Sign in to follow this  
sil3nst

Arma 2: Free - game freezes when trying to join a MP game

I am currently having a strange issue with Arma 2 Free. inb4 must be a hardware/driver problem, the game runs fine single player and everything. When I go to multiplayer and try to join a server, the game just freezes and I have to ctrl+alt+del out and close the not responding Arma 2 Free. Everything works great until the instant I double click on any server I want to join, and I have tried many, the game just totally freezes (but I can still move the cursor around)

Please, any help or ideas would be appreciate, I have no clue what the problem could be.

Edited by Foxhound
title changed

I am currently having a strange issue with Arma 2 Free. inb4 must be a hardware/driver problem, the game runs fine single player and everything. When I go to multiplayer and try to join a server, the game just freezes and I have to ctrl+alt+del out and close the not responding Arma 2 Free. Everything works great until the instant I double click on any server I want to join, and I have tried many, the game just totally freezes (but I can still move the cursor around)

Please, any help or ideas would be appreciate, I have no clue what the problem could be.

Firewall settings?

Firewall settings?

Arma 2 Free is allowed in Windows 7 firewall.

Welcome :)

Please note the rules:

§22) Use descriptive thread titles

If you start a new thread, please make sure your thread title explains what you want without forcing people to read through your post first. Thread titles such as "How in the world do I...", "Need help!" or "Will we ever see..." are anything but descriptive. We do not allow these kind of titles and threads with such titles are subject to be closed.

Since you are new here I changed it for you but next time please spend a little time yourself making a proper topic title!

Welcome :)

Please note the rules:

Since you are new here I changed it for you but next time please spend a little time yourself making a proper topic title!

I can see that you are not in any way interested in helping with my problem....

---------- Post added at 02:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

AGAIN

Please help me solve this problem. I am interested in buying arma 2 but if I can't even get the play4free demo then whats the point? SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEYRE TALKING ABOUT, NOT SOME CAREFREE RULE NAZI, PLEASE HELP ME.

1. Try disabling the firewall and any antivirus software completely, see if that helps.

2. Stop being such a dick.

Like I said before, it is completely allowed in windows firewall. It works fine except when I try to join a server, then the game just freezes. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off as belligerent, it's just this faggot came along like "yeah I don't care, should have titled your thread something more relevant." Whatever dude, too late. I just wanna get this game working and I might consider buying it.

---------- Post added at 03:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 AM ----------

Will I have to post multiple threads under multiple accounts to get an answer (because I will, please appreciate my willingness to play this game because with any other I would have given up)? Please tell me why it freezes right when I try to join a server. Might it be a problem with your proprietary battleye service? I just don't understand this. I play so many other games but only this one locks up.. It is excepted in my firewall, everything is a o.k. network and hardware wise. So why does it freeze when I try to join a server? It works good on my laptop, which is running windows xp, but not on my desktop here which is running win7 sp1.

Dude I have tried everything such as that. I'm at wits end here, which is why I have come to you. If you can't help me with this... well then, better uninstall and never bother with a bohemia game again. The customer is always right, right? Well, this time I don't know if I'm wrong and I need help. Please make some effort to help me and STOP PATRONIZING ME. I have made my problem clear, lets skip these silly semantics. Please, I really want to play this on my new pc.

Can you provide the complete hardware specs of your computer, including motherboard and NIC?

Also, which antivirus program do you use?

Not sure why you think you can call me a nazi but anyway, I am going to make sure I live up to your expectations.

Here is another rule for you to get to know while you post on these forums:

§12) Do not type in all capital letters, all bold, or in a non-black font

Typing in all caps equates (according to standard net etiquette) to yelling. It is also difficult and obnoxious to read such posts. This also applies to posting all in bold or all in a certain font colour just to try to make your words stand out, if your point is interesting enough or well written enough it will stand out. You're welcome of course to use different colours for parts of your post if it helps clarify certain areas, but typing complete messages in any colour other than black should be avoided.

Now, stop acting like a little kiddie who was refused a cookie and reply to those users who offer you any help in a normal, adult and polite way. Even when what they asked you you already tried. If thats the case say so and tell what the result was.

They are trying to help you in case you haven't noticed that yet.

Might be a router problem, if you have a seperate modem try connecting your pc directly to the modem, without the router in between.

Otherwise try upgrading router firmware, and confirm no special 'protection' is enabled, and large fragmented packets are allowed (usually used for games), not sure if arma is affected by it though.

Lastly, people often have multiple security softwares installed, perhaps you have other software that functions as firewall, or security sandbox etc, all can lead to undesired effects :)

Sometimes uninstalling such software is the only workaround, often upgrading to the latest version helps too, and obviously allowing / excluding the game.

Also make sure you have all the latest game patches, and windows updates.

Edited by Sickboy

Thanks for the help, foxhound. You know you're being a rule nazi.

Sure maddog, but I'm positive its not a hardware problem as I can run the game smoothly in single player. Its a dell optiplex so intel motherboard, dual core processor 3.8, ati radeon hd6570 2049 video mem., 4 gb ram. No antivirus program, just windows firewall/windows defender. I only use this pc for online gaming thats why I dont use an addition firewall or av since they can cause so many problems.

Sickboy I do not use a router, pc is connected directly to cable internet modem.

Anyway thanks for asking me these questions, but I assure you I have taken all the measures I know how to do. Still no cigar. :( Just freezes at joining a server, no error messages, nothing, just stops responding and I have to exit out the hard way.

Anyway thanks for asking me these questions, but I assure you I have taken all the measures I know how to do. Still no cigar. :( Just freezes at joining a server, no error messages, nothing, just stops responding and I have to exit out the hard way.

Looks bad then, mate. 99% of the time when someone experiences freezing on connection to a server it's either their firewall or their router causing trouble. I see now why you are reluctant to disable your Windows firewall completely, as you aren't protected by a router, but it's not ideal.

Unfortunately, there is no magical solution to your problem, no in-game setting and no config tweak to solve this. We could start going through all kinds of steps to troubleshoot your problem, but something tells me you don't have the patience for that. Not to mention that you're still acting like a dick, so I'm reluctant to waste my time trying to help you. Good luck figuring it out.

Thanks for the help, foxhound. You know you're being a rule nazi.

It really strikes me how you insist on throwing insults at me. Now, let me be straight that I am in no way impressed by your behaviour. Your only doing yourself a bad service.

And, since you seem to be reluctant to read the forum rules yourself and to start posting accordingly I will quote yet another rule for you here:

§1) No Flaming/Flame-baiting/bigotry

Abusive, racist, sexist, homophobic comments (or any other type of bigotry), personal attacks and name calling are not allowed either on the forum or through PM's. If you receive a PM that is abusive or you find offensive please forward it to a moderator who will investigate.

Flame-baiting is also not tolerated; flame-baiting is making a post to someone that is obviously intended to elicit an angry response. Mocking/teasing/ridiculing someone or the point someone wants to make is also flamebaiting. This also applies to other areas of the forums such as leaving visitor messages on people's profiles, messages posted in social groups, as well as quoting someone against their wishes in your signature to belittle/tease/mock them. If someone asks you to remove something they posted on the forum from your signature you must remove it. Common sense tells you that posting someone's PMs without permission is also flamebaiting and will be punished.

So, instead of giving you warnings and what not which really wont work in your case (although you did get the message to not type in all caps) lets just lock your topic to stop the constant stream of insults.