Sign in to follow this  
Hobostryke

ArmA 3 System Requirements

One thing for sure is that if you have a computer earlier than December of this year, you will most certainly need to be in the market for an upgrade by the time ARMA 3 comes around.

You should be looking for a new processor AND graphics card quite possibly.

One thing for sure is that if you have a computer earlier than December of this year, you will most certainly need to be in the market for an upgrade by the time ARMA 3 comes around.

The cattle poo :)

Wait are you saying you know this because you have worked with BI on Arma 3 or...

no one is gonna answer such a question...

...if you have a computer earlier than December of this year...you should be looking for a new processor AND graphics card quite possibly.

would you please please stop talking non-sense? with cherry on top?

High-end hardware available a year or two after Arma 3's launch will be able to run it adequately, if the past is any indication. Each major version has had performance issues on hardware of its time: OFP, ArmA and Arma2.

It might also release a year late, so I'd suggest to wait for the demo before making any hardware purchases related solely to Arma 3. Any hardware at the same price point will be more powerful by then too, obviously.

Edited by Pulverizer

High-end hardware available a year or two after Arma 3's launch will be able to run it adequately, if the past is any indication. Each major version has had performance issues on hardware of its time: OFP, ArmA and Arma2.

It might also release a year late, so I'd suggest to wait for the demo before making any hardware purchases related solely to Arma 3. Any hardware at the same price point will be more powerful by then too, obviously.

yeah, the rule of thumb is to never buy new BIS titles at launch (Expansion and DLC excluded), always wait 1-3 years and then buy it with the addition of hardware upgrade, hopefully by then the game will be more optimized and less buggy and u can fully appreciate the amazing work that BIS has done.

If everyone thought like that, game devs would not release unoptimized beta builds at full price.

Hyberboles don't make for a very compelling argument, do they :p

...always wait 1-3 years and then buy it...

Lol, good luck waiting 3 years.

Lol, good luck waiting 3 years.

that's what I did with arma 2, yet it still doesn't run that great.

but I'm still enjoying the shit out of it, if anything im prepared to

wait longer for arma 3, not everyone is gonna upgrade once every

3 yrs to play an arma game.

That is not the release version of Arma 2, not even close, and your hardware is way better than what was "an average rig" when Arma 2 launched. Also, average of 30 fps is not "running beutifully" but that's subjective I guess.

the particular month has nothing to do with it whatsoever...any x4 cpu should be capable to run it just fine/smooth (in combo with, say, 4gb ram and a "capable" gpu). if it doesn't, before any money wasting, u should try investing into an aftermarket cooling. any cheap ~30e cooler will get ur phenom/i5/i7 to 4.0-4.4ghz fully stable....:yay:

'course, ur ready to pay more? damn, just get noctua dh-14 and ur cpu will skyrocket;)

Hi everybody! I am currently constructing a PC using a i7 processor and an ASUS LGA 1366 Intel X58 Motherboard but I still need suggestions as to how much RAM I want and what type of video and sound cards that are good.

Great choice of topic!

As mentioned before, high end GPU and 8 gb of RAM should be enough to enjoy the future game.

in general its CPU and HDD --> SDD

your rig should do fine ( with the info we currently have)

btw. very hard to tell atm...

Nothing. Its perfectly enough I would say. Unless you wanna extremely high settings.

Well I will buy an SSD for sure in the comming months . So this upgrade is 100% sure.

Nice to hear though that my current rig could deal with ARMA III in a good way :)

Off ARMA3 topic, I think if your computer can handle BF3 very well, then ARMA3 is a piece of cake. :P

My PC handle BF3 pretty well all maxed out at 1680x1050. Occasionally during large explosions it will drop to 20 frame rates, then goes right back up. ArmA 2 still gets to 23-24 frame rates in grassy areas with nothing going on. :p ArmA 2 also gets my GPU hotter.

Simply put, ArmA 3 will probably require a much faster PC than BF3 does.

My PC handle BF3 pretty well all maxed out at 1680x1050. Occasionally during large explosions it will drop to 20 frame rates, then goes right back up. ArmA 2 still gets to 23-24 frame rates in grassy areas with nothing going on. :p ArmA 2 also gets my GPU hotter.

Simply put, ArmA 3 will probably require a much faster PC than BF3 does.

That doesn't necessarily mean that ArmA2's graphics are better than BF3's. There is something called optimization and memory leaks and stuff. Because BF3 is pretty demanding with it's effects and stuff. For graphics that don't look as intensive as BF3's, ArmA 2's graphics shouldn't be as demanding as they are. However BF3 does their graphics and effects/particles and stuff, ArmA 3 should take an example from that. If BIS can rework the effects, even if they are more like MW3's 2D effects (hopefully not though), then ArmA 3 may not be THAT demanding.

That doesn't necessarily mean that ArmA2's graphics are better than BF3's. There is something called optimization and memory leaks and stuff. Because BF3 is pretty demanding with it's effects and stuff. For graphics that don't look as intensive as BF3's, ArmA 2's graphics shouldn't be as demanding as they are. However BF3 does their graphics and effects/particles and stuff, ArmA 3 should take an example from that. If BIS can rework the effects, even if they are more like MW3's 2D effects (hopefully not though), then ArmA 3 may not be THAT demanding.

Have you tried loading Utes? It's about the same size as bigger BF3 maps. You will find out that it runs much better than BF3 does...

Have you tried loading Utes? It's about the same size as bigger BF3 maps. You will find out that it runs much better than BF3 does...

Not on my PC. Though I agree, it is hard to compare ArmA and BF3 due to map size, the overall scale, the amount of objects (even if lower quality, much more in ArmA), ect.

My advice is to wait until about a month before release, since all the technology you'd want and need will probably be out by then, and prices for already available products will probably have dropped.

Not talking about map sizes. What makes ArmA lag is not just the maps. It can be an increased view distance, or upped graphics settings, or a lot of particle effects going on, like a lot of smoke or something, which is what causes the most lag for me. With BF3 and all the destruction and explosions, and effects heavy stuff that goes on, it still runs better than ArmA. ArmA 2's effects look simple compared to BF3's. And I can run BF3 on the highest setting at 1920x1080 resolution, playing 32x32 player servers. I experience lag with ArmA with less AI than that. Maybe it's just my system, but that shouldn't be the case.