Sign in to follow this  
Hawk Firestorm

I'm concerned

I'm very concerned after watching the Demo.

Phrases like 'missions' and 'Strategic Elements' make me very worried indeed.

If you've taken the narrow minded approach of limiting this game single player experience to a limited selection of missions you've utterly borked the design to the point you've lost what made the original the classic it was.

Multiplayer is great but I'm seeing way too much arma and way too little carrier command in this title and its disturbing, if you guys want to release a naval expansion for the Arma series then go do it just don't call it carrier command.

It's simply not good enough to remake a classic utterly change its core game design principles and just slap a tag on the box for a game that isn't remotely close to the originals core gameplay other than it has a carrier in it!

Games can be single player and have excellent multiplayer too you know!

Lets have the core single player of carrier command with a random map v the AI and the excellent multiplayer we know from Arma please.

Edited by Hawk Firestorm

Looky here and lay your fears to rest.

In case you don't know, Gadgetmind is one of the developers of the original Carrier Command.

That might be so however from the demo it appears the single player is just a series of missions not the randomly generated and highly replayable random map as with the original.

Which is a core feature of the original I think.

Yes its nice to see Arma elements for multiplayer and the FPS side however I don't think that should be over and to the exclusion of single player.

That might be so however from the demo it appears the single player is just a series of missions not the randomly generated and highly replayable random map as with the original.

Which is a core feature of the original I think.

That's just the campaign, which is designed to gradually get the player acquainted with all the functionality it his disposal (as any good campaign should). I'm pretty sure they also said there was an open skirmish mode available, though there has been no word on whether or not the map is randomly generated.

Yes its nice to see Arma elements for multiplayer and the FPS side however I don't think that should be over and to the exclusion of single player.

There is no multiplayer, at least not on release.

The islands may be generated randomly. Duno.

But I see this first release as a SP introduction for us to play the campaign and get a feel for the game so we will be ready for the MP update.

I hope I will be able to alleviate your concerns.

There are 2 SP campaigns in game:

1 is total free roam campaign very similar to "action mode" in the original CC. You just set up how many islands you have and how many has your enemy and some other starting conditions and then it is just you against enemy carrier. This campaign is in itself a tribute to the original CC (key people at Bohemia Interactive themselves are fans of the original http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/13/bohemia-on-carrier-command-arma-iii/ ).

2nd is a story based where in the first part you are being made acquainted with the features of the carrier and stuff like supplies, manufacturing or maintaining and protecting your island network. You find out about these things gradually as you go through story.

Once you have your carrier up and running you will be free to navigate the islands you know about and choose where to attack. Your crew will give you hints, suggestions, portions of intercepted transmissions and stuff like that so that sometimes you got some idea what is on which island (eg. tough defense, some interested research center with possibility to find powerful weapon blueprints or enemy gummy bear factory).

You will also get objectives connected to story which should make you occupied and intent upon progressing further, finding upgrades and items to upgrade your vehicles with and thus make it easier to defend the enemy.

Sometimes you will have to leave the carrier yourself as a foot soldier or in a vehicle. These are the "missions" where the main character can actually die. But these are not the focus of the game and are meant to spice things up and not to kill the Carrier Command feel.

Thanks for the info.

I hope you guys do a good job, there's a great potential for this licence and indeed for many old games that need a revamp like armourgeddon and mechwarrior *cough*.

Johny: all great about SP campaigns, will there be option to play out campaign with friends as coop? It would kinda suck to have only TvT missions in MP.

Johny: all great about SP campaigns, will there be option to play out campaign with friends as coop? It would kinda suck to have only TvT missions in MP.

Actually, that sounds like an awesome idea, I second the notion for it to be implemented at some point, if not from the start.

1 is total free roam campaign very similar to "action mode" in the original CC. You just set up how many islands you have and how many has your enemy and some other starting conditions and then it is just you against enemy carrier. This campaign is in itself a tribute to the original CC (key people at Bohemia Interactive themselves are fans of the original http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/13/bohemia-on-carrier-command-arma-iii/ ).

Sorry for asking again, but I think this needs clarifying: in this free-roam "action mode" campaign you described, the islands are placed/generated randomly, yes? Or are the carriers just getting assigned some randomly picked islands in an otherwise static archipelago?

Thinking about it some more, it would be very difficult to make each island randomly generated with the building structures and roads/paths.

I suspect that the islands and archipelago will be pre-made and always the same but the purpose of each island might be random. So mining, research, defence etc may be different along with the buildings...

Would be good to know but even if its not random, with 33 islands it will take a long time to get boring.

Edited by EDcase

I tend to agree that the islands will end up as being pre-made, and that the island's purpose may end up random. But you have to consider there are other aspects that can help improve replayability.

For one thing, i'd be surprised if there wasn't a way to make the starting position of the carrier in the skirmish game be random (obviously in the water though!).

Let's also not forget that the game will be moddable. We're not yet sure to what extent, but it may even go as far as allowing modders to create new world maps for people to play on. Though to be honest, I doubt this'll happen any time soon. Still, the mods people come up with will help keep the game interesting.

I would say that there is another way to randomize the islands. While it isn't doable to randomly generate entire landscapes with functional paths and thought out environments, the islands' locations on the world map might be different. So even if each island in themselves are not changed from game to game, their location on the world map could be random still, as well as their purpose.

And if the islands would be randomly placed around the map modders wouldn't have to create/change whole maps but could design single islands to be imported into the game.