Page 2 of 89 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: ArmA 3 System Requirements

But a comparison was made with ArmA no?

Battlefield's 2kmx2km and ArmA3's 20kmx20km (and that's only a landmass, ignoring stuff like detailed sea bottom) are two different scales (in fact that's 100 times different)

So I really fail to see how handling BF3 well is any indication of how much more demanding ArmA3 would handle on the same PC (don't forget - it also has complex AI routines and every destruction done at any point of the huge map stays like that forever, even grass being pushed down by anyone translates over network - and in BF3 foliage doesn't seem to interact with players in any way).

If anything my "worst case scenario FPS calculator" is ArmA2 FPS / 1.5 = ArmA3 FPS
    Last edited by metalcraze; Oct 3 2011 at 10:42.
    ArmA2: "Doc, I'm wounded, I can barely aim and I'm bleeding badly, come on pull my body out of the harm's way and treat me before I die!"
    ArmA3: "You are wounded! Click to instantly regenerate health whenever you feel like it!"

Giving 'authenticity' an entirely new meaning, together with Medal of Honor.

on the other hand BF3 lighting engine is lighting years ahead of BIS...even without day cycles...so is the particle and gfx effects. Destruction, while the scale is smaller, is a also advanced.
    And while all this pushes the GFX card a lot more than the CPU, the game can scale up to 8 cores/threads, which is something i have never seen A2 do properly.

anyhow, you can't really compare the two either way.
    Last edited by PuFu; Oct 3 2011 at 11:38.
    Spoiler:

If you will apply a color correction with the ridiculous amount of contrast to ArmA2 plus an ugly blue/green-ish tint its lightning engine will become just as "advanced" as BF3's (and Crysis 2's and CoD's for that matter)

http://i29.fastpic.ru/big/2011/0927/...e5642bf6a1.jpg

(also here's ArmA2 screenshot - compare the amount of detail http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...2-41-29-91.jpg, as a bonus quick and dirty shoop http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...aa2oapp3-1.jpg - wow how "advanced" lighting suddenly started to look )

the game can scale up to 8 cores/threads, which is something i have never seen A2 do properly.
    Consoles have only 2 cores, man. Considering that the only difference between PC port and console versions lies in crispier textures I fail to see how additional 6 cores can help anything.
    I mean BF3 has no AI and there are no physical remnants from destructions
    Last edited by metalcraze; Oct 3 2011 at 17:24.

I think Pufu was talking about multi directional lighting metalcraze.

Quote Originally Posted by metalcraze View Post
    If you will apply a color correction with the ridiculous amount of contrast to ArmA2 plus an ugly blue/green-ish tint its lightning engine will become just as "advanced" as BF3's (and Crysis 2's and CoD's for that matter)

http://i29.fastpic.ru/big/2011/0927/...e5642bf6a1.jpg

(also here's ArmA2 screenshot - compare the amount of detail http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...2-41-29-91.jpg, as a bonus quick and dirty shoop http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...aa2oapp3-1.jpg - wow how "advanced" lighting suddenly started to look )
    you should really learn to read...i was talking about lighting engine, not post process and color/gamma/contrast correction(s)....

Consoles have only 2 cores, man. Considering that the only difference between PC port and console versions lies in crispier textures I fail to see how additional 6 cores can help anything.
    I mean BF3 has no AI and there are no physical remnants from destructions
    frostbyte is a game multi-platform game engine. I don't care about consoles no more than the next guy. Have a read (tnx to bangtail):
    Originally Posted by Johann Anderrson, Rendering Architect at DICE
    There will be two versions of the Frostbite Engine: Version 1.x is used for Battlefield: Bad Company 1, Battlefield 1943 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2. It supports Xbox 360, PS3 and DirectX 10. DICE is working on the Frostbite 2 engine at the moment that will support DirectX 10.1 and DirectX 11 as well. DICE is very proud of the parallelized engine since 2-8 parallel threads are supported for using full capacity of a Core i7 e.g.."

i've been already putting some money aside....plan to get 6850 vapor-x, new system fans and push the oc to the max. arma3's gonna eat the gpu alive, plus if it gets to dx11 the 128bit gpu will have some tough time...not to mention AA enabled

7.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #17
    If your ArmA2 OA runs at (at least) 40 fps+ on high or max details, it should run ArmA3 without choke on a one level down settings (med or high)
    ArmA3 Gameplay Animator
    fragOut Studio www.fragoutstudio.com, games: Sniper Tactical for Android, Firebound - realism RTT for PC
    Enjoying my A3 anims? Support me, like my company on facebook

going to new an upgrade here...
    Greek ArmA Community
    ASC MAPPACK SEASON 2

Here you can find the recored matches of Season 1:

Quote Originally Posted by Smookie View Post
    If your ArmA2 OA runs at (at least) 40 fps+ on high or max details, it should run ArmA3 without choke on a one level down settings (med or high)
    And you base this assumption on ?
    "Whoever comes to us with the sword from the sword will perish"
    Alexandr Nevsky Prince of Novgorod and Kiev 1220-1263

10.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #20

Page 2 of 89 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast