Sign in to follow this  
someboy

Recommended joystick?

Hi,

I would like to ask for some recommendations for a good joystick for playing ToH. I must say I little idea about joysticks, so any information is welcome. I guess it is possible to obtain joysticks that include pedals, but I would rather get something that fits on a table.

- How many buttons/degrees of freedom should I look for?

- What are the best brands?

Thanks in advance.

I own a Logitech 3d Pro. It is not the best but it does the job right for my needs

It all depends on the price you are willing to pay. As for brand, you got Saitek, Logitech and Thrustmaster to look for.

Pro:

Saitek - X52 (pro or not) - joy and thrust

Thrust - Hotas Cougar - joy and thrust

Logitech G940 - joy, thrust and pedals

Normal

Logitech 3d Pro

Saitek Cyborg Fly 5

My 2 cents anyways

warthdog = overkill (plus i prefer the f16 look over the A10 one ;))

SA: dude, you following me posts around those forums now?:rolleyes:

warthdog = overkill (plus i prefer the f16 look over the A10 one ;))

SA: dude, you following me posts around those forums now?:rolleyes:

when you tank about Cougar and Warthog you are far beyond overkill :) I have a cougar and I would advise against it (yes it is an amaizing piece of kit to hold in your hand, looks awesome, feels better) simply because it is 10 years old, no support for it, no drivers for current systems, very prone to HW failure (my PC just stops recognizing it) very shitty software. Warthog however is brand new, is fully supported and much improved (however very expensive, however if you could cash out for Cougar, you can cash out for warthog probably too).

@pufu

you just posting everywhere man!

Im very happy with Saitek's X52 Pro and ProFlight Pedals for ArmA and FSX and DCS. Mine does the job for 3 years now without problems that other like to report to support Thrustmaster sales ;)

when you tank about Cougar and Warthog you are far beyond overkill :) I have a cougar and I would advise against it (yes it is an amaizing piece of kit to hold in your hand, looks awesome, feels better) simply because it is 10 years old, no support for it, no drivers for current systems, very prone to HW failure (my PC just stops recognizing it) very shitty software. Warthog however is brand new, is fully supported and much improved (however very expensive, however if you could cash out for Cougar, you can cash out for warthog probably too).

Might be right, my experience with cougar was pretty limited, used it a couple of times with Il2 at a friend. Liked that a lot

@pufu

you just posting everywhere man!

Chrome is the only thing working while i wait for the render to finish :) there is 4h left of that ;)

If you don’t want peddles then you will want a joystick with a twisting axis to the handgrip to replicate rudder/tail rotor/nose wheel steering axis giving you the 3 axis of flight, you then need a 4th axis for a throttle/collective.

Personally I've been developing using:

• Keyboard and mouse
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
  • Saitek X52 Pro (stick and throttle)
  • Xbox 360 controller

I like the additional buttons I can map on the X52, such as more POV switches for looking around and moving my head. But as a regular player the fairly simple Logitech has my vote. It provides all the analogue control I want (small throttle slider and twist-grip for pedals), works very well and does not clutter my desk :)

Personally I've been developing using:

• Keyboard and mouse
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
  • Saitek X52 Pro (stick and throttle)
  • Xbox 360 controller

I like the additional buttons I can map on the X52, such as more POV switches for looking around and moving my head. But as a regular player the fairly simple Logitech has my vote. It provides all the analogue control I want (small throttle slider and twist-grip for pedals), works very well and does not clutter my desk :)

But unfortunately not all of the X52 switches and button can be assigned in A2...or is there any trick around?

Will there be full support for all of them in TOH?

But unfortunately not all of the X52 switches and button can be assigned in A2...or is there any trick around?

If an X-52 is Xpadder compatible, then there is your answer.

Just incase you don't know what our Project Lead's joystick looks like.

He likes him some clog-stick.

Now that's extraordinary cool retro style...where can i get it? It's perfect for "Rise of Flight" ;)

Now that's extraordinary cool retro style...where can i get it? It's perfect for "Rise of Flight" ;)

I guess an Atari 2600 joystick just wasn’t retro enough :rolleyes:

I miss the old C64 days. I used to slap together custom made joysticks from parts I got from other joysticks and Radio shack.

I have an X52pro myself which I use/d for many games and simulators. Personally I have been very happy with it. The only real limitation I have come across so far is only having a single throttle for the likes of the A-10, and that is only a very minor limitation everything considered for my use. I don't think it would be a large factor in TOH?

For me it's basically a great all rounder.

If I was looking for a new joystick for any helicopter game, I think the biggest parts would be smooth movement esp around the centre, and minimal spikes from the potentiometers to make the fine movements when hovering better.

I think you would only achieve this via Saitek's profile editor (or similar type software) which is quite versatile. As an example for DCS A-10 i set it up so that when the pinky button is depressed like a shift key, I setup the mini mouse joystick to act like a three way switch.

Good luck with your choice.

Blake

I had the Logitech 3D Pro but I didn't really like the high spring tension. You really have to make "an effort" to get the stick moving, which in turn makes it harder to make small adjustments. At the same time it's easier to over correct every time, causing the chopper to go in a swinging motion. A few weeks ago I bought the X52 Pro, which is in a completely different league. Flying in TKOH is ten times easier now, with the possibility of very small fine tuned adjustments. I also like the fact that the spring tension is way less compared to the 3D Pro.

But to be honest, it's all about how big your budget is. Of course the more expensive sticks will give you better precision, but sure it will be flyable with cheaper sticks as well. Hell, I've played the full Black Shark campaign with my 3D Pro and without pedals. It all depends on how much money you want to spend :) If you're really planning to invest enough play time into the sim (and maybe other sims), and you have the money, I would advise you to do it right immediately and get a more professional stick and throttle. If you're not sure at all or don't have the money: just start with a simple one and see how it goes from there.

A word of caution about saitek - one of the WORST customer service experiences ever. I bough x52 from them for a couple hundred bucks. the spring in the main joystick went loose (so loose that if you pick the stick up it flops left and right) and when i contacted them they were not helpful and after bouncing me wanted to charge a big cost for repairs. so much so that i ended up using the throttle part of that joystick and abandoning the joystick part for cheaper sticks.

eventually got the thrustmaster 16000m - very high response joystick for a surprisingly very good price. very good all in one joystick if a bit plasticy feel in the buttons - but the stick itself is really nice and very responsive.

My first joystick was a Microsoft Sidewinder

Sad_Man.jpg

Just forget about it...

Then I bought the Thrusmaster T.Flight Hotas X

happy-man03.jpg

Nice cheap Hotas, does the job properly.

And finally with the release of DCS:A10C I bought the Thrustmaster Warthog

tmlove.jpg

( I think we all did that when It arrived...I know I did :D)

Simply the best joystick on the market.

Of course it depends what are your plans.

If you want a joystick just to play ArmA/ToH, the T.Flight X will be enough.

If you do plan to play other flight sims then I'd really suggest the TM Warthog. Sure it's expensive but once you've tried it all other joysticks feel like toys.