Variable

Tapatalk - smartphones app for forums browsing

May I suggest BIS to activate Tapatalk on the forums? It's a nice forums browsing smartphone app.

I use it to browse the CiA and Folk forums and it's just great. It makes browsing, reading, posting, replying and quoting very easy and convenient from a smartphone.

vBulletin is supported, over 22500 forums activated it and they seem very concerned with security so I guess it's safe.

Closure: I have no business interest in this, it's just very convenient and useful.

(I hope this is the right place to post this, moderators, please move topic if that's not the right board)

For Tapatalk features and impression, see below. It contains a brief list of features and selected screenshots of Tapatalk running on different devices (quoted from their website):

Tapatalk is a forum app on the iPhone, Android, webOS, Windows Phone 7 and BlackBerry. Tapatalk Forum App provides super fast on-the-go forum access to majority of the discussion forums that has activated the Tapatalk plugin.

Showing New and Unread Thread with Avatar and Number of reply:

77ec8c55-d161-2949.jpg

Images in the thread are converted to thumbnail and allow full-screen viewing

77ec8c55-d19e-1d77.jpg

Ability to see Who's Online and what they are doing:

77ec8c55-d1b3-cbe1.jpg

Ability to search by topics and posts:

77ec8c55-d1cd-05b1.jpg

Ability to upload images directly from Android and iPhone!:

77ec8c55-d44e-0fbc.jpg

Forum Moderation support:

77ec8c55-d44e-0fbb.jpg

Check out http://www.tapatalk.com for more information!

Edited by Variable
Added tapatalk screenshots and features out of tapatalk website
  • Like 1

Half my posting on this forum is done by my phone, what's the need of this?

If you use your phone for forum browsing that much, then I think you will find it very useful. Using the phone's default browser for forum browsing forces you to swipe and pinch frequently, to reveal areas that include buttons (like "reply" or "quote"). The buttons are not designed to be used on a small screen and are hard to press, resulting with pushing buttons you didn't want to press and so on.

There's a comparison of how a CiA forum thread looks on the iPhone's 4 Safari browser and on Tapatalk:

Safari:

6210562141_f0df01a7d1_z.jpg

Tapatalk:

6194592766_3bea503050_z.jpg

Edited by Variable
removed links enumeration

yeah well, there are no downsides for the forum users or owners.

I am all for it

He's right, I find it a pain in the arse to browse from my phone sometimes. This looks much better, even though it's a payware app.

I actually just searched for tapa just now, before seeing this thread on the main forum page. I'd very much like tapatalk support!

Posted from my iPhone

One thing that annoys me is the added text "this message was posted by Tapatalk" or such, can that be turned off? as above where it says "Posted from my iPhone " that stuff I find annoying personally and don't see why it has to be there :)

One thing that annoys me is the added text "this message was posted by Tapatalk" or such, can that be turned off? as above where it says "Posted from my iPhone " that stuff I find annoying personally and don't see why it has to be there :)

The message can be disabled, but only on the user end, so every individual Tapatalk user would have to do that. AFAIK there is no way for a forum to block these messages once it has Tapatalk enabled.

And yeah the Tapatalk messages annoy me aswell, but it's nothing that couldn't be filtered out with a simple Greasemonkey script. :D

Tapatalk has no added text like that. I just looked at the settings and It doesn't seem such option is even available to be turned on.

What you saw on my screenshot is my "geo tag". it's turned off by default. I just activated this feature momentarily to see how it looks like.

I started using it just a few days ago, and it's the only way to enjoy browsing forums on your phone (or tablet I guess) that doesnt annoy me with the small buttons etc.

so thats a +1!

Nice will just install this on my Galaxy S2.. Hope this will be added. Thanks.

darn.

hmm.. have to analyze that app, maybe we can make a host file change and point the vbulletin domain to bisforums?

anyways.

i was checking out the xml output from this forum.

It aint hard to write some read-only solution.

i might try to script some html5page with xmlreader later today (javascript)

or, look into the possibility of using some xslt style.

Personally I never felt the need to use any forum dedicated app, but I guess I'm just spoiled from using a Samsung Galaxy S2 (4,27" screen makes any other phone look like a pager :P).

Adding BIS forums to Tapatalk would definitely be welcomed by many, but as Placebo said, the "tapatalk signatures" (SENT FROM SPACE USING A PHONE LOL IM SO ANNOYING NOW H8 ME) are freaking annoying. Half of xda-developers forum is literally spammed by that crap.

Edited by Cole

Personally I never felt the need to use any forum ...but as Placebo said, the "tapatalk signatures" (SENT FROM SPACE USING A PHONE LOL THX TAPATALK I CAN BE ANNOYING NOW) are freaking annoying. Half of xda-developers forum is literally spammed by that crap.

Stop saying Tapatalk has automated signatures!!! it has NO SUCH SIGNATURES!

Cole, really, it's too bad you don'e read previous posts:

Tapatalk has no added text like that. I just looked at the settings and It doesn't seem such option is even available to be turned on.

What you saw on my screenshot is my "geo tag". it's turned off by default. I just activated this feature momentarily to see how it looks like.

Stop saying Tapatalk has automated signatures!!! it has NO SUCH SIGNATURES!

Cole, really, it's too bad you don'e read previous posts:

you mad?

I did read the thread.

Here, have some exclusive proof that I just took a screenshot of to prove you wrong:

yes, I actually bought Tapatalk to take this screenshot.

1XINH.jpg

With love,

Cole

What was the default status?

For me it was turned off by default. That's why I missed it somehow...

Sorry about that. I owe you an app.

haha don't worry, Android Market has a refund feature, I can return anything within 15 minutes of the purchase :)

(only once though, if I buy it again now, I'm going to get charged instantly without an option to return it)

It was activated by default, but clicking the "Tapatalk Signature", I could turn it off or define custom messages. Clicking Customize, I suppose you can select certain forums or situations where the signature is not used, didn't check that.

Now, there would be two ways how to make people stop using the signature if Tapatalk was enabled for this forum:

a) the strict way - make using the signature against forum rules = first use would get you a warning, second usage would cause a 2 day ban.

b) the difficult to implement way - Detect these messages within the forum and automatically remove them from the post.

It's wierd that for iPhone it's off by default but in android it's on by default...

But as long as it has an option to remove it I don't see it as a disadvantage.

Should be implemented and working now, any problems let me know either directly or through here :)

Should be implemented and working now, any problems let me know either directly or through here :)

Woohoo! Thanks very much. It's good to know BIS responds to our requests. This will also make my taxi and bus drives much more fun :)