Sign in to follow this  
Cripsis

Wargame: European Escalation Gameplay

Just found this today and I am very interested, love that you can go from a view of the whole battlefield to a detailed close up each unit. Hopefullythe control over units will be as wide ranging too. We haven'ty seen much of the infantry but I hope they really come into their own in urban areas with effective use of cover.

I think the closed beta has started, an open one will come along at some point and release is expected Q1 2012.

Looking damn good, but I'm guessing it's not comparable World in Conflict. Sure would like to see another type of game like that, and maybe this is the one that can accomplish that.

Looking damn good, but I'm guessing it's not comparable World in Conflict. Sure would like to see another type of game like that, and maybe this is the one that can accomplish that.

I though it was WiC with better graphics.

I don't know, to be honest. I haven't seen much gameplay yet, apart from the video in the original post that is; which I can't make much out of (no sound and crude alpha version).

It probably is a bit like WiC, but I suspect it's mainly very similar to RUSE at certain points.

New gameplay footage -

AceZPRngXM4

I won't be buying European Escalation as the gameplay looks far too arcadish, but I wish Combat Mission Shock Force had similar graphics.

I can't wait. Combat Mission put me to sleep.

I though it was WiC with better graphics.

I get the impression it's WiC but with ARMA tactics, scale and freedom!

EDIT: And much less restricive camera!

Did I just see hundreds of OPFOR infantry ambush a NATO column by sprinting at it from both sides, firing on the run? It looked like the first battle in The Two Towers, ffs.

Did I just see hundreds of OPFOR infantry ambush a NATO column by sprinting at it from both sides, firing on the run? It looked like the first battle in The Two Towers, ffs.

Everything was going well until I saw that. And the giants red tracers. Really, wtf?

Yes, here's to hoping that's not really representative of how it plays out. Even if so its not like many other strategy games take problems like that into consideration so I don't see it being much worse just because of that.

Edited by GRS

Yes that was also my WTF?! moment. It looked really silly...

But I hope its just for the trailer.

from playing ruse i know that large numbers of infantry could take down armour...light armour mind so thats why you would do that

although armour would be more effective :p

hope this one turns out good, i cant wait for it

Jq0rpLxhnlc

Here's some actual gameplay for those who seem to be deterred by the mediocre trailer. IMO, it looks like it draws a lot from the old Close Combat games. Edited by Breakerchase

Yeah, that video changes everything. Any modern RTS without that kind of scale can never pretend to be remotely realistic. Even that WiC mod with the lovingly reproduced weapons systems is like a cartoon when you are always engaging with hellfires and MLRS from fifty yards away. With the kind of scale in Wargame, you can actually use ATGMs and artillery as they are meant to be used. Hopefully it can be modded, too.

I'm not usually into strategy games, but that looks pretty awesome.