Sign in to follow this  
Tacklebait

Game on helicopters: beta multiplayer

Thought I'd start a thread for forum members to touch base and game on.

I'll be firing up the game here in 30 mins if anyone is interested in tryi g out some multiplayer.

-tack

Be warned I may crash a few times...

well here's the crappy thing about multiplayer in beta. the only map available is a racing map that has no respawns. so if you want to fly again after you've crash you'd have to request for the host to restart the map or if you're the host you have to restart and everyone else who had more skills than you that didn't crash sudden gets booted from their pilot seat back into the lobby screen wondering wtf. also if you join the game after the race has started you will crash to desktop. so unless someone has made a free flight map that will actually show up in multiplayer mission selection we're pretty much screwed.

Try if you can try the exe as dedicated server already. Start is with the parameter -server.

In addition, if possible - which I assume is possible, you can easily build a simple mission in the editor

and save it as MP mission. Note: http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=2032690&postcount=5

For respawn settings, check this BIKI page:

Description.ext#Respawn

A simple free flight. Spawn around some helis. Jump in take off. Seems like no brainer mp map to start the beta off with. Editor is already confusing me...

1. Put some infantry.
  2. Set them to playable.
  3. Select side category empty.
  4. Select vehicle category air.
  5. Put some choppers.

Save as MPMission.

In addition if you want respawn:

1. Put a marker called respawn_west (or the respective side).
  2. Create a file called description.ext.
  3. Set the it to base respawn.

Save.

Hope this helps.

Ref:

Editor FAQ

Mission_Editor

Description.ext

Try if you can try the exe as dedicated server already. Start is with the parameter -server.

In addition, if possible - which I assume is possible, you can easily build a simple mission in the editor

and save it as MP mission. Note: http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=2032690&postcount=5

For respawn settings, check this BIKI page:

Description.ext#Respawn

Lol if life was that simple, and yes of course i've tried that. But like in the arma series all missions have to be compiled into a PBO before the game will recognize it as a valid mission file, plus you have to put the file in the correct directory or it won't show up at all. Plus for respawns you have to have a certain script written out etc etc, so it's not THAT simple. I've tried to pbo a sqm mission file but alas it still didn't show up on the multiplayer mission selection. i'll do some more research once i get home from work in half an hour, but hopefully by then some arma guru has already made a perfect free flight mission for our enjoyment =D.

I can wrap up an absolutely simple mp mission this evening.

Looking forward to dling it. Simple directions where to put it would be greatly appreciated!

In the MPMissions folder in the TOH main folder. If it isn't there you have to create it.

I'll be home in about 3 hrs and then i can wrap something up.

Try creating a folder titled MPMissions in your profiles folder, typically located at:

C:\Users\<your user name>\Documents\Take On Helicopters Other Profiles\<your profile name>

And then stick the mission files in there. We've had reports that this works. :)

Okay, confirmed, you have to have mpmissions folder like so in the C:\Users\"user name'\Documents\Take On Helicopters\mpmissions. Problem I'm having now is being able to select empty as side. Sometimes it doesn't show up and I can't figure out how to make it show up.

Edited by buznee

Place a Player unit on the map first and then you can create Empty units.

Lol if life was that simple, and yes of course i've tried that. But like in the arma series all missions have to be compiled into a PBO before the game will recognize it as a valid mission file, plus you have to put the file in the correct directory or it won't show up at all. Plus for respawns you have to have a certain script written out etc etc, so it's not THAT simple. I've tried to pbo a sqm mission file but alas it still didn't show up on the multiplayer mission selection. i'll do some more research once i get home from work in half an hour, but hopefully by then some arma guru has already made a perfect free flight mission for our enjoyment =D.

About Pbo statement above - that is true for the rest of the Armaverse but not yet for TOH..

Reagarding respawn and how to achieve this in a mission (taken from BIS wiki):

Respawn

Create a file with Notepad and name it "description.ext". (needs to be placed in the mission folder)

Put the following lines in that file:

respawn = RespawnType;

respawnDelay = DelayInSeconds;

respawnVehicleDelay = DelayInSeconds;

respawnDialog = 0; // Show the scoreboard and respawn countdown timer for a player if he is killed with respawnType 3. Default is 1 (true).

RespawnType

0 or "NONE" - No respawn

1 or "BIRD" - Respawn as a seagull

2 or "INSTANT" - Respawn just where you died.

3 or "BASE" - Respawn in base. Requires a marker named:

respawn_west

respawn_east

respawn_guerrila

respawn_civilian

Add markers named with the prefix 'respawn_west' with any suffix (eg: respawn_westABC, respawn_west1, respawn_west_2, etc) for multiple random respawn points. Similarly for east, guerrila and civilian.

Vehicle respawn in base requires a marker named:

respawn_vehicle_west

respawn_vehicle_east

respawn_vehicle_guerrila

respawn_vehicle_civilian

4 or "GROUP" - Respawn in your group (if there's no AI left, you'll become a seagull).

5 or "SIDE" - Respawn into an AI unit on your side (if there's no AI left, you'll become a seagull) - implemented in ArmA 1.08: with this respawn type, team switch is also available to any AI controlled playable units.

Good luck, I'm sure you will get it right :)

Is there any way to grab the mission files from the challenges? I'd like to make my own external load and fast roping missions and wouldn't mind using those as a template. Are they embedded in the pbo files? If so which ones and has anyone extracted them yet?