Sign in to follow this  
nikiforos

Anti-Aliasing, how important is it for you?

Hello my brothers in arms :)

I would like to know your opinion about Anti-Aliasing and if you are using it and if so how important it is for you?

I would also like to know what level u are using and also hear why people choose not to use it.

Have a nice day :)

I like to use it ,because i got 24" lcd monitor

In ArmA 2 am using maximum AA , in other games mostly 4x-8x

24" monitor

114% resolution with AA on medium does it for me.

And yes it´s important for me to have AA...

Yep I use as well, it's important to me.

Do you feel a big difference in graphics to justify the lose of FPS ?

Edited by Nikiforos

Next to none during combat

I have an AMD card (HD5970 oc), my AMD card doesn't like AA! I have mine set to 'normal' but I have to set AToC to zero or I get a slideshow.

To be honest, having played around a lot with this in Arma, I can't see that much difference with AA on or off - so for me, it's not really worth the FPS hit.

By the way I am running at 2560x1600 on a 30" Dell.

Edited by Jedra

Yes I would notice a difference.

Playing on my 22" monitor might not be so bad without AA... but lately I've been playing on a 50" plasma and I think that would look pretty bad without AA, especially considering the resolution is only 1920 x 1080 at that size.

But football season starting soon means more important things for my TV to do. I need to go back to a monitor so I am picking up a 27" today, which will also need every bit of AA I'm sure.

I could live without it but then I'd find it difficult to see precise details, such as what weapon a soldier is carrying at medium to long distances. I currently have it off with Morphological filtering enabled in my driver software.

I almost never use it unless perhaps I am playing a low tech game on a single screen.

If I am playing a console port or something that is not very demanding on my system anyway, I'd chuck the AA on full. If I could be arsed.

I think that once you are using resolutions above 1024x768 there really is very little point. Under that, jaggies used to be oh so obvious, but these days running at such high resolutions already, AA seems very pointless to me. I would far rather exchange AA for the increased FPS.

AA is just about the most resource demanding FX for a GPU. If you use it, you are taking a very big hit on your FPS. For myself, who plays games on very high resolutions, the jaggies are not the primary concern, FPS always is. So I turn off AA.

Edited by Baff1

As a rule, I won't play games where it can't be enabled.

Even at 2560 x 1600, I find the difference very noticeable.

Very important, using it and AF on max setting simply as anything else makes ArmA2 look rather uggly on my HD6950 because of the blocky AF filter... so lower settings are saddly no option if you want a smooth picture.

No idea why but in A2 the filter difference between Nvidia and AMD is extreme, cant see that extreme differences in other games.

Edited by Shadow NX

As a rule, I won't play games where it can't be enabled.

Even at 2560 x 1600, I find the difference very noticeable.

Any chance you could post a before and after picture to show this?

I am not doubting you at all it is just that I have played around with this a lot and can't seem to convince myself that AA makes a difference. People have said before that it is because I am running at 2560x1600 so it would be useful to see some shots from someone with the same res.

I had the same issue with Shogun2 - I just could not see where the AA was making a difference. Other games it is obvious, but these tend to be older games.

If you can't see it, no pictures are going to help you make the distinction.

It is immediately noticeable to me.

Some people say that you don't need AA @ 2560 x 1600 but I'd have to strongly disagree with that sentiment.

As far as Shogun 2 goes, I'd have to disagree with you there as well, it is very noticeable.

Guys I run the game 1920x1080 and made a lot of tests today with none AA and low,medium and high AA settings but cant see a big difference justifying the use of it.

I run the game with 22" monitor.

It's down to the individual player. Some people can live without it, others can't.

I think it's all about how OCD someone is about there image quality/detail. It's the little things like power lines, they look smooth and sweeping with AA on and a little jaggy with it off (there's a ton of little detail that AA smooths). At high resolutions any modern game looks pretty awesome, especially compared to console games that don't use it. Take a great looking game like Arma running at a high res like 1080 and add AA and you really get a somewhat photo-realistic looking game play (When you have the hardware too).

It's personal preference for those with good hardware and sadly usually not an option for those with old hardware.

@BangTail, look at your systems specs.... Holy crap man, I'd have AA and everything for that matter cranked to the max (except PP, I hate the fussy soft look of it). I'd like to see some screen from your rig in game at hi-res.

Edited by AJAX420

I have it off. I can deal with the jaggies, but I cannot deal with low FPS.

I have it off. I can deal with the jaggies, but I cannot deal with low FPS.

Best post in this whole thread right here.

-X

(except PP, I hate the fussy soft look of it). I'd like to see some screen from your rig in game at hi-res.

I can't stand post - it makes ArmA 2 look like Fable.

I actually play the game with it off, I actually prefer it that way.

The huge increase in fps does help but I've always preferred a more jagged look when it comes to games graphics especially in ArmA 2... I think cause it reminds me of OFP :D

I get upwards of 10-20 more frames when playing with AA off and although my computer can happily get by with AA on I still prefer to play with it off.

I'd run it if it didn't look like garbage right now. Latest patch made it all the plant life all pixally. It is fixed in the beta patches, but I will wait until they release the official patch to enable it again.

-X

I like it and leave it at medium. Not essential but game looks better with it and I don't notice much of performance hit.