Sign in to follow this  
Hobostryke

ArmA 3 System Requirements

How exactly do you put a Steam Game on an SSD? I believe ArmA 3 is going to be a steamworks title right?

Nobody from BI said anything regarding Steamworks for ArmA3, you might be confusing it with DayZ, for which that seems to be the case.

Regarding Steam and SSD's, they've recently added an option to create additional folders for Steam games on different drives. When you start to download a game, you now get a menu like this:

jOuW2Cg.png

It should be self explanatory.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

Nobody from BI said anything regarding Steamworks for ArmA3, you might be confusing it with DayZ, for which that seems to be the case.

Regarding Steam and SSD's, they've recently added an option to create additional folders for Steam games on different drives. When you start to download a game, you now get a menu like this:

http://i.imgur.com/jOuW2Cg.png

They should have made that a long time ago....

They should have made that a long time ago....

Agreed, but it's there now, which is the important bit.

We should not turn this thread into a Steam one, there's already one in the offtopic anyway. Let's stick to System Requirements please. :)

Hi my case will be Aerocool Strike-x One Advance Usb 3.0 so that i think that the 212 EVO will enter without problems. No still i havent bought the pc, what motherboard do you recommend?? The SSD will buy it in the near future when i have more money since they are more expensive.

thanks and regards (sorry for my english)

As I said, apparently ASUS has a reliably good reputation.

I've heard the opposite about Gigabyte, specifically with regards to power control, so ASRock would make sense as a "third choice" (wasn't that the most commonly cited one in the techpowerup thread?), and admittedly I picked ASUS on account of their P8Z77-I Deluxe (Z77 chipset, Mini ITX form factor) winning Anandtech's roundup of Z77 mITX boards. I will say this though:

"not all of us have the money to go throw down another $250 on a board just because there was bad technical support."

Paying $250 for a motherboard in the first place was the guy's first mistake.

I've heard the opposite about Gigabyte, specifically with regards to power control, so ASRock would make sense as a "third choice" (wasn't that the most commonly cited one in the techpowerup thread?),
Yes, and I've heard ASRock cited most commonly as a choice elsewhere as well.
I will say this though:

"not all of us have the money to go throw down another $250 on a board just because there was bad technical support."

Paying $250 for a motherboard in the first place was the guy's first mistake.

Fully agreed.

Yes, and I've heard ASRock cited most commonly as a choice elsewhere as well.
Even the ASRock gets a "recommendation" from that same roundup, not least because of its price point of $150, and all that kept it from the same bronze award that the ASUS board ($185, though at SuperBiiz it's $180 after shipping) got was missing "a little more performance, a debug LED and the update to the latest form of ASRock BIOS." Seriously though, $250 for a motherboard... I got a 3570K and Corsair Vengeance 8 GB with a Newegg $20 gift code for that!

ASRock is amazing...

i have a 990FX Extreme4 and LOVE it... not only do they feel good on the wallet but the features they provide are more usable than most niche features other boards provide on premium boards. asrock support is also top notch to anyone considering them

Yea..my Old ASRock is amongst those things i haven't ever regret.

Most probably i 'll bet to the same horse. :m:

Metal69, it seems we have a consensus answer -- look for an ASRock motherboard with a Z77 chipset. :D

(For anyone not already in the know, to overclock Ivy Bridge one must have both a processor with the -K suffix and a motherboard with a Z77 chipset.)

Yep, once you have a Sandy or Ivy Bridge CPU with the -K suffix and a motherboard with the Z77 chipset, overclocking is as simple as adjusting the multiplier and if necessary the voltage.

Hi

thanks very much for all recomendations and explanations. I believe that i will buy Asrock Z77 Extreme4 since the Asrock Z77 Extreme4 - M seems too small, i think. the processor will be overclocked to 4,2 ghz since i havent got liquid-cooled.I expect that the temperture of processor isnt too high when i overclocked it with the Evo 212.

regards and sorry for my english

Hi

thanks very much for all recomendations and explanations. I believe that i will buy Asrock Z77 Extreme4 since the Asrock Z77 Extreme4 - M seems too small, i think. the processor will be overclocked to 4,2 ghz since i havent got liquid-cooled.I expect that the temperture of processor isnt too high when i overclocked it with the Evo 212.

regards and sorry for my english

The Hyper 212 Evo will easily be able to cool your CPU when overclocked to 4.2 GHz. At that speed, you might not even have to adjust the CPU voltage. And your English is better than the English of a lot of native English speakers, who don't bother writing good English.

Sniperwolf i LOVE your sig... did you make it yourself for arma3? (sorry for OT)

as for ON TOPIC things, yes your hyper 212 should be capable of a 4.5Ghz OC if you get a properly seated lid on IVY, and if not then with a delidding you're nearly guaranteed 4.6-4.7 if you do it right

The Hyper 212 Evo will easily be able to cool your CPU when overclocked to 4.2 GHz. At that speed, you might not even have to adjust the CPU voltage. And your English is better than the English of a lot of native English speakers, who don't bother writing good English.

Hi

thanks you very much. I believed that maybe the Hyper 212 Evo wont be sufficient to cooler at that speed. More velocity than 4,2 GHz will be too since i heard that this generation of processors becomes very hot when overcloked them. Besides i think that 4,2 is a good speed for endure more years and get more performance.

regards

Hi

thanks you very much. I believed that maybe the Hyper 212 Evo wont be sufficient to cooler at that speed. More velocity than 4,2 GHz will be too since i heard that this generation of processors becomes very hot when overcloked them. Besides i think that 4,2 is a good speed for endure more years and get more performance.

regards

4.2 GHz sounds perfectly fine... I've heard that the "point at which Sandy Bridge was better" is 4.4-4.6 GHz.

How much can I OC my rig

and will I get any performance gain in games

How can we answer when we have no idea what your rig's components are?

How much can I OC my rig

and will I get any performance gain in games

well...... you can overclock a lot of different components in your rig, CPU, RAM, GPU and MoBo. but since your question was so aimless i assume you don't know how to overclock and therefore i really don't want to lend a hand in you hurting your system...

if however you do learn/know how to overclock, you most certainly will notice improvements, now it depends what you OC and by how much that determines how big of gains you see but yes you will see gains

How can we answer when we have no idea what your rig's components are?

can you not see my signature

well...... you can overclock a lot of different components in your rig, CPU, RAM, GPU and MoBo. but since your question was so aimless i assume you don't know how to overclock and therefore i really don't want to lend a hand in you hurting your system...

if however you do learn/know how to overclock, you most certainly will notice improvements, now it depends what you OC and by how much that determines how big of gains you see but yes you will see gains

I was mainly talking about my CPU, IMO overclocking anything else isn't worth it

OC'ing isn't hard, but I dunno if it's worth it or not

I definitely know my way around computers, I would say more than most people (I'm a Computer Science major) but I've never bothered to overclock cause from what I see you don't get any major FPS gain or anything

in fact, if I was running Linux I could probably rewrite the kernel and make ARMA run on more cores if I wanted (the beauties of task struct)

and I could probably write a driver to make the refresh rate of my monitor like a thousand and make it catch on fire

Edited by ruhtraeel

OC'ing the CPU will give you a decent boost in Arma 2. Back in 2009 when Arma 2 was still a bloody mess and I was on a HD4870 & 6GB RAM I gained about 10-15fps by OC'ing my i7 to 3.8GHz (2.67GHz stock). I doubt you will see a difference like this with your PC but the AI will definitely thank you for every GHz.

Judging by the specs in your signature, you do have room for overclocking your 2500K, up to 4-4.2 GHz if you have 2 fans rigged up to the H2O 620 in a push-pull configuration.

The CPU at least should also be able to take higher overclocks than that, seeing as it's a Sandy Bridge and not an Ivy Bridge.

The CPU at least should also be able to take higher overclocks than that, seeing as it's a Sandy Bridge and not an Ivy Bridge.

either way point its, yes on a CPU intensive game like ArmA series you most certainly see an improvement with overclock