Sign in to follow this  
5LEvEN

AI Grass Visibility

So I am wondering how the AI on servers handle grass. In single player I know it's dependent on the client, but what about multi player?

Example of what I am talking about.

No Grass

Go prone and shoot at AI. AI responds by going prone, and firing back at my position.

Grass On.

Go prone and shoot at AI. AI responds by going prone. The AI does not fire back.

Basically if I have grass on in a server which response would I get?

-Sorry if in wrong place-

Actually, the AI should always treat grass the same way, no matter if you have it on or off. The thing is, they don't actually "see" it, because calculating proper view blocking for grass would be a nightmare. Instead, there is a lot of approximation involved based on distance and some other factors. It is the same on the server as on the client.

Btw. the way AI grass visibility approximation is calculated has actually been changed in one of the latest betas. It is supposedly more accurate.

Actually, the AI should always treat grass the same way, no matter if you have it on or off. The thing is, they don't actually "see" it, because calculating proper view blocking for grass would be a nightmare. Instead, there is a lot of approximation involved based on distance and some other factors. It is the same on the server as on the client.

Btw. the way AI grass visibility approximation is calculated has actually been changed in one of the latest betas. It is supposedly more accurate.

Are you sure? Cause I ran the same test over and over with grass on and off, and I still get the same results. AI cannot see me with grass on; AI can see me and shoots at me with grass off. I recommend you set up your own test to see what I am talking about.

BTW I am on the latest Beta

So I am wondering how the AI on servers handle grass. In single player I know it's dependent on the client, but what about multi player?

Example of what I am talking about.

No Grass

Go prone and shoot at AI. AI responds by going prone, and firing back at my position.

Grass On.

Go prone and shoot at AI. AI responds by going prone. The AI does not fire back.

Basically if I have grass on in a server which response would I get?

-Sorry if in wrong place-

Probably is driven by the locality of the AI: if the AI is under your command, then your client settings will be what they are driven by, but if the AI is not under your command, then the server settings are what they are driven by.

Obviously, the implication is that AI under other player's control are driven by that player's client settings.