Sign in to follow this  
genesis92x

Degeneration-Redux- Zombie Invasion -

Degeneration Redux V1.07B

UPDATE

==========================

DEGENERATION IS NOT VERY LAN MP FRIENDLY. DEDICATED IS NEEDED FOR MP.

Hey guys,

Update Degeneration to V1.07. Check it out if you got the time!

Download Here!

Don't forget the @DGN update as well: @DGN

Fixed quite a lot and added a lot. There's a lot more of added content that was requested by all the players.

Sidemissions

Civilians for the rescuing

A safe zone

More A2/OA weapons

Bunch of bug fixes

All static weapons can be packed up

Horde events!

Stuff I forgot about.

Fixed the spawning system

Enjoy!

UPDATE

===================

Other Zombie Missions:

COOP 2 Namalsk Zombies 1.0 - bobtom

COOP 10 Chernarus Apocalypse, part one - Celery

COOP 10 Chernarus Apocalypse, part two - Zombies without addons! - Celery

COOP 10 Chernarus Apocalypse, part three - Addon-free zombie horror! - Celery

COOP 02 Dawn of the Apocalypse - An addon-free zombie quickie! -Celery

[sP] Dawn of the Apocalypse (A2) - Celery

===================

Before anything, I feel it is necessary to give credit where credit is due for the endless amounts of testing/scripting/magic that they all worked to make this mission come together over the last couple months. If you don't like it, skip it.

This is, more or less, the Degeneration team!

Garret ][Niipaa: Created the @DGN addon. Created multiple icons/images/epic things for Degeneration. Thanks buddy, couldn't of done it without you! (Also, thanks for all the help on the food/water system!)

Craig bobtom : Created multiple scripts for Degeneration that made it 100000% more efficent and managable. (Thanks for helping/fixing the bugs I was having with the scripts! Couldn't have done it without you either!)

: Description :

You and your friends are stranded in the middle of a zombie invasion with little hope...It's a race against time as your food,water, and ammo supplies all run empty while the undead become more and more frequent. Can you escape the land? How long can you survive before they get you?

Degeneration Redux is a sandbox survival mission that delivers a lot more on ALL fronts than the previous version. The biggest change is moving from The Undead Mod to Celery's Zombie scripts. THANK YOU CELERY FOR THE ZOMBIES!

Objective

The objective is whatever the player wants it to be really. It's a sandbox!

However, the players can try escaping the island by finding the disabled helicopter, repairing it by finding the 5 helicopter parts spread throughout the map, and then flying out East. (Keep in mind all these locations are random)

There are also quite a bit of sidemissions that get randomly spawned around the map every once in awhile!

There are also civilians to save!

Mission Dynamics

Weapon/Food/Static Spawning System

Each town will randomly spawn a random amount of vehicles. These vehicles will also have a random spawn of weapons and/or food inside of them. This is how the player(s) will equip themselfs with goodies to fight off the undead horde. Some vehicles may be flipped on their side, or completely upside down!

There will also be randomly placed Cache's around the map that can offer further support for the players. It is probably smart to mention that every town has a small chance (very small!!) to spawn an armored vehicle, and a slightly better chance to spawn static weapons.

Towing System

Almost all vehicles in Degeneration can tow vehicles and static weapons. Even though this mechanic can look goofy at times...it was left in because of the fun factor it brought into the game! And making trains of vehicles attached to each other is always fun. Not easy. But rewarding. Remember: Barricades can mean the difference between life and death!

Zombie Spawning System

The zombies work in two ways. (Think L4D)

1)Zombies will always be spawning dynamically around the players, but if players stay in an area long enough and kill enough zombies, it will be considered 'clear' and no more zombies will spawn until the players leave the area and come back.

2)Zombie hordes spawn every 10 minutes and begin to track the player down. No matter where they might be hiding. Hordes are usually easy to spot since they usually contain LARGE numbers and a few 'armored' zombies. OH! Don't forget to check the zombies for bandages and spare dropped ammo!

Types of Zombies

Celery made various types of zombies. Some you might encounter in Degeneration are...

[i]normal[/i]	---   makes noise when idle, runs to victim when one is spotted.
[i]surprise[/i]	---   runs to victim when one is spotted, silent until close.
[i]sneaker[/i]	---   crawls, silent until very close, starts running when close, aggro radius always maximum.
[i]ambusher [/i]---  crawls, silent until very close, waits still, starts running when victim is in aggro range
[i]armored[/i]	---   runs to victim when one is spotted, silent until close, withstands lots of damage

Food/Water System

The Food and Water system is completely optional but I would advise playing with it on. It adds an extra layer of challenge that is welcomed by the many testers! No longer can you just camp inside of a building forever! This will constantly challenge your ability to scavange for food! Just hope you don't find just water OR food! You need both!

Spectating System

Celery uses a very nice spectating system for the dead players! You can easily swap the camera between your surviving friends if you are dead!

Fancy GUI's

To keep you updated on your hunger/thirst levels there are two bars that will constantly change to inform you on when you should eat that watermelon!

There is also a silly HP bar as well. It will keep you updated on how many more slaps from a zombie you can take before you are dead...or how quick the hunger or thirst is destroying your body. You can also enter vehicles simply by pressing "E" next to one!

JIP Compatible

The mission is fully JIP compatible! When a player leaves their weapons/hp will be saved to the played character. Upon returning the player will be spawned back at their previous "known" location. (A players position is updated every 30 seconds currently, for testing purposes.)

Easter Eggs

There are a couple easter eggs of course!

Increased FPS

There is a significant increase in frame rate in the mission!

Of course, Celery's zombies are addon free but sadly Degeneration is not completley addon free.

One of my best buddies made an addon just for Degeneration but can be used for anything. The addon is called DGN Core 1.6a. DGN Core 1.6a is not currently finished 100% but is in enough shape to work for Degeneration. Keep in mind Degeneration isn't 100% either.

UPDATE

Hey guys,

Update Degeneration to V1.07. Check it out if you got the time!

Download Here!

Don't forget the @DGN update as well: @DGN

Fixed quite a lot and added a lot. There's a lot more of added content that was requested by all the players.

Sidemissions

Civilians for the rescuing

A safe zone

More A2/OA weapons

Bunch of bug fixes

All static weapons can be packed up

Horde events!

Stuff I forgot about.

Fixed the spawning system

Enjoy!

UPDATE

Edited by Genesis92x

I saw you tweeting this :D

Was about to contact you, but forgot about it!

Glad you made it "open beta"... will give it a try! Thanks. :thumbsup:

Holy crap this is great me and me mates tryed to get the old DEGEN working for ages never did for us really.

This sounds great will try it ASAP will you make an ACE compatible version soon?

Haha yeah, you probably saw bobtom (Craig) tweet about it or another. Craig is going to release a mission that will work on almost ANY island that will spawn players, zombies, weapons, and vehicles very similiar to Degen. You just have to change the extension on the mission folder.

Wow nice job! Will certainly take a look.

Thanks :D A lot of people put a lot of time in for this Degeneration to make sure this release went better than the last...

Holy crap this is great me and me mates tryed to get the old DEGEN working for ages never did for us really.

This sounds great will try it ASAP will you make an ACE compatible version soon?

The mission will work with ACE as is. It just does not have the ACE gear. The mission also disables ACE's stamina system as well....Degeneration would be near impossible with stamina. However, adding additional weapons would be fairly easy. Just time consuming..

Edited by Genesis92x

Yep that was me, I plan on releasing it publicly soon. Just play Degeneration right now. :D

Thanks for answering my question.

I will try this on me dedi server I assume it will work on a dedi server ok?.

Thanks again.

Thanks for answering my question.

I will try this on me dedi server I assume it will work on a dedi server ok?.

Thanks again.

No problem,

It should work just fine on a dedicated server, I tested Degeneration many times on the VVC server (I'm sure it's still uploaded there). The server runs through defconservers and it had no issues. If you experience somesort of frame drop try turning down the # of zombies per KM^2 in the paramaters.

Hey guys, just making a quick announcment:

A couple of bugs were brought to my attention and now have been patched. If you would like to recieve these bug fixes, please re-download the mission!

Fixed: Extreme script lag caused via HP monitor/other checking scripts on certain occasions.

Fixed: Never Ending zombies spawning in the middle of the map

Fixed: Watermelon would drop hunger 20% when it should only drop it 10%

Also, the mission is on the VVC server if a temporary server was needed to play.

Edited by Genesis92x

Awesome! Thanks for this. Love my zombie missions.

Could you use another upload site in the future? That one sucks... :D

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------

Ok so I just tried it out for a while and it REALLY bogs my system down. Is that common? I have a pretty decent system and was kind of surprised to see the amount of slowdown.

Awesome! Thanks for this. Love my zombie missions.

Could you use another upload site in the future? That one sucks... :D

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------

Ok so I just tried it out for a while and it REALLY bogs my system down. Is that common? I have a pretty decent system and was kind of surprised to see the amount of slowdown.

Hm, you tried the most recent version correct (V1.01)? I would try lowering the amount of zombies per KM^2, if you are hosting the game on your computer you will probably see some frame rate drop. It shouldn't be severe though. I have a Vista 32 Bit, Quad @2.40GHz and 3.00 GB ram and I usually get ~20 frames in the mission and ~25 in any other mission.

I've had 7 other people host and none of them had severe problems...but that doesn't mean there's something else going on. What do you mean by bog down? Does it happen right away? Or is it overtime that it starts to slow down? Try playing the mission on the VVC server (Or any other server) and please let me know how your computer handles it there. Degeneration is about just as demanding as Benney's Warfare is...When comparing server FPS anyways.

Also, if you are running any other mods besides @DGN, that might the cause as well.

Edited by Genesis92x
Terrible Grammar

It's right from the beginning. My system literally lags. It's like I'm playing with a high ping and everything happens half a second or so after I press the button to do it. It never slows down or speeds up. It stays the same constant "lagged" speed the entire time.

It's on the default zeds per km2. I think that was 50?

And yes I'm running ACE. I'll give it a spin without ace tomorrow(bout to go to bed) and give you another report.

p.s. My recommendation to spice the map up a bit is to do sec-ops style missions that pop up. For example save a group of people calling over the radio for help.

It's right from the beginning. My system literally lags. It's like I'm playing with a high ping and everything happens half a second or so after I press the button to do it. It never slows down or speeds up. It stays the same constant "lagged" speed the entire time.

It's on the default zeds per km2. I think that was 50?

And yes I'm running ACE. I'll give it a spin without ace tomorrow(bout to go to bed) and give you another report.

p.s. My recommendation to spice the map up a bit is to do sec-ops style missions that pop up. For example save a group of people calling over the radio for help.

Strange, well if you're sure that you're running V1.01 then I'm assuming it to be some other factor I'm unaware of. I don't try to hide my dislike for ACE, so I wouldn't pass that up as the reason. I hope we can continue to troubleshoot though, I can't recreate the problem for 1.01 and neither can any of my previous testers. I'm sure your rig is much better than mine so that can't be it...

Like I said, try joining the VVC server (that's where we tested everything) with just @DGN running. If you get the same results let me know.

Im getting "cannot load mipmap...dgen2.paa". You can click continue and the Cherno map is black but the game plays. This is on a dedicated server running just @dgn.

Im getting "cannot load mipmap...dgen2.paa". You can click continue and the Cherno map is black but the game plays. This is on a dedicated server running just @dgn.

Hmm, yeah, this was an issue with including the wrong image. It will have NO affect on the game whatsoever. Even though it is annoying. It will be fixed :)

Roger, that error will not effect gameplay, no worries. Map is supposed to be black, as you do not have one.

Thanks for the report!

bobtom

@MacScottie/anyone that is experience the "script lag"

I went through and optimized a couple of the scripts and managed to squeeze out a couple more FPS for the servers. I updated the first page, go ahead and try the updated mission please. It should be V1.03 now.

Edited by Genesis92x

excellent mission... BIG BIG ty great fun i had with my friend... almost feel like the movie resident evil 3 always travel in convoy and scanvenging for fool and ammo. got pound by loades of zombie when ever we stop.... hell even the ending is alike too board a copper fly some where,,, ( i havn't get that far yet only had found 3 chopper part)

well so far excellent mission. but it would be better if

1: clearer objective, some in game info would help, i didn't know what was the obj didn't know there r 5 choc part to collect until i come here.

2: more hint may be? 1 km~ish Viewdistance at a 13 by 13 KM map really discouraging people to find all 5 choc... we spent 5 ish hours yesterday n we could only find 3 choc part, half of our group was already bored to dead because of endless driving

3: major FPS drop near choc

4: already mention by MacScottie "script lag"... when u detech or eat or drink... script lag....

Edited by j rock

excellent mission... BIG BIG ty great fun i had with my friend... almost feel like the movie resident evil 3 always travel in convoy and scanvenging for fool and ammo. got pound by loades of zombie when ever we stop.... hell even the ending is alike too board a copper fly some where,,, ( i havn't get that far yet only had found 3 chopper part)

well so far excellent mission. but it would be better if

1: clearer objective, some in game info would help, i didn't know what was the obj didn't know there r 5 choc part to collect until i come here.

I agree, I will be adding a lot of information underneath the "Notes" section of the map

2: more hint may be? 1 km~ish Viewdistance at a 13 by 13 KM map really discouraging people to find all 5 choc... we spent 5 ish hours yesterday n we could only find 3 choc part, half of our group was already bored to dead because of endless driving

Yeah, if you try V1.03 it should be a bit easier...the markers are working correctly now. However it just tells you where one of the parts are and the cache's. I might make it in the future...if a player finds a radio, that the helicopter parts become marked on the map over time via broadcasts or something or another.

3: major FPS drop near choc

I know about this problem, and it is the smoke. I'm trying to find a better way to mark a downed helicopter's position besides frame rate reducing smoke.

4: already mention by MacScottie "script lag"... when u detech or eat or drink... script lag....

Try version 1.03. That should all be fixed now :)

Keep in mind the mission is ment to be difficult. Finding the helicopter/all the parts will only happen every once in awhile.

Edited by Genesis92x

I've had 1.02 on all night since you released it and I JIP just now and everything is still good. Ammo I had is there, cars are all still there, nice! Gonna UL 1.03, restart and try it out! This is really fun! The 1.02 was on so long it was night time when I joined, so I put the cars back to back and turned on their lights since I had no NV. ;)

I've had 1.02 on all night since you released it and I JIP just now and everything is still good. Ammo I had is there, cars are all still there, nice! Gonna UL 1.03, restart and try it out! This is really fun! The 1.02 was on so long it was night time when I joined, so I put the cars back to back and turned on their lights since I had no NV. ;)

Haha, thank you for the reply :). I'm glad someone is having a fun time playing it!

In other news: I'm creating a new system for JIP players.

The next update will actually track the players every 5 minutes and set that as their "new" JIP spawn point instead of setting the players back to their inital spawn point.

Also, Players will be spawned randomly into any town on first join. This also gives a small chance that multiple players will spawn in the same area.

Edited by Genesis92x

I still have not tryed this out but I am dieing to play this with me mates and with ACE should be great fun.

The last DEGEN could have been awesome but we had so many issues with it then it halted :(.

I hope you will continue to do a great job as you are doing all ready I love persistent missions and this one adds a little difference to ARMA 2 cant wait to have to look for food and stuff.

YOU FOUND THE RAINBOW CHOPPA!

Nice work! That is a very rare Easter egg. No worries there are more. :D