders".
- i find positioning of AI squadmembers in ARMA 2 slightly counterintuitive. i feel like if a squad member can see my location clearly he should move to exactly where i point i.e. if the unit i am ordering has line-of-sight to both me and the spot i am ordering them too, they should end up very close to that spot. especially for CQB this is important. also, a "move directly to" command would be very helpful. this "move directly to" command would trigger the ordered unit(s) to sprint as fast as possible to the point along the shortest available path. having this extra command separate from the normal "move to" command along with the above-mentioned mechanism for controlling where individual units are observing will make CQB in ARMA a lot more intuitive.
I post this after spending 15 minutes trying to get my unit to sprint across a small dangerzone whilst i drew fire from an enemy APC. the unit would not move directly and got killed almost every time.
- got to be a default keybinding to adjust night vision sensitivity and i'm sure the newer NVG with built in thermals works much better than the ones in ARMA 2 i.e. in ARMA 2 a bright moon reflecting off a cloudy night sky can offset the NVG sensitivity exposing the sky correctly but underexposing the ground
---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------
- any attempts to make AI more intuitive [particularly programming that will focus on avoiding harm to the AI itself and to it's teammates through its decisions] and "human" will be very well received for example I think coding in a trigger that friendly AI ordered to hold fire will break that order if they become aware of an enemy infantryman within 150 meters of them who is actively targeting them or one of their team-mates.
Don't forget to protect any innovative AI coding with intellectual property law
Last edited by Foxhound; Aug 10 2012 at 09:28. Reason: spamming, double/tripple posting
Core i7 920 @ 3.995 GHz, HT off
12 GB OCZ DDR3-1600
Galaxy GTX 680 (light overclock)
Samsung 830 Series 256 GB SSD
Windows 7 Pro x64
1920x1080 w/ View Distance at ~3600
Video Memory at Default
MSAA Very High, AToC=0, SMAA Ultra
Post Processing at Very Low
All other settings at Very High
Being able to vault over walls and other objects. Such as high porches ect. Current stamina, and weight of carried gear comes into effect of vaulting walls that are 5 feet to 6 feet tall. This is a much needed feature in the game as it is used constantly already in war and can change a bad situation quickly.
ArmA3-Forum: IDEEN & WÜNSCHE
For ArmA3 or coming AddOns
FRACTIONS & UNITS:
Mountaineer with horses / mules for carrying equipment and ride.
Horses, also used for riding, with a correspondingly diverse animations (bearings by RED DEAD REDEMPTION)
Bell OH-58D Kiowa Warrior
Vegetation and realistic physics environment (supported by PhysX?)
- NO grass which flips over 2 meters wide in touch
- Trees / "grass" on blasts (explosions / helicopter exhaust) reactive
- Shrubs that respond to touch
- Extensive melee and climbing animations
- Significantly improved representation of faces (eyes, animation, skin, etc.) and animations (already implemented as partially seen in trailers)
MODDING & TOOLS:
All in one easily accessible modding tool, similar CryEngine3/UnrealEngine3 SDK (LOL, only a dream)
- Modeling of caves terraforming tool
- (but probably not work with this engine)
- Snowmobile and trailer for equipment (hoped for realistic snow / mountain scenario)
RIFLES (ALL CATEGORIES):
- immersion sake, code in an animation trigger which causes friendly squad members to lower their weapons when a friendly passes into their fire zone and then another conditional triggering the squad member to relocate if the friendly stays in their fire zone for over 2 seconds whilst the squad is engaging
- code in a conditional which dissuades AI from doing anything which causes them harm. if you order AI squadmembres to do something really dangerous like ordering a rifleman to move into the line of fire of an enemy tank they should respond with a "negative. that's suicide." or similar.
- if there is a situation where friendly squadmember AI is fired upon whilst set to "safe" level of awareness i.e. are caught in a surprise attack they should be triggered to switch to crouch/prone position depending on the intensity of the incoming fire. a helpful tool for conditional coded responses to attacks would be to have a system where each incoming projectile [landing/passing within 3 meters of member] has an assigned "attack intensity" value and the sum of those values per 2 seconds determines (or helps determine) the response of the AI under attack. then there would also be an overriding response which is triggered if the attack intensity score exceeds a certain upper parameter per 0.5/1 second i.e. if it is an overwhelming surprise attack squad members will immediately go prone and start throwing smoke or any other diversions they may have. i'd say structure like this;
[one overarching conditional would be that machinegunners will always automatically move to a covered prone firing position if possible]
cover would also be ranked as 1.1 - immediate hardpoint [within 2 meters of current location], 1.2 - moderate hardpoint [within 2.1 - 6 meters of current location], 1.3 - available hardpoint [6.1 - 12 meters], 1.4 - distant hardpoint [12 - 15 meters]. then continuing with 2.1 - immediate softpoint e.t.c. conditionals specifying a move to a level of cover will automatically include all cover levels below that level i.e. an order to 1.2 cover will trigger an order to 1.1 cover aswell. 1.1 cover is always favored over 1.2. cover e.t.c.
1 - low intensity attack/distant rounds heard/sporadic and ineffective (landing over 5 meters away) incoming rounds - move to 1.4 cover and return fire from whatever posture is best
2 - mild intensity attack - lower to crouch position, move to 1.3 cover yes move to cover else if enemy spotted fire on enemy else prepare to pop smoke in direction of incoming fire and tell squad leader "unit 2 ready to pop smoke" and keep observing in and around direction of incoming fire. [you also need to code in a system where the AI can hear where the enemy is.]
3 - moderate attack - lower to prone position, move to 1.2 cover and return fire from crouched position if possible, if no cover return to crouch position and return fire. wait for squad leaders orders.
4 - strong attack - lower to prone position, pop smoke in direction of incoming fire taking into account wind, crawl to 2.2 cover and return fire from prone position if possible. crawl to 1.2 cover if available and return fire from there else if no 2.2 cover return fire from prone position whilst attempting. wait for squad leaders orders.
5 - overwhelming attack - drop to prone, throw smoke, return fire whilst attempting to move to any hardcover.
just my 2 cents. after watching the trailers again i am struck again by how good the game looks. thank you guys so much.
- there has also got to be better AI enemy spotting from AI in passenger positions in vehicles and civilians/friendlies should move out of the vehicles path when honked at.
- add an "escort vehicle" command for infantry with its own formation i.e. 1 man to the front of the vehicle, 1 man on the rear left corner of the vehicle, covering the front left quadrant, 1 man on the rear right corner of the vehicle covering the front right quadrant e.t.c. for when moving a vehicle through a dangerzone [forested/built-up/ambush-likely area.] you could code AI to adopt this position automatically when moving through such a zone.
remember to protect any AI coding you do under intellectual property law.
In ARMA 2 it is difficult to tell friendly squad members exactly where to observe. This should be fixed as it is a major functional issue. There should also be a "cover that unit" command where the overwatching unit will observe and engage around the unit that it is covering. "Cover me" should also be a command.
i think there should be a jump function. people do jump in combat sometimes. and the "step over" function is too slow and should be better integrate i.e. if you push "z" whilst stepping over you should drop down into prone on the other side facing which ever way you were facing when you pressed "z" and if you double tap "w" whilst stepping over you should immediately spring into a sprint. the movement and AI in arma 2 basically makes close quarter combat in any built up area unrealistic and slow.
that being said i am NOT a programmer (yet) and my limited knowledge of programming allows me to look at ARMA 2 and see how many things have been implemented in code which i wouldn't even know how to make a framework to begin to code.
- in ARMA 2 i have a lot of difficulty getting friendly units to disengage. it seems like the "disengage" order does nothing. they roger, and then reengage automatically.
- above a certain velocity, projectiles leave a vapor trail which is exaggerated in rainy conditions.
- add a "diversionary fire" command which would cause AI to fire into the air or whatever they can do to attract enemy attention.
- for realism sake, targets should have 4 rankings in the target menu (default button "2"), illustrated by color. 1 - red - known position, line of sight position. 2 - orange - recent position (last known to be there pup to 10 seconds previously). 3 - blue - last known position (last known to be there 10.1 to 30 seconds previously) and 4 - grey- old position (last known to be there 30.1 - 60 seconds previously) after 60 seconds the target should disappear from the target menu. the state of "known" includes the following;
1 - stationary, unmanned vehicles/weapons
2 - vehicles/weapons that are damaged/fixed in a way that prevents them being moved
3 - any distinctive, informative sound (based on distance) eg rifle vs machine gun vs launcher e.t.c. depending on your difficulty level should have detailed, expert information such as the exact rifle etc. less information should be retained as the difficulty level increases i.e. the more experience the player is the more he/she should be expected to remember about the target.
4 - etc.
- AI must automatically scatter from grenades that enter their proximity through their line of sight and have a conditional if possible to get hardcover between them and the nade else to move as far away as possible.
- i have been playing ARMA 2 without the "hold right click" zoom/focus function for 6 months now and it is a totally different game. please get rid of that focus/zoom function. it takes all the realism you have worked on and ruins it. also the way there is a slight zoom when aiming down ironsights.
- Squad AI reporting such as "enemy man way left of us" when in open areas is ludicrous. should be "enemy man 300 meters south south east of us". proper descriptions.
- you could add data about civilian alignment e.g. "civilians known to have radio and be allied to hostiles" means that civilians will relay any infomation they get about you to hostiles and the best way to deal with this is to cover their house with a squad and destroy their radio at gunpoint, or if necessary destroy the building the radio may be in. should also be able to see civvies with cellphones/walkie-talkies.
- no more stopping to change weapon. changing weapon should take a realistic amount of time and doing so whilst sprinting should incur a 35% chance of dropping one of the weapons i.e. the chance of dropping both would be 8% of 8% i.e. 0.64%.
- ability to move smaller objects i.e. to create a better sniping position on a rooftop you might drag a crate over to the side.
- gotta have AI commands like "scout to that position" where AI would then move to specified position highly alert and observing all around them and will report enemy locations and withdraw. ROE return fire only AND withdraw back to leader upon spotting enemy.
- NPC blinking as well as eyes changing focus point without head being turned will add realism too
*** 22 July 2012 1am revision 1.1 level cover revised from hardpoint within 3 meters of infantry unit to hardpoint within 2 meters of infantry unit ***
Last edited by mistermdg; Jul 21 2012 at 23:52.
you should see your own shoulders in freelook-mode while you are in 1st person
Last edited by thetoiletman; Jul 20 2012 at 02:06.
- friendly AI squadmembers not hit trees/obstacles with AA and AT weapons
- the team leader should be able to tell each squad member which position of the squad formation to take and which quadrants to observe whilst the squad is moving
---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------
- vehicles should not automatically brake when the engine is turned off i.e. you should be able to freewheel down a hill with the engine off. or at least this should be simulated accurately according to the vehicles design. i know for all regular internal combustion engine vehicles there is no engine braking when the engine is off and the vehicle is in neutral. i think "engine off. gear neutral" should replace "turn engine off" in the command menu.
---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------
- freelook cam (default keybinding "2 x left Alt") should be automatically engaged when entering a vehicle.
---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------
- a command for "jump to ground on left" and "jump to ground on right" should be added. like rolling to the left or right in prone except for crouched and standing postures.
I Really want to see this game almost full blown Role play capabilities but you guys can keep the game as a military simulator but have the option for people that create gamemodes to be able to create something totally opposite with tons of other stuff they can use to create like a real life simulator, demo derby, aircraft simulator and all that.
-Definitely Add in Day Z( If not you will miss out on the opportunity for extra profit gain ).
-Role Play Capabilities for game-mode creators if they want to take it to a different level instead of full blown shooting or anything military related maybe a simulation life.
-Abilities to fix vehicle from tires mounted on the vehicles, refuel vehicle with the fuel canisters on the vehicle.. anything that is car part related that is mounted on vehicle should be able to use for repairing vehicle on the road.
-Optional option for gamemode creator to enable buying/selling system for the houses, buildings, and add in door locks and all that can't be a Life simulator without the components of real life also be able to buy food/drinks and supplies needed from stores and ability to trade with other players.
-if you go role play make sure you add in every possible thing that players or creators will need such as emergency services are fully operational should be something in game that could be added like if you on the side of the road and your car catches fire and you call emergency services the fire department and ambulance will be on scene within 5 or 10 minutes away also depending how far Fire Stations and Hospitals are.
-Definitely fix any sort of lag that will get involved in online play make it easier for mission creators to be able to make their mission lag free when they run almost everything on it such as pedestrians, animals, sell/buy, emergency services, and all those items.
-Also make your vehicles feel more realistic in handling as I can see in your video it seems realistic but I want to be able to see the suspension moving up and down, brake rotors glowing red after stopping from high speeds, vehicle sliding after losing control if they are going to fast around corners I want the vehicles to have characteristics as well and not all share the same common feel you know like I want it feel like I was driving in Forza 4 on Xbox 360 or playing Motorm4x on PC for offroad I want to feel and hear everything. Like I want to be able to hear the gravel getting chewed up by the tires as the car rides over them, I want to hear rocks knicking the under belly of the car, also see rocks flying from another vehicle in front of my car hitting my windshield and hood and etc. I want it feel like I was actually driving in real life.
-Make sure when you fly into air make sure that is realistic as possible when you turn in the plane to fast you'll be on the verge of passing out, or when bullet goes through the windshield of another plane actually kills the player depending on bullet size.
-I want the boats to be sinkable like if somebody shoots the boat from underneath it'll make a hole in the boat and the boat will sink slowly into the water depending on how big the hole is I want the vehicles to have its destruction system.
-I want to see buildings fall down realistically depends what sort of damage it took. Like if a tank drives through the building the walls will collapsed sort of similar to what you would see in real life and battlefield 3 and if the tank does enough damage inside to take the building supports out the building will fall and also will fall differently and not fall the same way always like sort of a building rag doll.
- Thats all I can think of for now as my wish and stuff I REALLY would love to see in ArmA 3.