Sign in to follow this  
_raine

ITV fakes terrorist footage using ARMA II

I wonder if some researcher was told to get the video and edit it and picked the wrong one?

Yeah, it's starting to look like they just picked the wrong one, probably not imagining that someone would recreate it in a video game. Still sloppy though.

Wow that's quite low of ITV to use Arma2 like that.

I've posted the links from the OP on my FB account, there's a few media types on my friends list so hopefully it'll make it's way onto some mainstream uk news.

It could turn out to be a nice bit of advertising for BIS.

They might as well use

to make a documentary about battle-bus in Afghanistan.

People must know!

Edited by Zoz

I wonder if some researcher was told to get the video and edit it and picked the wrong one?

I'd imagine so.

That video shows what look like Libyan-supplied FN MAGs (they have a different butt-stock to most MAG variant you'll see), which is what the show was trying to demonstrate.

My brother once had a job editing video clips for news programmes - he said they were viewed as 'expendable'; so I wouldn't be surprised if some poor sod loses his job over this fuck up.

I'd imagine so.

I can't imagine anyone in charge of picking videos to be so stupid... lol.

monkey: there is a difference between the lads behind a news programme (where things needs to happen a lot faster) and someone trying to put together a small documentary...

Reminds me of local TV channels here. Those guys love to use music and sounds from video games. I think they have even used some stuff from OFP and ArmA (can't prove anything though).

However, sounds from Half-Life will always be their favourite ones.

It is not a documentary, but propaganda to justify the UK leading the Libya adventure with France and the US.

Please don't degrade proper documentaries with that.

It is not a documentary, but propaganda to justify the UK leading the Libya adventure with France and the US.

It was a brilliant documentary but just because one clip has poor researching / archiving, you are all jumping on it.

Hmm, hadn't IRA received American firearms as well? Why don't they make a documentary about that? ;)

Nah, just kidding. To be honest, I'd still watch that documentary. Proxy should do the trick.

Edited by nuttex

@ blardyblah

See #22

You are not some promo guy for ITV, right?

It was a brilliant documentary but just because one clip has poor researching / archiving, you are all jumping on it.

It isn't just 1 clip though.

The clip of rioting that was supposed to be from earlier this year was about 10 years old.

As for Sean O'Callaghan. He is a Walter Mitty with mental health issues who was interviewed by John McCririck on Channel 4 Racing last year as he said he knew where Shergar was buried. He is a complete BS artist.

The complete thing was just to try and get the British public onside whilst the forces are away bombing yet another country.

Hi all

At the start and longer at About 28 minutes in for those interested in seeing it.

Kind Regards walker

That Libya supplied the IRA is no secret and had been known for ages. Tis hardly on the pulse reporting.

Anyways, this has sod all to do with the topic.

Oh, funny mistake though. Two marketing coups for BIS in a short space of time.

Edited by Snafu

Hi all

But once again great publicity for ArmA III and VBS.

Kind Regards walker

monkey: there is a difference between the lads behind a news programme (where things needs to happen a lot faster) and someone trying to put together a small documentary...

He didn't work on a nightly news bulletin programmes - he worked on an investigative 'newsmagazine' show like this one, as well as various weekly entertainment programmes (editing interviews and pre-recorded performances). No matter what the production was - it was always a rolling contract as a video editor.

I've never said this to anyone on a forum before, but in this instance I can assert with complete confidence: You are a shill.

Whether it was deliberate or simply a goof made by a researcher, it is still extremely bad form.

If ITV actually hope to "crystalize public opinion" with their blatant propaganda pieces, then they might want exhibit a degree of professionalism, as well as avoid infringing on a company's intellectual property.

That Libya supplied the IRA is no secret and had been known for ages. Tis hardly on the pulse reporting.

Anyways, this has sod all to do with the topic.

Very true, the French and Irish governments intercepted several shipments of weapons from Libya. On 1 November 1987 The MV Eksund vessel was found to contain 120 tonnes of Libyan arms, including HMGs, 36 RPGs, 1000 detonators, 20 SAMs, Semtex and 1,000,000 rounds of ammunition. Some of the IRA SAMS were later sold to ETA to assassinate Spanish politicians but the missiles were stored incorrectly and did not work when fired.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provisional_Irish_Republican_Army_arms_importation

Back on topic - I have emailed ITV a complaint and demanded a statement. I will post if I get anything back. :D

If you want to see the IRA using Libyan weapons - the real shoot down footage is here:

Hey - maybe ITV need my services lol

Edited by PELHAM

Its not necessarily ITV's fault...it's the archivers, or even Associated Press thank you very much

Interesting.

And what was your job in making the documentary? ;)

Hi again!

Does anyone know if this is a cutscene or is it actual in game footage? Just trying to find the origional in game footage :) Thanks

I have only one question:

Will the spanking be televised as well? :D

Hi again!

Does anyone know if this is a cutscene or is it actual in game footage? Just trying to find the origional in game footage :) Thanks

The confusion apparently happened because someone recreated the actual event in the game based off of an actual IRA video of the event, and uploaded it to Youtube

. A costly and embarrassing mix-up.

This is ingame footage. Gameplay, not a cutscene. The "player" (camera viewpoint) is only watching rather than participating to stay as close to the original video, but it is all live-action real-time processing (that also means that it will never quite play out the same way every time, so it might have taken a few attempts to get the game footage to match the IRA video).

Edited by JdB