Sign in to follow this  
Cripsis

Wargame: European Escalation Gameplay

Did you get a chance to try out the urban combat. Is there a noticable shift in the AIs tactics? Do infantry come into their own here?

Urban combat is simplified given the scale of the game. Not sure what you mean by AI but infantry of course is useful for rooting out defenders in the towns and for defending. (In one game I had 2 Strela-3 MANPADS teams in a village defeat a horde of Cobras--combined arms is essential :))

Edited by Breakerchase

Good to hear. What I meant by AI is will the soldiers use cover like walls of their own accord and will the enemy AI garrison buildings etc.

The game doesn't go into the granularity of individual soldiers seeking cover, but infantry units will automatically seek nearby cover (forests, hedgerows, buildings) when stationary.

I actually believe that is something closer to the WIC infantry than with the COH's one.

I've been racking my brain trying to remember where I'd heard the name 'Eugen Systems' before. They made a fantastic game called Act of War that was like a cross between C&C and the Commando series. This is definitely going to be a purchase for me.

I thought WIC was a great game - really enjoyed playing that. I'm certainly looking forward to this one.

I fear for this game being a crap WiC so where uncertainty takes, piracy gives.

Also, do I see a fucking CG Stingray in the database?

just noticed

no planes according to the database..please say it aint so lol

How did you get to play this Breakerchase? Some place you could sign up or what?

Yeah, signed up for the closed beta in October/early November.

If there were planes, I'd love to see them implemented Steel Panthers-style. In a 1970s/1980s Cold War environment the majority of air-delivered munitions were unguided, and most of the aircraft (with the exception of jets like the F-111 and Su-24--they would not belong on the WEE-scale tactical battlefield anyway) did not have all the sophisticated gizmos we expect now in "modern day". :)

I'm sure there are planes for the purposes of flyby airstrikes and drops. Shame not to see loitering A10s and Su-25s, but my impression is that the game strives for realistic scale. And just like in ArmA, you just don't have enough space to do planes well. (I know ArmA has planes, but any competitive RTS-like mission with combined arms would quickly descend into havoc if more than half a dozen jets were involved.)

There were no planes in the beta but I would like to see single airframes purchased for off-map one-use (or even two if the plane has remaining ammo) strikes.

It's interesting. I find the unit stat menus to be a pain to read but the game is pretty neat. Anyone want to get a few rounds in let me know.

DELETED cause this game is quite awesome.

Edited by GRS

Edit: yeah, this is one of the worst strategy games I've played to date. Just arty spam that can hit your FOB at the start of the battle. Fighting for a refund as I type. It has so much potential but its just another RTS spamfest game under the guise of a realistic large-scale tactics game from what I have seen. Your mileage may vary, but I'm certainly not happy.

I totally differ.

I'm blown away by this game!

In my opinion a proper strategy game that finishes what World in Conflict didn't: Full scale cold war. Just without annoying nukes.

Combining units really is necessary, so, as you said, if someone spammed artillery, just haunt them with your Attack helicopter and he'll see that having only artillery is hardly the solution.

I ran into artillery-spammers today, too, and that's how I got rid of them.

And if you encounter communist tank spam, just set up proper flanking units and your APCs are able to ambush them successfully. Yet again just what I did today, without any regrets.

I didn't notice any severe bugs, but then again I'm a BI developer, which pretty much makes my judgement on that subject invalid, but all felt okay.

Over all a very great game so far, but I'm only 4h into it. If I were asked what to compare this game, id descibe this as a World in conflict that was scaled up dramatically and cross-bred with World of Tanks.

When I get arty raped the second the battle starts, I tend not to care anymore. The helo spam is just as bad since AA isn't all that powerful unless you feel like wasting resources on entire platoons of it, at which point it just gets demolished by arty spam. Plus AA is nothing to write home about so you have to either hope the other guy sends his helos too far up or send send your AA forward and hope you don't get arty spammed.

I was hoping for more focus on tanks and infantry, I got the exact opposite. Spam arty, cover arty by spamming helos. But like I said, YMMV. In its current state this game is just not for me. Shame too since that is my favorite era and setting. :(

Edited by GRS

I didn't notice any severe bugs, but then again I'm a BI developer, which pretty much makes my judgement on that subject invalid, but all felt okay.

oh lulz

I've been playing more and honestly, I'm having some fun now. I don't know, I hated it at first despite loving similar games. My biggest grudge now is that infantry seems pretty useless compared to other units.

Still on the fence. Not sure if I want the game or my money.