Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: ARMA 2: OA beta build 85101

Quote Originally Posted by jt445 View Post
    I noticed lots of AI firing through walls in this version... I mean a huge amount. Soldiers and tanks firing at enemy units who are on the other side of a building. Running out of ammo due to all the machine gun fire.

Also foot soldiers with rifles shooting at aircraft.
    Sounds like a feature, they fixed shooting through glass, I suppose they solved AI shooting through other penetratable materials.

As long as the AI has seen you before, over the wall, or next to the wall etc, it seems fine.

If it seems not fine, best create a ticket with repro mission.

Walls don't stop bullets IRL as well so why AI shouldn't be able to shoot through them?

The MG running out of ammo issue however is true due to MG wasting too much of it on the same unit which is connected to an issue in my sig (AI is unable to handle the recoil properly and shoots with MG while standing which makes matters worse)
    Last edited by metalcraze; Oct 5 2011 at 13:47.
    ArmA2: "Doc, I'm wounded, I can barely aim and I'm bleeding badly, come on pull my body out of the harm's way and treat me before I die!"
    ArmA3: "You are wounded! Click to instantly regenerate health whenever you feel like it!"

Giving 'authenticity' an entirely new meaning, together with Medal of Honor.

Quote Originally Posted by metalcraze View Post
    Walls don't stop bullets IRL as well so why AI shouldn't be able to shoot through them?
    that depends on the wall. And on the bullets

(AI is unable to handle the recoil properly and shoots with MG while standing which makes matters worse)
    Sometimes I even see the MG gunners sprayin 180 degree radius singlehandedly Rambo- style
    (Happens when they´re so eager to shoot that they start firing while still shifting position).
    Wouldn´t count that as a bug, it can be annoying when they hit teammates while doing so, though
    bang one, bang ´em all

Quote Originally Posted by dontknowhow View Post
    that depends on the wall. And on the bullets
    True that, but I don't think I've ever noticed small arms fire penetrating thick clay(?) takistani walls. While at the same time thin concrete walls were penetrated, in fact I remember after fixes AI managed to kill one of the enemies running behind it to take cover. I thought it was pretty sweet. At the same time there was almost a squad behind that wall but AI got only one enemy - so it isn't a cheat either.

IIRC walls are not considered cover but concealment just like foliage. Only ground is the real cover.
    Last edited by metalcraze; Oct 5 2011 at 14:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Sickboy View Post
    Sounds like a feature, they fixed shooting through glass, I suppose they solved AI shooting through other penetratable materials.

As long as the AI has seen you before, over the wall, or next to the wall etc, it seems fine.

If it seems not fine, best create a ticket with repro mission.
    This has nothing to with shooting through glass... they are shooting through brick / concrete walls. It looks absurd. Take for example a bunch of soldiers inside the mosque in Zargabad city shooting at the walls of the mosque to try and kill somebody on the street. When I go outside to see who they were shooting at, I see nobody.

Even worse as I stated they are running out of ammo. On top of that there has killing friendlies due to the excessive gunfire.

Definitely a bug. Anybody else see this?

Yeah this is silly I see this a lot

Sometimes I even see the MG gunners sprayin 180 degree radius singlehandedly Rambo- style
    (Happens when they´re so eager to shoot that they start firing while still shifting position).
    Wouldn´t count that as a bug, it can be annoying when they hit teammates while doing so, though

Quote Originally Posted by jt445 View Post
    This has nothing to with shooting through glass... they are shooting through brick / concrete walls. It looks absurd.
    Reality is absurd?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKhMOfaYwvE (watch from 2 minute and onwards)

Take for example a bunch of soldiers inside the mosque in Zargabad city shooting at the walls of the mosque to try and kill somebody on the street. When I go outside to see who they were shooting at, I see nobody.
    AI doesn't know there was nobody there when you went outside. But they won't shoot unless they saw an enemy.

Even worse as I stated they are running out of ammo. On top of that there has killing friendlies due to the excessive gunfire.
    This is the only thing that needs to be balanced. They shouldn't spend more than X secs shooting at an enemy unless they have a direct line of sight.
    Last edited by metalcraze; Oct 5 2011 at 15:14.

metalcraze is so right ...

Besides,i hate the fact that AI shoot things with inadequate weapons,like shooting statics using rifles or infantry using rpg and smaw ... but i guess this has been mentioned a lot of times before.

Reality is absurd?

This is the only thing that needs to be balanced. They shouldn't spend more than X secs shooting at an enemy unless they have a direct line of sight.
    The behavior I saw was several instances of a group of soldiers or tank MGs shooting at a wall for a few minutes. The don't have line of sight of an enemy. The most obvious of this was the Zargabad mosque example I mentioned earlier. They seem to ignore everything except being locked into combat with the wall.

Sounds like the shoot-through-windows code was tweaked a little too much.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast