Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: I'm concerned

Quote Originally Posted by Johny View Post
    1 is total free roam campaign very similar to "action mode" in the original CC. You just set up how many islands you have and how many has your enemy and some other starting conditions and then it is just you against enemy carrier. This campaign is in itself a tribute to the original CC (key people at Bohemia Interactive themselves are fans of the original http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...mand-arma-iii/ ).
    Sorry for asking again, but I think this needs clarifying: in this free-roam "action mode" campaign you described, the islands are placed/generated randomly, yes? Or are the carriers just getting assigned some randomly picked islands in an otherwise static archipelago?

Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3 Motherboard | Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.0GHz | NVidia GeForce GTX770 4GB
    16GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz RAM | Kingston HyperX SSD | ASUS Xonar D2X
    sound | be Quiet! 700W PSU | Windows 7 x64

Thinking about it some more, it would be very difficult to make each island randomly generated with the building structures and roads/paths.

I suspect that the islands and archipelago will be pre-made and always the same but the purpose of each island might be random. So mining, research, defence etc may be different along with the buildings...

Would be good to know but even if its not random, with 33 islands it will take a long time to get boring.
    Last edited by EDcase; Aug 31 2011 at 09:49.

Private
    I tend to agree that the islands will end up as being pre-made, and that the island's purpose may end up random. But you have to consider there are other aspects that can help improve replayability.

For one thing, i'd be surprised if there wasn't a way to make the starting position of the carrier in the skirmish game be random (obviously in the water though!).

Let's also not forget that the game will be moddable. We're not yet sure to what extent, but it may even go as far as allowing modders to create new world maps for people to play on. Though to be honest, I doubt this'll happen any time soon. Still, the mods people come up with will help keep the game interesting.

I would say that there is another way to randomize the islands. While it isn't doable to randomly generate entire landscapes with functional paths and thought out environments, the islands' locations on the world map might be different. So even if each island in themselves are not changed from game to game, their location on the world map could be random still, as well as their purpose.
    It is said that the most lethal weapon or the most effective tool of all is man's brain.
    Then the destructive or creative possibilities of many minds working together is staggering.

In real life, I much prefer the creative cooperation part of this fact.
    In gaming, I can enjoy the combat cohesion without shame.

And if the islands would be randomly placed around the map modders wouldn't have to create/change whole maps but could design single islands to be imported into the game.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12